Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigWadeS

SNOW??

22 posts in this topic

Just wondering if there is any snow on the ground up in that area yet, comming up next week for some grouse and deer hunting and getting very anxious

Last Friday morning folks in Blackduck woke up to an inch of snow on the ground. On Sunday there was just a little left on the ground.

Grouse reports for us were great and ducks are here in full force. There are a lot of bills, mallards and divers around, we had a great shoot every morning.

Good luck

Kupcho

We've had a few flurries off and off, there's still a trace of snow left on the ground today. Upcoming forecast is showing in the low to mid 40's through Friday with a chance of snow showers Wednesday and Thursday; then cooling down with the highs in the mid 30's through the following Thursday (11/2). Had some folks up over the weekend grouse hunting and bringing back the birds, and some folks out in the woods checking out the area they hunt in when rifle opens and they are pretty excited after seeing some good size does and some nice bucks.

Docks are starting to come off the lakes, so looks like it's time to get the boat winterized, concentrate on grouse hunting and get ready for ice fishing.

Drake: Have bow hunters reported on the rut at all or scrape activity? A good friend of mine took a nice 8 pt. buck with a bow down here in southern Mn. and it looked like it was into the rut, with the swollen neck and the way it reacted to the deer scent he was using. We hunt up east of you 15 miles or so and would like to see a few inches of the white stuff on the ground and active deer on the opener.

Thanks for the update Drake, will have to try to stop in and say hi when I am up there

I was up last weekend... saw quite a bit of scraping already. Grouse was good. Ducks left our lake. Walleyes biting on Black Duck lake (landing barely accessable with the 14 ft duck boat though)!

Just like J.A. said, the hunters are coming back and reporting the scrapes, and the few that have gone out to check out their favorite hunting spots have said that they are seeing them out there, had a few folks that went out for archery that did pretty well on some large does...now to have a little snow on the ground next week! Next week I'll keep an eye on the forecast and put on here about mid week what the snow and temp forecast is predicted at.

Good luck to everyone.

There are a lot of scrapes and rubs in the woods right now. They are starting to chase a little bit. Last weekend I was bow hunting in the evening with a buck grunting and chasing after a doe already. It was too dark to see if he was big or not. I have also last weekend seen a spike chasing a doe. They are not in full swing yet but they are definately starting.

Good luck this season. A week and a half left to go!!!

Kupcho

We are heading up to Northome area and I will report on what we see in the woods. We have to take inventory for opener and see what we have to purchase before we head back up. Seeing lots of deer on the way to work in Red Lake. I saw 26 yesterday am and a coworker even got one with his van this am. Be careful on your drives, they are all over the roads and do NOT stop for you! grin.gif

Thanks for the info Woodsman, I know this time of year in that area they are always thick...when I was up about a month ago, between bemidji and blackduck I counted 32 I just hope they are still going to be around in 9 days

Well what a day in the woods with my father! grin.gif On the way up to Northome I saw 7 deer, 3 grouse and 2 woodcocks. Did I shoot any NO!! shocked.gif The grouse were so jumpy I just said see ya next year!

Dad and I walked and scouted the deer country out to see what has happened the past 2 weeks. We were going to move one stand due to no sign 2 weeks ago. Before we started to remove the stand I told dad that I wanted to walk around and scout one more time. I am so glad I did because I found 2 SCRAPES and 4 runs with in 100 yards of the stand. We decided to keep it there. We ventured to another stand and were blessed to see a HUGE doe and 2 fawns next to the beaver pond getting some water nest to MY stand! grin.gif We found some more rubs around that one. My dad's stand looked promising also with deer rubs and deer working the minerals! My wife's stand had the best sign as always! grin.gif Let me fill you in on this one. I gave her my stand 3 years ago because she was not seeing any deer in hers. That year she shot a 210 8pt buck, and last year a nice forky! This year she has numerous scrapes and rubs and major activity at her minerals within the past week.

Dad got excited when we finally found some sign. Last year we had lots of wolves and only managed to shoot 2 deer for the whole party. I hope my neice this year will shoot her first deer so I can rub blood on her face! grin.gifshocked.gif

A guy that my dad works with watched a little buck breed a doe in his field on Friday night, so it is time to relax and enjoy the wildlife in one's deerstand! Only days now and will be counting min soon! laugh.gif

Good luck out there and be safe!

Thanks for the report Woodman! Good luck to you, dad and Tiffany this year. Had a few out checking things out in the woods this weekend and they say it looks pretty promising out there by their stands also! Good numbers of grouse were seen and brought back this weekend also, so now the other half is out in the woods to see if he can get some fresh grouse for supper.

Upcoming forecast is showing a winter storm watch for Monday afternoon until Tuesday morning, with a 30% chance of flurries in the area Tuesdaythrough Thursday and sunshine and highs in the mid to upper 30's for Friday and Saturday.

Aside from Scott, who all will be out for opener looking for the 30 pointer? Good luck and safe hunting to all!

I'll be driving up on Friday night, hopefully one of my hunting buddies is going up on Wed. We hunt back in the Wagner Lake area.It hasn't been very good the last two years, but old habits die hard. If we have no luck on the opening week end, we will go over by Orr the 2nd week end. Thanks for the updates from Woodman and you Drake. And Drake, if you are as good as Woodman says you will arrange a nice 3 inch coating of snow on the ground for the week end with temps right around 20 at night and 35 during the day!!!!!!!

I will be up east of town looking for that "turdy point buck" be up Friday morning thru Wednesday

Just got in from outside and it is snowing pretty heavy right now with wind gusts. Did have a doe and fawn in the back yard about 8 pm sniffing the bird feeders. Looks like we can get anywhere from 1-5 inches tonight. I will post another update after work on Tuesday and for the rest of the week for you travelers. smile.gif

20 degrees and a slightly white covered ground this am in Bemidji! grin.gif

Thanks for the update...I am guessing some or most will melt or blow away but at least it is a start...

It was cold and blustery all day. It made trick or treating a challenge with the kido's tonight. It going to be cold again tonight, so hopefully that will trigger the bucks to be chasing the does in full force this weekend! grin.gif

Still snow on the ground and some buddies were out putting up their portables tonight and saw some fresh scrapes in their area.

I will update each night!

Thanks woodman I know I appreciate the updates as I am sure others do as well. You and Drake are a great resource for information in the area.

We received another swift of snow again over night. My yard is covered with white and it is cold this am. The wind is nasty. Listening to the weather right now and it is suppose to die down and warm up for the weekend. The local weather channel says lows of 20's at night and highs of 40 this weekend.

Hours and counting!

Woodman: Thanks for the encouraging report. We are staying in Squaw Lake, getting there for supper on friday night. As I mentioned before, we will hunt the Wagner area, might have some company this year since it is not a lottery area anymore. Hope we get more deer than the wolves did in the past year. I will post how we did when I get back Sunday night, Monday morning. Good luck and as always be safe in the woods.

Hey Woodman, I'm down in southern MN until tomorrow night, so your in charge of getting the weather gods to cooperate in time for opener weekend. Did see that there were scattered flurries in Blackduck this morning, and down in the teens tonight and tomorrow but not seeing any snow in the forecast..better get that snow dance started!

Good luck to everyone and keep it safe...looking forward to seeing what you all get. Did you guys see the picture of that non typical buck that gal got with the bow and arrow...just got a glimpse of it on the news this morning..14 pointer was it?