• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Metro Get Togethers - Ice Fishing

Matt Johnson

I suppose it's about that time again... ice is right around the corner! smile.gif

So, anyone have an ideas for Metro Get Togethers this winter?

I plan on hosting one on Rush Lake on Saturday, February 17...

Last year we had a few around the Metro throughout the winter season. Should (knock on wood) have better ice this winter, so hopefully we won't be walking all over the place like we did last winter wink.gif

I'd like to put in a vote for Linwood or the Chisago area. I am just starting to fish this area sure could use some help.

If that won't work out I can surely put us on a bunch of 6" perch on WBL. grin.gif

If you're interested in Linwood or Chisago there's a UPL event on both of those lakes... Linwood in December and Chisago in January... www.ultimatepanfish.com

In the past I've opened these up as Get Togethers as well, so you don't have to compete if you don't want to... the competition is mostly just for fun anyways, entry-fees are pretty low...

I would like to see one in the south metro, Marion, Orchard, Prior, to name a few. But also wouldn't mind places like Medicine, or even Tonka.

They can be held on any lake. Just pick a lake and date and start a new topic showcasing the Get Together... anyone can host one...

I'd be willing to hold a late ice Panfish bonanza on Medicine if there's interest..... cool.gif

Count me in MedMan! Some great action out on Medicine during the winter months, late ice especially...

Now remember MNfishinguy, we can only go after them 6" perch if it's finger numbing cold out. We don't want to have too much fun. smirk.gif Maybe skip White Bear this year, but breakfast at Key's should still be a priority. grin.gif

I've got a lot of grouse hunting to do yet, but I have been pulling together the hard water gear.

I'll be looking forward to attending as many of these get togthers as possible.

Hey Joe, how's it going? Are you going to get any early ice fishing in this year or just hunt till 07'? I've made a few purchases this summer to make the early ice thing a little easier.

Things are going well. Now what did you buy?(atv)smirk.gif I can't buy anything else until I buy a bigger portable. The tub on my Fish Trap is already over flowing.

So what lake you thinkn' John? I'm up for any of the Chisago area lakes.

Yea, That's the area I was thinking. There is one lake that area we didn't get to last year that I want to get on this year.

I purchased a Fish Trap Pro for the early/late ice (easier pulling than the big portable) and the wife let me get a ATV for when the ice is thick enough for that. So if we have the same ice as last year we can get to some of those good spots this year. grin.gif

Only one??? grin.gif

A bigger tub just means a guy can bring more stuff.

What did you buy? Did you get a trailer too, or were you just going to load it up in the back of the pick-up?

What lake did you have in mind for a "get together"?

Sadly only one, for now, a used Yamaha Big Bear. The wife is starting to enjoy driving it around so maybe we will have an addition to the household later on, however I am starting to run out of places to put my stuff since it seems to keep getting bigger. Haven't purchased a trailer yet but will before winter. I like the idea of keeping the pickup bed empty for the houses and stuff.

The lake(s) I'd like to get to that we didn't last year shall remain nameless to protect the innocent, at least for now. wink.gif

Are you going to be able to get out much this winter?

Well, as we have been talking in another post...Prior Lake? There's already interest there for the locals, bring on some more, eh? I fished Lower mostly, but I'm game for either.

This will only be my 2nd year getting adicted to ice fishing. I would love to come to some get togethers and meet some FM folks and maybe pick a few brains.

I have not been on the site for awile but with ice on the horizon I had to check in. Nice to see some of the familiar ice guys starting to come out of hiding.

I may look to host another event this year. Last year we did one on Phalen as it was nearby to alot of the North metro anglers.

There was a nice turnout, the weather was good, but the bite was below average.

I have discovered a few smaller lakes in the Forest Lake area that put out some nice 12" crappies and a nice walleye bite. That might be an option but a bit more North.

I also like Medicine as central location. Pretty good panfish bite, a shot at a 10lb pike, and now a walleye population to target.

Matt has some good events planned for the ice events.

I will look for to attend a few metro evetns or plan one somewhere central.

Hey Mr. Pike, if you ever head to Phalen and want a fishing pal let me know. I live about 6 blocks from there.

