• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Why some will never shoot a big buck

tjm

I had a chance to hunt with a guy the last couple days that has not shot a big buck ever.1 reason i heard was the area he lives in does not hold a big buck.The other reason i heard was when he(they) went to other states deer hunting the area was full of lil shiots and the neighbors had killed the big bucks all off

Well after hunting 1 1/2 days with this guy heres my best guess why he WILL probly never kill a big buck

Old school hunter

Thinks big bucks hide behind every tree just because the guy he's hunting with has shot a couple

Plans a week long trip and goes home after 1 1/2 days

Knows 2 or 3 bucks are in a 1/2 mile area yet decides to hunt 3 miles away

Sees deer on his stand yet complains because there not big enough

To top it off he just lost the best chance he will ever have to shoot a monster buck at a very cheap price of free

He is not a member of this site either

Just a guy who reminds me of several hunters i have had convo's with over the years

So everyone stop and think about what hunting actualy is before ya open your mouth or press a few keys

Ya dont have to kill something to have a good time

Tjm- I understand some of your post, but have to defend those of us who will never shoot a big deer.

Some us just enjoy the hunt, its not about how big the deer are. Sure, I'll complain from time to time about seeing a lot of deer that are small, but in all honesty, I enjoy every deer I see.

I appreciate your willingness to help others while in your quest for big deer, but we are not all cut from the same mold you are cut from.

Well, there are some people that never shoot big deer and never complain about it and don't care. That is a major percentage of hunters I believe, and there are people that never shoot big deer and always complain about it but never change their tactics. I think that is the group tjm is referring to.

Trophy is in the eye of the beholder though.

A deer is a deer is a deer.I like shooting bigger bucks also,but a deer kill is a deer kill.

I would rather shoot 3 doe a year and a nice buck every 5 years than sit and wait for that big one.Every one has thier own goals.

I personally have a very hard time letting a deer walk by.I love to shoot any deer.The guys that I hunt with sometimes laugh at me because I will shoot so many does.Doesnt bother me as I am having fun.

My son chooses to only shoot the big ones and that is his personal choice.Alot of people dont care and if it happens thats great.

When I was younger my goal for the day was to shoot a limit of pheasants or it was not any fun.Now when I go its more fun to just watch the dog work the birds and if you get one or two thats fine.

Well said, fellas. If you can't enjoy the process and are only focussed on the endpoint, then I'd agree with the sentiments above- you're missing the point.

That being said, I bust my butt every year looking for a huge buck. Far more often than not I don't get the one I'm looking for. However, I don't ever remember a year of hunting that I didn't enjoy the heck out of.

Quote:

So everyone stop and think about what hunting actualy is before ya open your mouth or press a few keys

Well, I guess I have a totally different stance on what hunting really is! IMO, it is far for shooting big bucks, like your whole thread revolves around it seems.

Hunting is spending time with nature with the chance to test your odds against animals in their world, as a bonus. It's getting away from the every day life and enjoying the piece and quiet. Spending time with friends and making memories. A deer is a bonus. Do I care if I end my hunting season without the big boy? No, not really at all. And, I certainly don't have to have venison in my freezer year after year.

I still would like to see the proof in the pudding. smirk.gif

wow, actually i would be happy to shoot a doe. or even see one i was mad cuz i passed on a doe the first day last season i regretted it after i only saw white flags running away from me. if it's brown, it's good eating (doesn't rhyme but makes sense)

I like the rest would love to shoot big deer every year, but if I can go out and harvest a couple of does and help out a landowner with an overabundance of deer, then my job as a hunter is complete. I have one stand this year set aside that I will only harvest a big buck that I have trail camera pictures of or no deer at all. The rest of my stands will be entered with the intentions of filling a doe tag for the freezer, or if a bigger buck happens to walk by than the one I have pics of then it is his unlucky day, and my lucky one.

I am a big believer that spending countless hours in the field and with your eye glued to a spotting scope will produce big deer consistently, but big deer just aren't everyone's overall goal. I don't think there are too many hunters who wouldn't love to shoot a monster, but time may just not allow it to happen.

