• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LQP

First time around LQP.

The hunter density on adjacent private land was amazing. I can not believe how these landowners stack groups on top of each other. frown.gif

The skyblasting was unreal. mad.gif

Do these guys really think they are going to kill geese at 75 - 125 yards?? Saw two birds wounded and glide ... pathetic.

Still, the number of birds was good ... and if patient a few flocks provided close shooting. Too bad the majority of the people around the refuge are just shooters.

Yep that is why I don't hunt there. I went there one time in school and we didn't get anything. If any birds came close to the blind a little ways in front of us they were sky blasting away. Late in the season it is kinda fun to go and watch the birds fly though. They will just zig zag through the sky because they know where all the blinds are and know where they are safe to fly.

Way before I was old enough to go hunting my dad had been over there hunting and seen someone just about get shot over a stupid bird. After that, that was enough for him and he never went back there.

Opening weekend and MEA to boot is a bad combo for good shooting. I'd give it a try during the week if you can. Later on when all the fair weather hunters are gone the shooting can be really good.

I work at DJs in Montevideo and all day long I heard people say they could hear the pellets hitting the birds but they just wouldn't come down. Heres your sign comes to mind.

The coyotes have it good with all the cripples from the skybusters.

Some people just don't have a clue.

We have a group of six heading out there tomorrow for three days of hunting. We combine geese, pheasants, and river fishing into one trip. The geese get very wise to decoys, blinds, and calls very soon, but its still a fun trip. The DNR migration report is the best its been for years, and even if we don't limit, we are going to have a good time. I'll report our results when we get back.

Pheasant hunting was great.

Issue I have (not relavent to MEA, opener, etc..) is the stacking of hunting groups so close to each other.

Sure people shoot geese, but the quality of the hunt suffers and skyblasting becomes the norm.

How can you work a single or small flock, when you have a group within 100 yards on 3 sides of you??

Landowner greed resulting in too many cripples, poor sportsmanship, and lack of a true goose hunting experience? frown.gif

Yes sky blasting is a real big problem, especially on the weekends when it's mostly just shooters down there. Try making it out during the week and later in the season when the shooters are at home and the hunters are out there. The goose counts should be up too. I believe there are already 83k down there as of Saturday.

I was There on Mea We Got 10 geese in our group over 2 days of hunting shot 6 day 1 and 4 day 2. Speaking of skyblasters We were in the state blinds and the guys in private blinds behind us shot at about every thing that flew no matter how high. We took advantage of that once they wounded one it came 10yrds away and with two 10 gauges that goose didnt have a chance.

I am heading there this weekend. More for the pheasant hunting than the goose hunting. Either way it is going to be a fun weekend.