Sandman, I will let you know. What I find with Phalen is the early ice is best. It is a great place to go early ice to test everything out. I got into some nice pike. musky and eyes just outside the weededges on the breaks. One of the pike was pushing 10 lbs and many of the eyes were in the 20" class. However, on subsequent visits later in the year the bite was not there.

Maybe you have some hotspots from living so close. I am within 5 miles of Phalen. It is easy access and close to home so if I need a fix early morning or after work it fits the bill.

Most weekends I am in the St. Cloud area, Vermillion, of some of the west metro lakes that I like for panfish

• 2 weeks later...

So, what's the latest? Anyone have any dates or locations set yet?

Who's all going to the Ice Show the first weekend of December?

Matt, I plan on doing a few of the panfish league events you host. Specifically Sara and Medicine. I also would like to organize a get together in the East or North East metro. I enjoy meeting fellow FMers with a passion for the ice. This fall I found a 234 acre lake just outside of what I would call the NE metro area. The fall bite for crappies was outstanding and the walleye bite was very good as well. The size would make for a very easy lake to meet and be able to cover. I will be hitting this early ice to see if the bite carried over and I can find a consistant bite on the ice.

I was surprised by the size and quantity of the crappies with many in the 11 and 12 inch class. The other surprise was the number of 12-16 inch walleye. I did some research on the DNR site to help me understand why. They have been doing annual stocking of 250,000 fry since the mid 90's and in 2000 they put in 1 million and in 2004 2 million eyes. Very impressive numbers for a lake under 300 acres with a max depth of 20 feet. The other impressive thing of note is that 80% of the crappie from gill or trap nets were 9-14" fish.

Bluegill also were present with 16 that were pulled in the nets coming in the 9-11 category. Again somewhat surprising

The crappie and bluegill data is all from the 2004 survery so very very recent and as I stated the fall bite was great so I am hoping this can be a go to lake on the hard water. I would imagine if I share the name of have the event there you will be familiar with the lake.

Matt, If I can not get out there early I may share the lake with you to do some searching on if your interested. All the data I shared you can confirm on the DNR site to verify what I am reporting. Anyway I think this lake may be an early or late ice diamond in the rough and 20 minutes away from me in Maplewood.

Mr. Pike, shoot me an email at [email protected]. I know what lake you are talking about and it's on my short list of lakes to try this winter. If it dosen't work out for that lake I have a similar lake about the same distance out that would also work.

Mr Pike, I think I have fished that lake before for walleye but didn't have much luck. The water clarity was very low so not sure if we needed to try new tactics or what.

Have you fished this lake in the winter and did you have any success? If so and if you would be willing to share any info, where on the lake were you finding fish and what did you catch them on (spoon with minnow head, just a shiner, etc)?

Please feel free to email me at landmagr at hotmail if you would like to keep your secret spots quiet...

MnFish- Glad to see you back on the board for the ice season. I sent you an e-mail so hopefully you got that concerning the lake in question. I am picking up a entry level sled and trailer to get some spots on the bigger lakes. Getting to old to pull out shack in deep snow

Eyeslayer- I have not fished the lake in the winter but it is on my top five lakes to hit. What was most impressive was the crappie size and numbers and I hope I can find them in a deeper holes. Concerning the eyes. We found them just pulling the old spinner crawler combo outside the weed edges

Mr. Pike, the email hasn't shown up yet, maybe the post office got ahold of it?? grin.gif Or maybe I can't type anymore. [email protected]

I've been reading the posts all summer just didn't have much to say. Took the summer off from fishing and played golf with the wife alot. It payed off nicely since she let me purchase a (slightly used) Pro-V right after Labor day. wink.gif

Mr Pike, thanks! I am planning on heading out there probably between Xmas and New Years to try and find some action. If you are heading out there, let me know and we can see if we can divide and conquer the lake and learn where the eye haunts are during the hard water season.

Best of luck!

Eye Slayer. The data would suggest there are millions in tiny body of water. If we don't find them it may have an adverse effect on the fishing ego.

What really excited me about the lake is the nice thick black slabbish crappie and few nice bull sunnies

MNFishing- Congrats on the new boat. Might see you on some of the local bodies of water the spring, summer, and fall. I will try another e-mail