Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt Johnson

Metro Get Togethers - Ice Fishing

60 posts in this topic

I suppose it's about that time again... ice is right around the corner! smile.gif

So, anyone have an ideas for Metro Get Togethers this winter?

I plan on hosting one on Rush Lake on Saturday, February 17...

Last year we had a few around the Metro throughout the winter season. Should (knock on wood) have better ice this winter, so hopefully we won't be walking all over the place like we did last winter wink.gif

I'd like to put in a vote for Linwood or the Chisago area. I am just starting to fish this area sure could use some help.

If that won't work out I can surely put us on a bunch of 6" perch on WBL. grin.gif

If you're interested in Linwood or Chisago there's a UPL event on both of those lakes... Linwood in December and Chisago in January... www.ultimatepanfish.com

In the past I've opened these up as Get Togethers as well, so you don't have to compete if you don't want to... the competition is mostly just for fun anyways, entry-fees are pretty low...

I would like to see one in the south metro, Marion, Orchard, Prior, to name a few. But also wouldn't mind places like Medicine, or even Tonka.

They can be held on any lake. Just pick a lake and date and start a new topic showcasing the Get Together... anyone can host one...

I'd be willing to hold a late ice Panfish bonanza on Medicine if there's interest..... cool.gif

Count me in MedMan! Some great action out on Medicine during the winter months, late ice especially...

I have always wanted to do Medicine. cool.gif

Some nice pike there Tommy wink.gif We'll try and put you on a 10-pounder...

Thats the real reason I would like to go fish Medicine is for the pike. cool.gif

Now remember MNfishinguy, we can only go after them 6" perch if it's finger numbing cold out. We don't want to have too much fun. smirk.gif Maybe skip White Bear this year, but breakfast at Key's should still be a priority. grin.gif

I've got a lot of grouse hunting to do yet, but I have been pulling together the hard water gear.

I'll be looking forward to attending as many of these get togthers as possible.

Hey Joe, how's it going? Are you going to get any early ice fishing in this year or just hunt till 07'? I've made a few purchases this summer to make the early ice thing a little easier.

Things are going well. Now what did you buy?(atv)smirk.gif I can't buy anything else until I buy a bigger portable. The tub on my Fish Trap is already over flowing.

So what lake you thinkn' John? I'm up for any of the Chisago area lakes.

Yea, That's the area I was thinking. There is one lake that area we didn't get to last year that I want to get on this year.

I purchased a Fish Trap Pro for the early/late ice (easier pulling than the big portable) and the wife let me get a ATV for when the ice is thick enough for that. So if we have the same ice as last year we can get to some of those good spots this year. grin.gif

Only one??? grin.gif

A bigger tub just means a guy can bring more stuff.

What did you buy? Did you get a trailer too, or were you just going to load it up in the back of the pick-up?

What lake did you have in mind for a "get together"?

Sadly only one, for now, a used Yamaha Big Bear. The wife is starting to enjoy driving it around so maybe we will have an addition to the household later on, however I am starting to run out of places to put my stuff since it seems to keep getting bigger. Haven't purchased a trailer yet but will before winter. I like the idea of keeping the pickup bed empty for the houses and stuff.

The lake(s) I'd like to get to that we didn't last year shall remain nameless to protect the innocent, at least for now. wink.gif

Are you going to be able to get out much this winter?

Well, as we have been talking in another post...Prior Lake? There's already interest there for the locals, bring on some more, eh? I fished Lower mostly, but I'm game for either.

This will only be my 2nd year getting adicted to ice fishing. I would love to come to some get togethers and meet some FM folks and maybe pick a few brains.

I have not been on the site for awile but with ice on the horizon I had to check in. Nice to see some of the familiar ice guys starting to come out of hiding.

I may look to host another event this year. Last year we did one on Phalen as it was nearby to alot of the North metro anglers.

There was a nice turnout, the weather was good, but the bite was below average.

I have discovered a few smaller lakes in the Forest Lake area that put out some nice 12" crappies and a nice walleye bite. That might be an option but a bit more North.

