Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newfoldener

Lets hear about your summer

11 posts in this topic

Since it is so quiet on the DL form, how about some stories from this summer. Fishing for me around the DL area was excellent this summer. I caught walleye from opener right through August. The only two sour spots were my trip to the BWCA and LOW. The BWCA was a struggle with 7 people fishing for 4 days and just scratching by to eat fish. The trip to LOW was short with 4 hours of fishing and only 1 walleye before the tornado hit and wipped out our campers. But I cant complain about my sweet spot this summer, about 50 walleye this summer, the biggest being 6LBS. Had a blast.

Boundary waters for me was good. Newfold, when were you there? Rainy River and Lake was good also. Ottertail was hit and miss for me. Some days good, some days not so good. Thats why they call it fishing I guess. We definately had water temps peak earlier than average and the way the fall has been lately, we will have hard water earlier than average too. Gotta love Mother Nature, always throwing curve balls.

Had probably the best walleye fishing season that i have ever had. Caught lots of fish and released a lot of fish. Many lakes were hitting good early and later in the year. Crappie fishing was good. And the highlight of the year was my first ever muskie caught on Big Detroit.

Well, my summer started off pretty slow. I had an ankle injury that kept me off my feet until the start of summer. I was still able to join my wife and family on fishing opener on lake Lida. It was interesting fishing off a wet dock with one foot in a cast. Still good times.

My brother and his family moved back to MN (Lake Lida)this spring and this allowed me to spend some quality time with my nieces. My dad finally retired and treated the family to the purchase of a new pontoon. My boat spent more time on land while I gave the girls rides around the lake on "grandpa's boat". I was able to give them a good time on the 4th of July with the Lida boat parade and my home made firework show at dark.

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

My wife and I were able to enjoy our one week vacation to lake vermilion. I saw a lot of nice muskies but couldn’t get one to bite. We spent our time with good friends and were able to bring home good memories.

Vermilion0640.jpg

Lake Vermilion from our campsite area.

I am sorry to say that I only put my boat in the water one other time..and was able to catch a small muskies....good times.

CID__Picture003-1.jpg

Oh, where has summer gone...........

Cant wait for the hard water season to start.

Good luck.

Cliffy.

walleyegod

I was up in the BWCA 2 weeks after opener, we were north of Fourtown lake. We started out at the Chain Saw Sisters.

Newfold, we were up in July. Was real good then. Actually our favorite time to go is the 3rd week of June. Been up there in June, July and August over the years and that 3rd week of June really shines.

We used to go up for opener, but it seemed to always snow on us. We would always fish Gabro and the fishing was good. About 4 years ago I caught a 25 pound northern on opener. I would post a pic if I knew how.

Nice fish Newfold. I have not been up there in May. Anytime you can go is a good time to. Great experience.

WG

Better than last year but not the best I've had. Only golfed twice and that freed up a lot more time to stay with the walleyes. White Earth, Big Cormorant, Star, Tulaby, Big Sand, and Lizzie were all generous with the walleyes. Caught more five pound plus bass this summer than in all my years combined. $3.00 gas kept me a little closer to DL. Only made a few trips over to Big Sand.

Hiya -

Mine was sure different than other summers... I usually spend a lot of my summer running around chasing muskies. I spent most of this summer working on a new cabin on Crystal though, and it really cut into my fishing time. I probably fished less overall this summer than, well, ever probably. (About mid-July my wife said something like "wow - you really get crabby when you can't go fishing don't you?" No kidding... grin.gif). So on the one hand that was a major downer.

On the other hand though...the fishing that I did do was really something special. Because I only had a few hours here and there to get out morning and evening, I stayed a lot closer to home. It was really a back to the future kind of deal - I fished some lakes I hadn't been on since high school. I spent more time fishing the lake my cabin's on since I don't know when, and I did more multi-species fishing than I have in years. I really went on a bass kick for a while, and I'd almost forgotten how much fun largemouth can be. I started to figure out Lida for smallies (something that's definitely high on my list for next summer) and had a blast fishing crappies and gills with my girls. Caught a 20 1/2" largemouth on Crystal so I kept my streak alive - at least one bass over 20" out of there for 16 years straight... Between the cabin and a few weeks where the water got too hot to fish for them my muskie numbers are down a little, but 6 30 pounders in the boat (a couple of them from Canada) with a couple weeks yet to go, so I can't complain too much.

All in all this summer really made me appreciate the place I grew up all over again. Also reminded me that if all I do is fish muskies, I'm missing out on some awesome fishing for everything else. I fished muskies less than I have in 15 years, and I didn't miss it all that much. Already can't wait for next summer. First nice weekend after ice out I'll be over on Lida with a GPS and an underwater camera looking for new rock piles smile.gif

Cicada - funny stuff about the tree. I shattered a rod there setting the hook into a log a few years ago. Sure feels good for a second...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

You never did take me out to your sweet spot this summer. Maybe this winter?

Bret