Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldguide

Pokie Water Temp as of 10-22!-06

8 posts in this topic

Anyone got the temp ?

43 deg. on Saturday, 10/21

Thanks!!!!!

That's pretty cool but still going to come up for three days and give it a go. Caught them before when I lived up there even when the water temps dipped below forty. Hope the weatherman is right about the temps through Friday.

Dan,

Thanks again for the feedback on water temps. Ya could've helped out with the air temps! Just kidding! It was a bit chilly under the knickers when I hit the water Tues, Weds and Thursday early A.M. The boys working on 169 couldn't believe someone was out fishing. When I showed them the 8# walleye they really got excited. Sorry but I just had to clean one for the table. All the smallmoth and largemouth went right back in the lake. Another good fall trip on the Pokie. Now if I could just convince the wife to let me go one more time.

Oh, I think those fish will bite right up until freeze over. You got to look for them but when you find them boy do they bite. The big northerns were prowling the sand drops and really smacking jerkbaits. The smallmouth, due to the lack of wind, were pushing bait up in thirty to forty feet of water. Don't fish live bait so let those fish alone. Did find enough to catch around some of the food shelves next to deep water. Lots of fun catching them on jerkbaits. The largemouth were in big groups in ten feet of water around any weeds you could find. Tight small areas though. If you were off as little as ten yards you couldn't get bit.

Have a great winter sir and take care.

The Old Guide!

what depth were you fishing the eye's at and how? I live on sherry's arm and caught a few on the river today but would like to try the lake.

thanks

Norball,

Fish the edges of the humps, points and flats that have some weeds left. Troll with cranks or jerkbaits. I was using my electric motor and zig zaging from six feet to fifteen feet of water. The flat just west of Kings Bay was good. Work it all the way to where it turns and heads towards Nesbitt Island. Another spot is to start on the edge south of Stoney Point and work west towards the little island south of Nesbitt. Go all the way out on the underwater point south of the little island. If they're not working around the 169 crossing and the water is cleared up a bit troll back and forth under the bridge, best late or early in the day. Hold on to your rod though because the big ones really hit the bait hard. Colors to try are browns with some orange, red/silver was real good and perch colors. Sunday looks to be a good day wish I could be back up there. Good Luck. Oh, be sure to give the bait a jerk pretty regular. Thats seems to be when they hit.

oldguide, sounds like you had a good trip, an eight pound fish is a dandy. I usually troll under the bridge on my way to other areas but the water was, like you said, kind of murky, and haven't had much luck there yet. I haven't been out for a week or so, but at that time it was good. I think you are right about the bite staying strong for awhile yet, probably into Jan.. The duck hunting has been really good this year, so I have been torn between fishing and hunting. I'm curious, did you see any tulibee/whitefish nets out?

Dan,

Nope didn't see any nets or markers for them! Know of one guy that does a little of that but mostly on Sugar. Sucker takes a few walleyes to. Hope he gets caught.

Old Guide