Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pics of deer

6 posts in this topic

There have been lots of great pics of nice deer taken from many bowhunters lately. Congrats!!! Despite some of the really great pics, there have also been pics that are less than ideal.

DD, Harvey Lee, others-- can you paint the picture of what a good deer picture should have? Also, can you describe the features of a picture that are less than ideal? Mostly, I'm not talking about camera settings here- I'm talking about things a hunter can do to make a picture look tactful and nice and really show off the deer/hunter in the way they should be. Hopefully this thread will help guide future fortunate hunters so they have some great pics when they take their trophy.

I don't want to single anyone out here, so I'll hold off wiht my comments.

Here are some things that would help.

1-Put the tounge back in the mouth.

2-clean the blood off the deer.

3-Dont show the inards or take a pic before you gut it if possible.

4-Show complete gun or bow safety.

5-Dont have any booze or cigs in the pics.

6-Pose the deer nice and neat.

7-Try not to show the wound side or site.

8-Pose it in a natural setting.

Any other ideas are more than welcome.

I agree with it all but we have to remember this is not a photo shoot for LL Bean. We are all hunters here and I think a little blood doesnt hurt anybody, if I dont have a place to wipe off my hands oh well I dont have a place. I am not trying to upset the apple cart but when you harvest a deer sometimes it doesn't look pretty, I do agree not to show close up's of the vitals laying on the ground but I like to see the arrow or bullet placement and I feel better becasue I know it is a quick clean kill.

I am sure I will get some replys to this but I just wanted to give my .02 cents on what I think...

You can see the bullet hole and still wipe off the blood.The entrance hole will still show.

It also doesnt hurt to clean your hands and the rack.I know its a harvested animal but we as hunters can still have a classy picture.Or you can used surgical gloves or the gloves that go up to your shoulders to keep clean.It is not that hard and will save alot of work for the person that has to clean all the blood off our clothes.

Bad pictures are just another avenue for the anti's to say we are slob hunters.

Dried leaves,grass and snow all help to clean the hands.I carry a wash cloth in a zip lock bag to clean up after dressing a deer.

Great tips Harvey. Just to add a few, try to avoid the "back of the truck" pics. If this is the only place you can get to a camera, then that pic is better than no pic, but most would agree that a picture of a deer in its natural settings is better than one in the back of the truck or in the garage. Even though I have a digital camera that goes with me every time I take a hunting or fishing trip, a disposable 35mm camera is always in the glove box of the truck as well. This assures that there will always be a way to capture the animal in its natural setting.

Tips to make animal look better:

-always clean up blood, tounge, etc.

-Lay animal in a natural posture (Bedded down is my fav.)

-Try having picture taker below you (put the animal on an elevated hump or mound if possible. Also try having the photogropher lay down)

-Attempt to display your weapon. (Can be used to cover any blood which can't be cleaned. *Always remember safety!)

-I like to sit behind the animal's body (Takes attention off of me and puts it onto the animal while still including me in the pic)

-Try having the top of the animal's antlers/horns above your head (Makes them look larger)

-Try to show the animal's best features (ex. for a very wide animal, straight on is a great pic.)

-Put the sun at the back of the photogropher (Reduces glare, and illuminates the animal)

-Try to incorporate skyline or horizon in the background.

-Take multiple pictures allowing you to sort thru and find your favorite angles (Unwanted pics can always be deleted on digital cameras, and fills up 35mm cameras faster so you don't have to wait for your pics as long!!)

-Try to photograph before gutting animal if possible

I just tried these tips for the first time this year and was very happy with the results. Here is a picture of this year's antelope. I wish I would have payed more attention and closed the mouth so it doesn't look like he is showing his teeth like an angry dog!:

I know I repeated a few of Harvey's, but hope these help. Additional comments are welcomed.

Dave Frank

Thanks HL. I agree with all you posted. Also, I agree- clean up and take a decent looking picture.

I shot my biggest buck ever when I was about 20. The only pic I have of it is in the back of a truck. What an ugly pic! I didn't know better then, but man I wish I had a decent pic of me with that buck in some slough grass or in the woods. So, I can definitely relate to HL's point number 8. A definite pet peave of mine.