Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slayer

Alma Dam Fishing Report Update

7 posts in this topic

I decided to check on the bite at the Alma dam. It was very slow today to say the least frown.gif. The only thing that bit today was perch, perch, and more perch. Perch everywhere, but at least they were decent size. The average sized perch was about 10”. I saw only two boats other than myself catch fish today. They landed two nice sized walleyes.

I tried jigging plastics, bucktail jigs, and just dragging a minnow. The two other boats caught their walleyes jigging tipped with minnows. I knew I should have went to Red Wing today insteadmad.gif!

Hey slayer,

was down at the Alma dam last weekend & got SKUNKED...Not a fish in the boat. Just checked the alma dam water temp report (http://www.mvp-wc.usace.army.mil/cgi-bin/aragorn?site=AMAW3&qth=Mississippi+River+near+Alma%2C+WI+%28CP5%29&sku1=2&days=10&prod=curr&fmon=JAN&fday=1&fyr=2006&lmon=DEC&lday=31&lyr=2006&usot=1&x=11&y=12)

And found that you had similar water temp pattern that I had when I went down there. It is on the fall (big time), losing almost 1' / day..I am thinking that the bite goes SLOW as the water temp is on the fall. I am going to head down there in the morning and test my theory. Looks like it should bottom out today so we'll see what happens. Will give you a report when I get back....Think I am crazy or what??.....Jim

I'm not sure why they aren't biting better at Alma. I heard that Red Wing is Really Hot right now. That will be my next destination! Please let me know how you do, what you used, location and any info. It was a hard bite for me. I have limited out before at this location, but just not this time.

Slayer,

put in this am at the new landing down by West Newton. You know that one???

Anyway, fished a couple wing dams then headed up to the Alma Dam. Was alone so I didn't venture to close to the rollers but......DId have some luck @ the 1st green/black buoy down from the dam. It is a couple hundred yards down from the point of that island.

Run your boat right up to the bouy then lean towards the channel & drift down stream. There is a 40'+ trench that runs straight south of that buoy. On the channel side of that trench it comes up to about 32'...That is where they are hiding...Take atleast 1/2 oz green jig heads with Berkeley Gulp twister tails (fat & BRIGHT green)..You gotta work to get it to the bottom but it is worth it...Caught a few keepers & lost a couple NICE fish up towards the boat..Long way to bring them up from almost 40'...

Another tip for anyone else that is reading (this far down). If you know where the new landing is that I mentioned before then got straight out from that landing (towards the channel) and you will see some riprap on your RH side..Take the same jig combo and start your drift by the log that is stuck right on the point & work your way back towards the landing along the riprap...About 15' from the rocks...Give her a couple good rips & then just hold it about 6"-1' off the bottom & the HUGE smallies will just hammer it..Take a few jig heads with you as you WILL lost a few....Donated a couple today.....

Got smallies anywhere from 1.5 - 4 lbs today...7 in 30 mins....

Gotta run & feed the chillens .....Keep in touch or pm me....Later & Out.......Jim

Well, you did a lot better than I did. I mainly fished near the dam area, and not down stream. Yes, I know about that landing. It saves a lot of miles going to this landing versus the one in Alma, WI.

Are you talking about that really deep hole a little north of the landing on the way up stream? I know that there is a deep hole there, but I never thought it would be worth it to fish that deep. Were they lying on the bottom of that deep hole or were they suspended off the bottom? Were you tipping the jigs with minnows? Thanks for the report. Have you been up to Red Wing lately?

Done.