Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snake River  King

Rush lake or Pokegama Lake?

13 posts in this topic

Hello Im going to put my permanent Ice house out on eather Rush or Pokegama Lake. My question is witch one would you guys recomend? I would like to fish for walleye and pike, but also would go for a good crappie bite to, what was it like on each of those lakes last year. The one thing I don't like about rush is that there are to many people who break into peoples houses.

Tough call there. They are both good lakes. I think the walleye bite on Rush is quite a bit better than Pokegama's in the winter. The crappie and pike bites are similar.

Theft and vandalism is an issue on both lakes. My brother had a bunch of his ice fishing stuff pinched last year in the driveway of my parents cabin on Pokegama. If one of the local methheads needs some money, anything is fair game.

What time of day will you be doing most of your fishing? My experience from years past is that the crappies on Rush don't bite much after dark. During the day I can go out there and pound them, but for some reason I have a hard time both deep and shallow after dark. Knock on wood, but in 2 years my house has not been broken into on Rush. It might be too late in the season now, but a little preseason scouting with the boat can work wonders. Last fall my buddy found a dead tree in 35 fow away from all the winter spots. When the lake was crowded, we could get away from the traditional spots and still stay on fish.

Bigfife,

You are still alive!

Maybe this winter can meet up on the lake. I bought myself a new buggy so that I don't have to walk or risk driving that truck out! Can't wait!

"hooks"

I will probobly fish more during the day but some at night also?

Hooks, I will be out on Rush as soon as I can satetly get out there. I got laid off a month ago, and I have been hunting about every day since. Bring on the ice.

Bigfife,

Quote:

I got laid off a month ago

At first I felt bad for you. frown.gif

Quote:

I have been hunting about every day since

Then I didn't feel so bad. Actually I think your bragging a little mad.gif

See ya on the lake grin.gif

"hooks"

Anyone know if these lakes have any cover of ice? In the bays?

I have no first hand knowlege... But if there is there is no way it would be safe.. and with the rain this am.. my guess would be no ice at all.

Pokegama was completely ice covered on Saturday. It was thin near the shores and refrozen many times in spots. My guess is the wind and rain ripped it open and removed the bulk of the ice.

If you are pining to get on the ice this weekend, neither Rush nor Pokegama will be an option.

I am definitely not looking at getting out anytime soon. Just trying to put together a time-line for when the ice will be safe.

I am aiming for late next week till early the week after for around the chisago area.

My buddy is going out to paterson park tommarro for tipup fishing, but I think I will wait one more week

if you fish more during the day i would go with pokegama i have a cabin near muffies and we always do real good on the pannies during the day but you are wasting your time on pokegama at night the water is to filthy plus being shallower the ice quality is usually better early!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables.

I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red

Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.

what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?

• I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?

• proguide

Posted

Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 

The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.

Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.

• leech~~

Posted

26 minutes ago, DANR said:

From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes.

Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :):)

• FishinCT

Posted

They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope

• gizmoguy

Posted

Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.

• From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 

• Hello Friends:

Looking for some help as I've been up here since yesterday morning and only two 22" walleyes. I've fished fairly hard (5 or 6 hours) and tried all of my normal spots in Frazer/Smarts/Narrows area using all presentations with minnows and crawlers. Would love to have a walleye dinner (couple of 15's) for my black lab and I tomorrow night and any suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm not looking for spots, but general depth and bait.

Thanks guys

Andy

• delcecchi

Posted

It is great.  I don't know if they are still doing grumpy gary chicken this time of year but it is good.  They have specials on various nights, at least in summer.  

• ZachD
      Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables. I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.   what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?
    • ZachD
      I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait
    • fins_n'_feathers
      any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?
    • proguide
      Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 
        The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.
        Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.
    • leech~~
      Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring!