Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DooWap

Cold or Warm Opener

20 posts in this topic

So with opener less than 2 weeks away, what's everyones predictions on the thermometer reading that first morning? So far the weather has been pretty chilly for this time of year so I'm thinking we'll be looking at about 10 degrees just north of brainerd.

i can never figure out whats gonna happen in this state. one day it will be 60* out and sunny and the next the lows are in the teens and it's snowing, then it warms back up and still snows. i have no idea!

I pack everything I own just in case. I have seen openers that started -10 and went to 40 by noon. You can't figure Minnesota weather.

I second that, I remember a couple years back when it was -10 in the morning and by the time I was dragging out my deer at 11 it was in the 30's or 40's and I was sweating with all my gear on!!

Accuweather says a high of 40 for Saturday the 4th (Aitkin area). That'll change 10 times between now and then though. As long as it isn't as warm as last year, I'll be happy. All the Asian beetles woke up and were crawling all over my stand. Deer hunting in blue jeans just isn't right either.

I'm with hollywood, I hate hunting in a tshirt and shorts. I'm always wishing that we have about 2" of snow for the opener. if snow stayed in warmer temps, i wouldnt complain as much smile.gif

I'll take a crunchy 3" of snow on the ground and a high of about 32... just so the snow doesn't get soft. Cloudy skies and no wind.

With the full moon on Sunday, I am really hoping for a thick cloud cover and cool days.

Personally I am hoping for 28 snowing hard and no wind.

It sure would be nice if someone granted requests. I like it cold - maybe 25 degrees with a 3" blanket of fresh snow!

But heck, I'd be out there if it was 80 and sunny or -10 and windy.

Just saw a prediction for 60. Hate to hunt in my underwears.

almostthere,

I sure hope you are in rochester or mankato or even farther south because I want snow.

Well maybe so, but please don't take them off...

Just a few years ago I remember hunting in tennis shoes and a long sleeve shirt by late morning; and that was the second week of the 1A. Every step sounded like you were walking on potato chips.

Weather service now says night lows in the mid 20's and day highs mid to upper 30's.

Would anyone here not go because of the weather?

DD

Quote:

I second that, I remember a couple years back when it was -10 in the morning and by the time I was dragging out my deer at 11 it was in the 30's or 40's and I was sweating with all my gear on!!

I remember that. That was a weird year. I would image this year will be pretty mild. That if fine with me. We don't need snow for deer hunting anyhow. But if it is here I won't matter to me. 60's might be a bit to much though. The 10 day for my area says 40's for high and snow flurries for sun possible.

I"m a bow hunter 2 but for some reason I like a little snow on the ground for rifle season. But no matterr what I will be on stand 20 to 30 min. before shooting time.

Last year was was the most dramatic weather I had ever hunted in. On Friday I had gotten to my grandparents, it was 72 degrees out and I even saw a few mosquitos. Saturday while hunting it rained a little, there were a few claps of thunder, and then right at sundown the skies got green and it hailed 3 different times that night. Sunday morning (the next morning) there were flakes of snow flying around! WEIRD!!!

We hunt shotgun in SW MN, but it would be nice if the high was around 30 degrees with lows in the mid teens. About 7 years ago we had lows around 0 with highs in the teens and the bucks were absolutely everywhere, so that would be nice, but a bit cold. smirk.gif

it says maybe even 50s for this weekend accordiong to star trib

4-9" of snow for Baudette area with highs in low to mid 30's Sat. and lows in upper teens for Sat. night and then 40-45 on Sunday. Just perfect if you ask me, unless the snow gets crunchy.

not me, I would go in a blizzard, rain, -30, +80, wouldn't matter