• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Motor problem

jbb

Question

I had a new water pump installed in my 40Hp merc 2 stroke tiller. The first time I launched my motor started fine but when I shifted into gear "nothing". I took it back as I figured the linkage had not been hooked up to the gear case. Got it back & upon launching today the motor labored & barely moved the boat. Could get high rpms in neutral but not in gear. Anyone know whats wrong?

2 answers to this question

If you had a shop do the work, bring it back and have them fix it right this time. You shouldn't have to fix their work. Most places should have a tank or something where they can test the motor before they give it back to you.

I believe mercs have to be either in forward or reverse gear when you reassemble the lower unit to the motor. If it is in the wrong gear when the shift shaft is reconnected it will not shift.