• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

tips on ratteling

slopmaster

I have been reading some post from people on how they have had some succes ratteling and i was just wondering if anyone was willing to share some tips on how they prefer to do it. I have a rattle bag and i tried it a little tonight but didnt have anything come in. I was just wondering How long you usually rattle for and do you start off quiter and then really hammer them togeter. Also if im sitting in a area for 2 to 2 1/2 hours a night how many different times would you try ratteling or would you try it once and then just sit quitley the rest of the night?? thanks for any tips!

im not an expert on rattling but i have had some luck. first off almost always they come in downwind. when they come in if it isn't the most dominate buck they hang back in the brush and look for the other buck for quiet some time. if you have a decoy or a 3D target they help alot just place it up wind. be sure to be consealed and having some sents out, whether it buck or doe, is a good idea.

when im out in the stand heres what i do.

1. put out scent and decoy upwind about 20 yds

2. grunt a few times softly

3. after 5 min or so when i know there are not any deer around i grunt loud and a bit longer say 5 or 9 times

4. rattle litely for 20-30 seconds grunt a few times after

5. wait 10-15 min if nothing comes

6. rattle again loud and for 45-60 seconds grunt a few times after

7. if nothing responds ill wait 45-60 min before starting again at step 2

scent elimination is a biggy with this because 99% of the time they will come from down wind, so no farting.

i will get ready as soon as i put my rattle bag away, because if there big they come charging in. the little guys usually hang back and try to see how big the deer that were fighting are, unless they havent had their but kicked yet.

the response rate varries some days 2-3 times out of 10 something comes in other days nothing shows. i think the best times are before the rut really kicks off and again a few days after it ends. it doesnt work that great in an area that has a high doe to buck ratio either. it will still work but just not as well.

good luck hope this helps

slopmaster

a coworker of mine just last week took the morning off and did something that was pretty neat. What he did was in his stand he took the rope that he used for his bow to pull up and clips it on the string between a pair of real antlers (or fake) then lowers them to the ground. When on the ground he would slightly pick them up and drop them to the ground. Two things are working for you. The antlers are clanking or banging against each other and then the sound of the antlers hitting the ground sounds more like a pair of deer are fighting.

What happened next was a 9 pointer came in at a very agressive walk and he took a shot but no succces. Another benefit of this strategy is that the focus point for the deer is on the ground and not in a deer stand and could give your position away. Try that and see what happens. Timing I don't know because I haven't done it much with any success but thats what my coworker did and it worked right away. Good luck.

-mr wink.gif

Meat-Run,

That is a great idea! I kept trying to figure out how I could rattle without being seen. I never thought of that.

I thought it was a great idea that I needed to share and this was the perfect time and place. Just hope that other people give it a try and give some feed back on how it works. I'm kinda limited on my bow hunting with a new addition to my family. Next year will be my time to shine, hopefully!!

mr

I agree. The bucks will come in downwind almost all of the time.

I remember rattling in a buck last year and I was looking upwind -- which is where I saw him cross the field. Big mistake -- he was behind me and by the time I turned for a shot -- yep he bugged out and it was shotgun zone.

I won't make that mistake again. He had a really wide and tall rack.

meet run, that is one heck of an idea!

I heard that its worthless to try rattling where the doe to buck ratio is too high; but i wouldnt think it would really matter during the rut. because if this were true, it would be worthless for me to try here in bemidji

If rattling works 1 of 50 times your doing good, but its sure awsome when it does!!! It works good to have a decoy up wind (IF you have one.) Beat them horns hard, or dont be afraid to. I use big mule deer horns and they smoke alot when im rattling grin.gif but ive rattled in some dandies! The decoy is nice because it takes the attention off you. Never rattle or grunt when the deer is looking your direction. Rattle to get the deer in the vicinity but grunt them into bow range.

Rattleing can hurt you as much as help you. You are looking for a deer with the right attitude and that can change from day to day. It gets tougher to do once they get hooked up with does. My idea with rattling is, you are CREATING something. If a buck is bedded 200 yds from your stand and wont move till dark, rattling may get him on his feet, if a buck is cruising past you 100 yds away... rattle... what do you have to loose.

I ALWAYS rattle after Oct.25 and it can be very effective! Good luck to you!

We have talked about decoys befroe, but can the siloutte decoy work? or is the full body better? Do you face him upwind or downwind?

Flag with a string -- is that improtant?

I think a silo would work fine, better than nothing. I would face it down-wind but position it up-wind of you. When he circles he will see it and come in between you and the decoy. The look on his face will be PRICELESS when he sees that thing, lip lickin', ears back, stiff legged, and hair on end, the milli-second he sees that decoy!!! Its awsome! shocked.gifgrin.gif

Id put unscented toilet paper with tarsal gland on it. Dont put it on the decoy though just on a stick nearby it. A doe decoy can work just as good, then use doe in heat. When he sees her he wont wanna fight anymore, he'll just wanna BEEP! blush.gifIt dont hve to look real, those deer are half cranked and stupid when they come in expecting a fight and a hot doe. You can fool them with some pretty lame tricks that time of year!

Hope that helps, Im no expert, but Ive seen it work many times. wink.gif

I'm not an expert either,but there is something unexplainable about rattling any buck into your stand.Gotta love this stuff..good luck to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!c63

i have a flambo decoy, and it is great, but a pain to carry for a long ways. a warning about rattleing! be carefull of your thumbs ! you can't imagine how much it hurts if you smash one in between a set of horns on a cold morning frown.gif

So I rattled last night.

Just started my 3rd set as I looked behind me (downwind) and THERE HE WAS! He froze, I froze. His head was behind a tree at about 35 yards on a path that would have taken him about 30 yards broadside to me. He waited about 2 minutes, then jogged quartering away from me. I was able to stop him at about 40 yards when he stepped intot then next opening. With his 2 mintue wait I was able to calm myself.

I shot and saw "bark dust" as my arrow reached him. DEFLECTED!

AAAAUUUUGGGGG! I MISSED HIM! I missed him by an inch, otherwise my arrow would have stuck in the tree rather than glancing off.

Climbed down and found my clean arrow. Dang. He was a buck you know you want to shoot the second you see him. He would have been my biggest, probably 130 or so. I've been trying for over 2 years to get a shot at a deer like this.

I want to cry or scream...

Oh well, out to another spot for an hour this morning.

So Close!! Experiences like those are what make the successful ones so much better.

Hey Snapcrackpop.........your story got my blood pumping reminding me of last season. I was up in my stand and had a 8 walk past me about 40 yards away not paying attention to me and my attempts to get his attention. When I gave up and turned around I had a monster 10 looking in my direction broadside at about 20 yards! I froze at the same time my heart tryed to pound its way out. The second he dropped his head I grabbed my bow and pulled back. I lined my sight up........I lost him in the background of the trees. Now mind you it was getting close to the end of legal shooting. I was in the woods, it was cloudy. I took my eye off the peep and saw him. I put my eye back on the sights and he disappeared. He walked off. I know the shot was there and I am confident I would have hit him, BUT he walked off without me pulling the trigger. That in itself made all the times hunting worth it! That would of been my first deer EVER in 16 years! Looking back would I let him walk if that situation came about again...........You are darn right he walk off again!

1)I cant believe he didn't hear me walk in.

2)I cant believe he came from downwind without smelling me.

3)I cant belive I didn't hear him sooner in those dry leaves.

At least my setup was good, just looking the wrong way.

Nothing this morning.