I also like Medicine as central location. Pretty good panfish bite, a shot at a 10lb pike, and now a walleye population to target.

Matt has some good events planned for the ice events.

I will look for to attend a few metro evetns or plan one somewhere central.

Hey Mr. Pike, if you ever head to Phalen and want a fishing pal let me know. I live about 6 blocks from there.

Sandman, I will let you know. What I find with Phalen is the early ice is best. It is a great place to go early ice to test everything out. I got into some nice pike. musky and eyes just outside the weededges on the breaks. One of the pike was pushing 10 lbs and many of the eyes were in the 20" class. However, on subsequent visits later in the year the bite was not there.

Maybe you have some hotspots from living so close. I am within 5 miles of Phalen. It is easy access and close to home so if I need a fix early morning or after work it fits the bill.

Most weekends I am in the St. Cloud area, Vermillion, of some of the west metro lakes that I like for panfish

So, what's the latest? Anyone have any dates or locations set yet?

Who's all going to the Ice Show the first weekend of December?

Count me in for Sunday. Look forward to a purchase or 2, Matt. Thanks!

Matt, I plan on doing a few of the panfish league events you host. Specifically Sara and Medicine. I also would like to organize a get together in the East or North East metro. I enjoy meeting fellow FMers with a passion for the ice. This fall I found a 234 acre lake just outside of what I would call the NE metro area. The fall bite for crappies was outstanding and the walleye bite was very good as well. The size would make for a very easy lake to meet and be able to cover. I will be hitting this early ice to see if the bite carried over and I can find a consistant bite on the ice.

I was surprised by the size and quantity of the crappies with many in the 11 and 12 inch class. The other surprise was the number of 12-16 inch walleye. I did some research on the DNR site to help me understand why. They have been doing annual stocking of 250,000 fry since the mid 90's and in 2000 they put in 1 million and in 2004 2 million eyes. Very impressive numbers for a lake under 300 acres with a max depth of 20 feet. The other impressive thing of note is that 80% of the crappie from gill or trap nets were 9-14" fish.

Bluegill also were present with 16 that were pulled in the nets coming in the 9-11 category. Again somewhat surprising

The crappie and bluegill data is all from the 2004 survery so very very recent and as I stated the fall bite was great so I am hoping this can be a go to lake on the hard water. I would imagine if I share the name of have the event there you will be familiar with the lake.

Matt, If I can not get out there early I may share the lake with you to do some searching on if your interested. All the data I shared you can confirm on the DNR site to verify what I am reporting. Anyway I think this lake may be an early or late ice diamond in the rough and 20 minutes away from me in Maplewood.

Mr. Pike, shoot me an email at tdmei@yahoo.com. I know what lake you are talking about and it's on my short list of lakes to try this winter. If it dosen't work out for that lake I have a similar lake about the same distance out that would also work.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• rundrave

Posted

I think you need to go back to basics. What you are trying to do doesn't have to be reinforced in just the boat.

You need that dog to obey and listen to each command you give. If you are trying to get her to sit/stay then that's what you need to work on.

You can practice and work on that command every time you open the door to the kennel to let the dog out. You tell her to sit/stay and you open the door. If she doesn't you know close the door and repeat.

Every time you give your dog a bowl of food don't just give it to her make her sit/stay before she get its. There are  varieties of situation that the sit command can be used for. Start with small exercises and work your way up to bigger more complicated tasks, repetition, repetition repetition. Be sure to praise and always try to end work on a positive note. 

I think the most important thing is don't give a command you cant reinforce.

• Musky hunter 82

Posted

I made it out last night, saw a small buck and a nice doe at 20 yards but to quite to hear them and since I'm in some really thick stuff I didn't see them until they were on top of me.  Also saw another deer 40 yards away but couldn't tell what it was, then spooked something behind (not the direction the deer normally head to in the evening) me as I was getting down.  Almost had a Coyote in the CRP grass when I was walking out, big sucker and the second one see in two sits now (one by my wife and now by me), the land owner said that they are coming up on to his yard now.  I've hunted this ground for 12 years and this is the first year I've seen a coyote while hunting.

