• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

where to mount downriggers....

As you know, in late summer i bought a alumnacraft navigator. I cannot find a spot to mount my walker downriggers on this boat. The mounting plate is wider than the gunnels. I see the walker company has a raised mounting base with a narrower base to mount on the gunnels. Will this work or do you all have better suggestions?

Also, The gas cap and the hole for the light are right on the back. I dont want to have to get rid of my walker riggers and be forced to buy a whole new set as these are in good condition

Is there room on the gunwale to mount a persuit or big jon rail/track system so you can just slide them in and out when when You need them ,,,I have a tiller boat I was thinking of putting riggers on and will have to go that route

Randoid

The gas cap on the back left corner is foolish.

With gunnels that thin you need to make a mount up or mount 1 mounting plank off the rear the whole width of your boat. I have some eagles feet that Paul W. gave me for my boat but they didnt work out the way I hoped. Your welcome to them if ya like. Paul if ya read this will you post a pick of your trolling platform on here?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm not for sure on the Navigators setup Eagle Feet would be a good solution and are removable.

when I first bught my boat there was a raised platform on the back where the other guy mounted his riggers. Its a 2x10 (or so) with two brackets on the end to raise it up, not sure how wide. the board could be cut for less width, I did not like it so I took it off. how it just sits in my garage, you are welcome to it if you like, I am just south of caynon off 53.

SORRY FOE THE LATE INFO, PURSUIT MAKES A SLIDING BRACKET FOR DOWNRIGGERS THAT FIT ANY APPLICATION,MADE OF ALUMINUM AND THEY WILL FIT ANY APPLICATION FOR INSTALLATION.

Pursuit makes a good mounting system but with narrow gunnels it is tuff you will have to make a bracket to mount your stuff on? You have to look at all options before you do make that big choice to drill or cut? could be costly so take your time good luck smirk.gif.

NO NOT TRUE, THE MOUNTING BRACKET FOR THE PURSUIT THAT I HAVE IS ONLY 3.5''WIDE,MADE FOR HAVING THAT PROBLEM IN MIND.

OK laugh.gif You will need to make a bracket to mount the pursuit tracking to, All depends on the size of gunnel? You might not need to worry if it will fit where you want it to go. If you have to move it where you need it to go you might have to make some thing to make it go right where you would like it? I have rigged A lot of BOATS and I was just offering my two cents worth I do have pursuit tracking on all my BOATS and I like them they would be my fist choice cool.giflaugh.gif. Good luck on your choice.

DO YOUR APPLICATIONS BOLT RIGHT THROUGH THE BOTTOM WITH A FLAT BAR OR HOW DOES YOURS WORK?

THE ONE THAT I HAVE IS A SLIDING MEC WITH THE BOLTS FLUSH WITH THE SLIDING PLATE TO ALLOW THE DOWNRIGGER TO SLIDE FREELY THROUGH THE SLIDE PLATE. SLIDE RAIL IS 3.5 WIDE

AND 5 FEET LONG,THAT WAY YOU CAN PUT THE RIGGER IN ANY POSITION THAT YOU WANT AND STILL PUT THE PURSUIT ROD HOLDER NEXT TO THE RIGGER.

I have the same as you do. They only make the track one way so they are all the same and spendy. I have $3,500 invested in the charter Boat with this set up but worth every penny. It is just what you want to spend. For a boat like the one here I think $250.00 to $500.00 might be over Kill But it will be nice and he can take it off and put it on another Boat? With the all aluminum construction they will last several life times so worth the money smile.gif.

WHAT KIND OF BOAT ARE YOU SPORRTING FOR CHARTERING?

I GUIDE ON THE GREAT LAKES ALSO,I HAVE THE PALMER ON THE RIGS POST. INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU FISH FOR.

I too think the gas cap is in a dumb place, plus they mounted my GPS antenae back there, although I think it would be tough to access the downrigger in that spot. Here's a couple of shots of my Navigator to give you an idea of what Sachems downrigger mounting options could be. The rail is about 3.5" wide if I remember correctly. I'm curious as to how this turns out, I've held off installing rodholders on my boat until I explore all the options out there including downriggers.

192413.jpg

115641.jpg

On the Lund Tyee I had, I used a 2x6, Painted to match the color of the boat. I had my son make me 2 5x5 stainless brasckets bent at a 90 degree angel. 2 holes on each side of the boat, stainless screws, with wingnuts. It took about 10 minutes to put it on, and 10 minutes to remove it, If I wasn't going to be using the downriggers. Quick, Cheap, and it worked great.

I can not add now more to this post good luck I am out of answer until I see the boat? shocked.gifsmile.gifsmirk.gif.

If you look at Duffman's picture, mine is the same except it console operated. The problem I have is like Duffman said, the rail is narrower than the base of the down riggers. I never thought of the downrigger bar and will look into that. That may be my only option. The gas cap were it is on the navigator is what's preventing me from mounting it directly on the back