Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fishinalot

Range of a slug?

fishinalot

I have shot deer in the past with slugs 100 yds away. Where we Deer hunt, a new hunter has arived and set stand around 250 yds across the alphalfa field. I have never fired across that field. Do you suppose sabot slugs could bounce across the field and still be fatal at 250yds? Safety issue here.

harvey lee

I do believe that the slug could travel 250 yards.I dont know if I would want to be sitting across from a guy 250 yards away.Now if you are 15 feet in the air that would be somewhat better.

fishinalot

I am around 8' high, thats the only thing that makes it somewhat safer ? I guess. I just hope he knows the range, its very clear where my stand is.

harvey lee

I would talk to the other other to make sure you both know where each others location is and that should sure help.That of course is if you run into him sometime before the season.

It wouldnt hurt to put something blaze orange on the stand in his direction so he canniot forget where you are.

SartellMN

Some of the new Sabots have quite a bit of power. There was one slug that another person my hunting party was using that felt like a cannon when he shot. It must have had 2-3 times more powder in it than a normal slug.

If I were you, if you cannot see each other, than I would not do it. If there was an accidental discharge into the air, you could get hit.

If you can see each other, and can agree not to shoot within 5 degrees of each other, than I believe it would be safe to hunt.

I would definately talk with the other hunter to tell him where you are. The last thing you want to be is across the field from a 15 year old boy overly excited about shooting something. I have seen some kids do some really stupid things during gun season (like shooting across the road directly in front of my car).

eyepatrol

I agree with HL on this one. Communicate with the other guy and let him know where you're at. Make sure he can see you and you can see him. 250 yards is a distance for a slug, but I think it would still have enough left to seriously hurt someone. Being elevated will help. Big thing is to not try and lob shots across the field at deer that are in line with you guys.

xedge2002

I would definetly talk to him. One year I had shot a deer out in the middle of an alphalpha(sp?) field, it was on the top of a small knoll, and I was out their gutting it then all of the sudden I here a shot and a whistle, then another shot, a whistle and a thud about 20 feet to my side. I thought oh SH*T that dumba$$ is shooting right at me. I jumped over the deer and laid down as flat as I could. I know the deer wouldn't stop the slug but I was hoping it would slow it down enough to not kill me. He fired one more shot then the deer ran into the thickets. I still had all my blaze orange on so there is no way he couldn't not see me. Before I had a chance to go over and "talk" to him he left the field. I never did get the chance to talk to him but after that we have never had a problem.

I guess the moral is that it is better to talk to him now than later after the fact when tempers might be a little high.

tealitup

From the people who have had bullets/slugs "whiz" by their head... DO NOT TAKE THE CHANCE. I have had a slug hit the tree I was in. This is not something you want to chance. Is a deer really worth it?

Oh, the guy who shot the tree I was in... well his gun is in a lake somewhere.

xedge2002

did you put it there or did he?

tealitup

'I plead the 5th'

FarByondDrivn

I agree with everybody about the communication thing. Talk to each other and let each other know where you can and, more importantly, can't shoot. I have had whistlings slugs go over(very close from the sound) my head. The hunter who pulled the trigger was a couple hundred yards away. Better to talk about it before than having somebody getting hurt or a "heated conversation" takign place afterwards.

fishinalot

Thanks for the replys! If there was another place to hunt, I would. 10 years ago I had plenty of spots I could move to. Not anymore with all the woods beieg developed. It seems like every line fence has a stand every 100 yds in slug country!!

gspman

A slug will absolutely kill someone at 250 yds and much further.