Hunting is about getting out and enjoying nature, solitude and friendships. (Not saying that you don't do all of these things) Harvesting a deer is the overall goal, and harvesting a monster is a bonus for most.

TJM: It sounds to me like you are one HECK of a deer hunter. You put countless hours in doing your homework and it pays off. Most probably envy your scouting ability and consistent harvest of big deer. I think it is fair to say that everyone appreciates your advice, and hopes that one day they will be able to take advantage of some of your tips. Just remember that not everyone has the time or knowlege to become that expert deer hunter instantly. Part of the game is learning from mistakes and figuring out how to avoid those same mistakes in the future. I'm sure you have had plenty of these experiences.

I agree, just getting out is fun enough. Taking a doe for jerky and roasts, even better. A big buck? it takes luck or skill BUT with that being said, you have virtually no chance of shooting anything with big horns if:

1. you smoke in the field

2. you break the Carharts out of the basement that you run the snowblower in (if I think they stick a deer certainly does)

3. Like to hunt from the truck.

4. Don't have good clothes and gear to help you sit a while.

5. Show up opening day, hang a stand 50 yards off the road.

Now don't get me wrong, you can certainly have fun without shooting a truckload of deer, but if you ain't trying real hard you really can't complain either.

it's called "hunting" not "shooting"

I will agree with David Franks post.If you do everything right your chance of harvesting a bigger deer will increase.It sure does help if you hunt all the time.I spend probably about 35 days a year hunting deer and my numbers should show that.If I am sitting in a stand 10 times more than the next guy and doing things the way it should be done,yes I will see more animals.

Not everyone has that time.

ChuckN,you have the game figured out for sure.

I for one will likely never shoot a big buck. Why? For most of the reasons TJM mentions. It's disappointing to think about, to some degree, BUT, deer hunting is so much more than getting the big one.

To be able to shoot a big one...you got to have one very key factor....time...all kinds of it! For those like myself, lots of extra time is not a luxury. I have a wife that has needs, kids who have needs, a job that at times requires me to work nights, house work and yard work, and the list keeps going. What free time I do have, I like to spend going fishing or hunting waterfowl. When deer hunting rolls around, we go with my uncles to the spots they have gotten permission to hunt, and we hunt for 3 days (law only allows 4 maximum for the season we hunt).

So will I ever shoot a big buck? Nope, never....not unless I pay a few thousand dollars to go hunt some deer ranch like they do on TV, and that's never going to happen. But that's okay, as long as I can still get together and have fun at my grandparent's house with the rest of my aunts, uncles and cousins, it's been a good deer hunting season.....deer or no deer, big buck or no big buck.

Quote:

I for one will likely never shoot a big buck. Why? For most of the reasons TJM mentions. It's disappointing to think about, to some degree, BUT, deer hunting is so much more than getting the big one.

To be able to shoot a big one...you got to have one very key factor....time...all kinds of it! For those like myself, lots of extra time is not a luxury. I have a wife that has needs, kids who have needs, a job that at times requires me to work nights, house work and yard work, and the list keeps going. What free time I do have, I like to spend going fishing or hunting waterfowl. When deer hunting rolls around, we go with my uncles to the spots they have gotten permission to hunt, and we hunt for 3 days (law only allows 4 maximum for the season we hunt).

So will I ever shoot a big buck? Nope, never....not unless I pay a few thousand dollars to go hunt some deer ranch like they do on TV, and that's never going to happen. But that's okay, as long as I can still get together and have fun at my grandparent's house with the rest of my aunts, uncles and cousins, it's been a good deer hunting season.....deer or no deer, big buck or no big buck.

Eric,you are having fun and isnt that what it is really all about?

Why? Because antlers don't taste good. wink.gif

Some guys just don't get it: the meaning of hunting, that is.

No set of antler is big enough for some, no matter how big those antlers may be.

Some guys just do not see, know, or have the knowledge to sit where a mature buck puts his markings.

Some guys just do not have the stamina to sit still long enough.

