Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
night bite

training book

6 posts in this topic

I have a 4 month old black lab that I plan on hunting on land and water. I have only had him about a month but i have the retrieve, stay and sit down pretty good with him. But im wondering what is a good training book or any suggestion on where to find good training tips. Also I have shot over him plenty and we are good there also. Thank You

Game Dog by Richard Wolters.

thank you. I talked to a buddy yesterday and he is bringing that book to me today. He said that is what he used and it work very well.

Just a word of warning about Wolters methods - take his lessons for what they're worth and let common sense rule where it may seem to contradict him. I have heard more than a handful of stories of guys darn near ruining their dogs trying to stick to his timelines and routines.

There are many other great training resources online and in print and video. Soak up as much as you can and use the best elements from each program to suit your needs.

Good luck,

Blaze

I also bought another book called "The 10 minute retriever". It was written by a couple who do dog training and they live in MN. I find it to be a good book and its nice to get a couple different ways of doing things.

Thanks alot guys. the time line thing with wolters i am already behind so im going at my own pase. but what i have learned from the book does make a lot of sense but i will be checking into other methods and comparing them.