Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Franchiz

Handheld GPS on 12 Volt Battery

12 posts in this topic

This might be a simple question, but should I have any concerns connecting my handheld GPS to my fish finder battery? Just want to avoid using AA batteries; it seams each time I want to use the GPS, the batteries are dead.

AA batteries are only 1.5V each. Even in series they will output only the total of the number of batteries. Unless you are using 8 AA batteries in series for your GPS, you might want to reconsider or design a voltage-divider circuit to drop the voltage to a safe level.

Bob

What type of GPS? I'm thinking of getting an H2O, which comes with the 12v car adapter. If/when I do get this, I was thinking about buying a receptable and attaching leads to this so I could hook the receptacle to the battery and plug the GPS unit into it.

I guess I found the answer in the manual:

Your GPS unit operates from four AA batteries, or one DURACELL® NiMH rechargeable battery, or from 5 to 16 volts DC using the external power cable. If the power cable is used, the Expedition automatically switches to it if the external power is greater than the battery voltage. If for any reason the external power fails, the unit automatically switches to the batteries.

Thanks!

SturgeonFall2006055.jpg

SturgeonFall2006061.jpg

Gary, is that something you rigged up or bought? Looks like what I was planning on.

Just one of the many Vexilar batterys I have laying around and a $5 Cigarette lighter adapter with alligator clip on's...... cool.gif

Quote:

Just one of the many Vexilar batterys I have laying around and a $5 Cigarette lighter clip on......
cool.gif

Yeah, I figured that you didn't make the battery tongue.gif I haven't seen the cig lighter clip. Cool.

Yep.

Thats how I run my H20C.

Cigarette lighter adapter w/ alligator clips is about $5 at Fleet Farm in the automotive section.

Quote:

Cigarette lighter adapter w/ alligator clips is about $5 at Fleet Farm in the automotive section.

Or, come with the Rapala electric filet knife. laugh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Or, come with the Rapala electric filet knife.
laugh.gif

That's my back up..... grin.gif...great knife also.

IMO, I'd kinda sorta go that way, but personally, I'd cut off those battery clips (or get a lighter adapter without) and crimp on some insulated female spade connectors.