• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hornady SST Shotgun Slug

Ok, so I picked p the SBE II and the Bushnel Holo sight today. They recommended the Hornady SST Shotgun slug. Have any of you have experience with this slug?

Its a 2.75" shell with 300grain and supposed shoots at 2000fps. Any feedbacks on this?

I have heard nothing but good things about this slug. Did you get a special rifled barrel with your SBEII. I have a SBE and am curious? I will definitly try try the Hornadys.

I switched the the SST last year. I had used the Winchester Partition Gold before that. In my gun at 100 yards, the SST's grouped a good 10" higher than the Partition Gold's. I shot three deer with them. Two at 125 yards and one at 30 yards. None of them went more than 50 yards before they expired. Sight 3 inches high at 100 yards for a dead on aim at 200 yards.

I had hoped for better bench groups than the Partition Gold's, but that did not happen. I am beginning to think it is my gun (or maybe me!).

They have a good amount of recoil, so be ready. Also - I went to a high quality Leopold scope two years ago after knocking the insides of a Bushnell and a Cabela's brand loose through recoil. I think my gun is equivalant to a .338 Win Mag or more. My 30-06 feels like a .22 when I shoot it after firing my slug gun.

yeah, I have the slug version of the SBE II so the barrel is rifled. I bought 6 boxes of them so I'm a little anxious to try them out laugh.gif

Quote:

I have heard nothing but good things about this slug. Did you get a special rifled barrel with your SBEII. I have a SBE and am curious? I will definitly try try the Hornadys.

Well, I hope the SBE II's comfortech system works! haha

Quote:

They have a good amount of recoil, so be ready. Also - I went to a high quality Leopold scope two years ago after knocking the insides of a Bushnell and a Cabela's brand loose through recoil. I think my gun is equivalant to a .338 Win Mag or more. My 30-06 feels like a .22 when I shoot it after firing my slug gun.

I have no experience with the SST Slugs but I really like the SST in the 30 cal with my 30-06. I get tons of velocity, super knock down and the deer hardly ever run.

If the slug performs half as well as the 30 cal you will not be dissapointed.

I shot 2 boxes of these on Saturday. At 50 yds they were 2-3 inches high. At 100 yds, 8 inches high at least. Too much arc for me. The Remington Premier Core Lokt Ultras I shot were much flatter. Two inches high at 50 and 100. This was with and 870 with a Mossberg barrel.

My Experience with the sst's was similar to jdm's

They shot high, Too much arc, and not as tight of a group from the bench as the partition golds. But that is my gun. Yours may be different!

I would rather have a slug that shoots as flat as possible through the range!

I don't know that I would say it had to much arc when compared to the Partition Gold because it is a smaller grained bullet and is lighter. In theory, shouldn't the lighter bullet shoot flatter? I shoot with a scope, so I am fine with making the adjustment, but if your open sights adjust, it shouldn't be a problem. The range I shoot at has a 200 yard target and the SST is much more accurate than the PG at that range (considerably less drop) I haven't tried the Remington slug. I am staying with the SST's because I feel it extends my lethal killing range.

So, from what the guy told me at Joes. With my Slug SBE II and the SST's I should be able to shoot 200 yards no problem.. Is that accurate? Alot of my shooting consists of only 50 yards or less.

i had a hard time finding the sst slugs last year but i found a bunch down in sioux city, iowa at the scheels and bought a bunch of them...they are GREAT,,,i am one for one with them they are accurate, fly fast and straight and pack a punch...highy recommend them!! good buy on the benelli, sounds like you got your head on straight!!

Has anyone shot both the Remington Core Lokts and the Hornady's? I shoot the Remington's and they shoot really well for me, I can barely believe I'm shooting a shotgun, except for the sore shoulder!! mad.gif But if the Hornadys shoot better I'd be willing to at least try em at the range. Though it seems they sacrifice quite a bit of weight just to get 100 fps, is the trade off worth it? I'd like to still have some punch since it really helps when you have a low velocity projectile. I also noticed they weren't hollow points, does anyone know how the expansion is for them?

Thanks.. I've been wanting a SBE for a couple years now. Finally saved up enough money for one. Hopefully I won't be disappointed! I have yet to shoot it grin.gif

Quote:

good buy on the benelli, sounds like you got your head on straight!!

Yes. Saturday I shot both. The SSTs had too much arc out of my 870-Mossberg barrel. 8 inches or higher at 100yds, but only 2 inches at 50. The Core Lokts were 2 or 3 inches high at 50 and 100.

Is it a rifled barrel?

Quote:

Yes. Saturday I shot both. The SSTs had too much arc out of my 870-Mossberg barrel. 8 inches or higher at 100yds, but only 2 inches at 50. The Core Lokts were 2 or 3 inches high at 50 and 100.

You'll be VERY happy with the SBE. I owned mind for 4 hunting seasons and never cleaned it... never had it jam or misload a shell. I'm not cleaning until I get a jam or misload to prove to my buddy's that there guns bite. I shoot trap, duck, pheasant and deer hunt with it in all types of weather. I shoot it at least 1000 rounds a year. Wish I had the deer barrel for it... sounds deadly.