And most importantly: some guys just do not care whether they shoot a monster buck, a forky, or a doe. The trigger finger is way too inchy during said time. A doe on the meat rack is worth a million antlers roaming the woods. Anyways, bucks are so stupid during this period that I have shot does and fawns already and see mature bucks following the does' trails. Oh, I shoot them too.

I agree with that.

Now same question for fish!

I catch and release EVERYTHING so why bother heading up north to battle the crowd on the best walleye spots when I can head to the river and catch 20 pound plus carp!

Who wants to catch and release a 30" walleye when I catch huge catfish 5 miles from my house every weekend? And BTW, having a beer watching a bobber is WAY less work than back-trolling.

Anyway, it's all about fun and fun is in the eye of the beholder.....

I love deerhunting. Actually one of the favorite aspects of it for me is scouting and then sitting to see if I can learn from my scouting. I have shot a couple 8's a 4' 2 6's and a load of does. Nothing big and actually lately not even a buck. I enjoy everydeer I shoot. Last year I passed up on the small bucks waiting for the big one. Well I never was in the right place at the right time however I still filled my freezer with does. This is a new year and I have a few good spots to hunt. We will see what will happen. I have already shot 1 doe so a good year I have had already. To me mostly deerhunting is about fun. And getting away from everyday life. Hopefully someday I shoot a big one but untill then I know I will have fun shooting the does.

Absolutely Tom. It's all worth it seeing relatives again, hashing over deer hunting stories from long past, rubbing it in on stories from the present year. It's a real family extravaganza. And the best part...dinner on Saturday and Sunday night!!! Saturday night after we get in from hunting, it's usually home-made hotdish night! Sunday night is home-made soup night! OHHHHHHH my mouth is watering thinking of it! Pepparoni hotdish, chow mein, green bean caserol, firey hot chili, brocoli cheese, wild rice....and that's only half of them! grin.gif

This is all on my mom's side of the family. She's got 9 other siblings who all have families, etc. So it's a big gathering and just about every hotdish and soup in the book is made for everyone to eat like kings and queens. grin.gif

Yeah baby...that's what I'm talkin' about! Good family times. laugh.gif Okay, now I'm pumped for deer hunting! wink.gifgrin.gif

Oooo...can't forget one of my favorites either...Oyster stew! Mmmm! cool.gif

WOW am I going to get ripped for this comment. Those that say there are not hunting for horns are usually the weekend warriors who dont put the TIME, MONEY, or EFFORT into making it happen. Dont get me wrong harvesting does are great and my blood still boils when I knock one down, but when was the last time you opened up a hunting calendar and saw a bunch of hunters posing with their doe kills.

The more I type the more I think I am digging a hole, this post DOES NOT BY ALL MEAN I am ripping on anybody for shooting does or NON-MONSTER buck's. There are so many variables that go into harvesting a monster and I agree TJM's biggest asset I think is his area, now from what I am reading he is a great hunter but without that area he hunts it would not happen as many times as it has. I live in the UP of Michigan and I can honestly say I hear about 2 B&C taken within a 50 mile radius each year, now to see tons of P&Y bucks during a single season just wont happen where I am at. My personal best is a 126 and I can say that was the biggest buck I have ever seen while I was hunting...

But what I can say about my area is we have an abundance of 2.5 to 3lb perch, so do I get upset for fisherman who take the 1 pounders and not let them grow of course not…

Hey TJM, how about this I will trade you a hunting trip for a fishing trip, you put me on a 150” and I will get you a 2.7 lb perch or better. Boy am I a dreamer…

Well I have broad shoulders so start slamming me.

grin.gif

First off there are all sorts of hunters in this world.

I have had the misfortune of hunting with and trying to teach an opportunist how too bowhunt for deer. For six years a freind of mine and I have put him on stand so he could shoot a deer and making this opportunistc attitude out fault. We have tried to teach him and show him the ropes with little or no success due to the lack of willingness on his part to learn or try. Well this year he is on his own, and so far as predicted, a vegitarian meal plan is in effect for him. This being said, I think I understand what tjm was trying to get across to everyone.