Here's a couple of views from the stand, going to move it to the edge of the CRP field that is about 30 yards behind me.

20160925_164858.jpg

20160925_164902.jpg

• paceman

Posted

Made it out for a very short sit Saturday Night. Thunder storms had my son and I scrambling for the truck. Our view. Lots of good deer sign in area. Early SE Corn.JPG

• 750 this week only Im losing money on this but would rather have someone be able to use it than for it to just sit around. After this week I am going to winterize it and it will no longer be for sale.

• How is she on the sit command?  That is the basis of everything.  She needs to learn to sit still and wait until the next command.  I don't even teach my dogs "stay" because it isn't necessary if they are solid on "sit".  Every dog has the ability to be steady, it is up to you to teach them.  A lab that isn't steady in the boat is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous with loaded guns and the potential to capsize a boat in open water. 

If she knows sit but just needs some reinforcement, it may just take a couple trips where you don't even bring the gun along and let others shoot while you handle the dog. 

If she's real bad, I would recommend going back to the basics. It will be tougher with an older dog versus a puppy but is definitely worth it. Check out the retriever training DVDS by Bill Hillman. They are spendy but definitely worth it.

• easyrider25

Posted

Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?

• On 9/24/2016 at 3:30 PM, ZachD said:

she's getting big

She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 

1 person likes this
    • delcecchi

Posted

Maybe that is how they can stay in business 

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/25/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/26/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• rundrave
      I think you need to go back to basics. What you are trying to do doesn't have to be reinforced in just the boat. You need that dog to obey and listen to each command you give. If you are trying to get her to sit/stay then that's what you need to work on. You can practice and work on that command every time you open the door to the kennel to let the dog out. You tell her to sit/stay and you open the door. If she doesn't you know close the door and repeat. Every time you give your dog a bowl of food don't just give it to her make her sit/stay before she get its. There are  varieties of situation that the sit command can be used for. Start with small exercises and work your way up to bigger more complicated tasks, repetition, repetition repetition. Be sure to praise and always try to end work on a positive note.  I think the most important thing is don't give a command you cant reinforce.
    • Musky hunter 82
      I made it out last night, saw a small buck and a nice doe at 20 yards but to quite to hear them and since I'm in some really thick stuff I didn't see them until they were on top of me.  Also saw another deer 40 yards away but couldn't tell what it was, then spooked something behind (not the direction the deer normally head to in the evening) me as I was getting down.  Almost had a Coyote in the CRP grass when I was walking out, big sucker and the second one see in two sits now (one by my wife and now by me), the land owner said that they are coming up on to his yard now.  I've hunted this ground for 12 years and this is the first year I've seen a coyote while hunting. Here's a couple of views from the stand, going to move it to the edge of the CRP field that is about 30 yards behind me.
    • paceman
      Made it out for a very short sit Saturday Night. Thunder storms had my son and I scrambling for the truck. Our view. Lots of good deer sign in area.
    • ZachD
      750 this week only Im losing money on this but would rather have someone be able to use it than for it to just sit around. After this week I am going to winterize it and it will no longer be for sale.
    • MattL
      How is she on the sit command?  That is the basis of everything.  She needs to learn to sit still and wait until the next command.  I don't even teach my dogs "stay" because it isn't necessary if they are solid on "sit".  Every dog has the ability to be steady, it is up to you to teach them.  A lab that isn't steady in the boat is not only annoying, it is potentially dangerous with loaded guns and the potential to capsize a boat in open water.  If she knows sit but just needs some reinforcement, it may just take a couple trips where you don't even bring the gun along and let others shoot while you handle the dog.  If she's real bad, I would recommend going back to the basics. It will be tougher with an older dog versus a puppy but is definitely worth it. Check out the retriever training DVDS by Bill Hillman. They are spendy but definitely worth it.