I relish the outdoors and after 35 years of bowhunting I still love the persuit of a big buck. I do not apologize for it and I don't expect anyone else to understand it. In my opinion trying to figure out a good buck on his own turf under his rules is a challenge and at times I get possessed by it, but that's my problem.

So before anyone chastizes anyone for their views on deerhunting/buckhunting, try to understand that we are all individuals with individual goals.

If you want to hunt a big buck... go for it, if you want to hunt for a meat deer... go get 'em and if you just want to be around deer camp and not even go hunting... enjoy! The key is having a pleasant and memorable experience no matter what your reason for hunting.

Those that say there are not hunting for horns are usually the weekend warriors who dont put the TIME, MONEY, or EFFORT into making it happen.

I will not rip on you to bad.You can buy the equipment,put in all the time you can and effort and it might still not happen.I do believe that B&C states that one buck per million makes that status.Now,figuring your odds,not many will harvest one of that size.

Many people still do believe that the hunt is a time of the year when all old friends can come together for a great hunt.1 big buck will not change that.

I have shot my share of nice bucks but I would not classify myself as a great hunter.I will say I have done my homework and have been fortunate enough to buy good equipment and have alot of time to spend in the woods.Will a trophy buck allow myself to have a better time with friends than a doe,NO.

I guess maybe I have said enough.

I'd love to shoot a big buck every year but it just dosn't happen that way. Heres why I believe I don't.

1. I don't own any land. Its alot easier to get a big buck if you have land and food plots. I have to hunt public land thats close to town due to my lack of time. Therefore I'm hunting areas that have hunters every 100 yards.

2. Not enough time. Between family and work and my love for duck hunting I get in a stand maybe twice a week if I'm lucky. I just don't have time to get way back in the hard to reach spots.

I know alot of guys that are throphy hunters. They hunt everyday. They sneak into areas and maybe shoot a min after hours. They shoot there big backyard pet deer. They give me a hard time because I don't shoot a big one every year. When they have 3 or 4 a piece.

I see lots of does and small bucks and I let them go. Once in a great while a decent buck comes by and I will put him down. If that makes me a bad hunter because I can't get a big one every year so be it. I enjoy it and try not to let everyone elses racks bother me.

I have to agree with the perchking. Not always, but many, many times, the same guys that are saying "I hunt for fun and to fill the freezer" are the same exact guys that also say "hunting my area sucks cause we don't have any big bucks". Everyone wants to kill a monster and if you say you don't care, you are not being truthful.

I agree with everyone here that hunting is a great sport and that's what it's about...not the kill. But, shooting a nice whitetail sure is a one-of-a-kind feeling.

My take away from the original post was don't b*tch about your hunting situation if you don't want to take the time and effort to scout, read books, watch movies, check trail cams, etc. etc. etc. If you don't make the effort, then you aren't going to shoot a mature deer.

TJM has offered as much valuable advice on here as anyone...and he gets ripped. I just appreciate the good info sharing....and I don't care whether his property is better than mine. Believe me, I'm jealous of his situation, but I'm not going to rip him and try to discredit his stories.

It's amazing how these threads grow warts!

Well said BMAC I have a friend that puts about 1 hr a year in scouting and each year at deer camp he says, "My 75lb doe (Fawn) is going to taste way better than your 190lb 8ptr. And I guess he is correct. Just hearing him say that is what deer hunting is all about smile.gif

So it's okay for TJM to rip on guys who will never get a big buck such as myself, but people like myself cannot defend ourselves against his comments? Is that it?

I for one know I will never shoot a big buck. Disappointing, yes, but I can live with that fact. It's not going to consume me and drive me nuts though. And that's because the whole experience is more than just shooting the big one. Maybe you or someone else can't imagine it, but there are those of us out there that are perfectly fine with getting something less than the big one. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, so be it. I'm still going to have fun regardless.

Okay, I've said enough now too. smirk.gif

Looks to me like this thread is going nowhere.I do believe we all have our ways of deer hunting that suit each person fine.

I am going to lock this thread as when we start to go maybe to far it is not needed on this forum.There is no usefull info left that is getting posted.