Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kpp

pre-rut

15 posts in this topic

Anyone seen any rubs or scrapes yet in the area?

In the Palisdae area, I've seen plenty of deer but no rubs or scrapes in the area where we hunt.

Anyone hunt near Portage LAke? Last chance we got up there to do some fishing, we had an 8 point buck come down and take a drink on the shore of Portage... Beautiful animal

Going up to Portage this weekend to check out the stands and put up a "hut". Have 30+ acres just south of the railroad tracks. Will do some scouting and hopefully get in some grouse hunting.

I was out today and finally found some scrapes. Seems like they are starting a little later this year. It might be the area i'm in might not have alot of bucks this year. Last year i found some in the beginning of Oct.

Ude Lake Tom... I couldn't help but notice your name, is Ude Lake on your property? We've had a cabin on Portage Lake for many years and each time we drive up we pass Ude... I'd be very interested in talking to you about the lake, I'm so curious about what's in it and how deep it gets because I've heard so many different rumors about it.. How's the grouse hunting up there in a typical year? We've never hunted grouse up there but seen a few of them from time to time... Good luck to you and I hope you get a chance at that big buck!

My parents used to own the 1st house on Portage Lake Road..right on Ude Lake. The garage is right next to the road. There used to be lots of big crappies, snakes and bass. Since we moved I haven't been able to fish the lake except in the winter. The crappies were almost wiped out. We talked to the owner last deer season and he said the crappies are starting to come back. With a lake that small, a large group can wipe out the crappies in one winter. We own the old Zak property now. The grouse hunting is ok...but I wish I saw as many grouse hunting as I do sitting in my stand during deer season.

That is so awesome! Wow, thank you so much, you just answered questions that we've been pondering over for years! I totally understand with a small body of water how quickly a good population can be ruined... Are the Crappies pretty nice size wise or has that also sort of gone down hill, because we fish Portage all the time for Crappies and we always pull a couple pigs each year but it seems like the average fish is declining and the good eaters are harder and harder to find. Our family owns one of the farther cabins down Portage Lk Rd... Thanks again!

He said they are starting to come back....I noticed the crappies are getting smaller on Portage too. Didn't do much scouting because of problems getting up there, but we did see some signs. Was that 8 pointer down by the access or on the other side on the lake? Really, with the big bucks, I would rather just see them, kinda like the smaller ones for taste.

It came down to us while we were tossing jigs on the far shore from the road, almost where you first see the lake as you drive up the road and turn left as the road turns... not at all near the access... Yeah, the younger meat is much more delicous! Its good to hear the crappies are making a comeback in Ude because I dont see a comeback anytime soon in Portage, seems like every winter more and more snakes leave the lake and the crappies get a better chance to stunt themselves with less northerns around.. Speaking of northerns, we pulled a 13 pounder out of the big bay across the lake 7 summers ago now and since we havent came close to pulling in anything northern even close to that size... I'd say a 5 pounder tops! I hate to see the lake we grew up on produce smaller and less northerns and crappies and on top of it, it seems to be getting more and more weed choked every year.. I'm sorry, I dont mean to sound negative about Portage, I love it and have many great memories, I just am hoping for a turnaround for the fishery there really soon..

I headed up to the deer shack yesterday to hang a few stands. Nothing for doing for rutting activity on my property yet. I made a few mock scrapes and hung the drippers out. I'm hoping for some action by this weekend. Grouse numbers seem ok. I've got three living around the shack.

was grouse hunting north of mcgregor this weekend, and a buck had some nice scrape lines on the trails and thats it.

we fished portage a few times this fall, caught and released many northerns up to 5 pounds and some dandy bass.

have not tryed portage for crappies yet, maybe this winter I will make it over there. I am on fleming lake, and we have plenty of crappies with no size also.

Its good to see you got some Pike in the 5 lb range at least... Them along with the crappies have gotten consistently smaller each year... Same deal on Flemming with the Crappies huh? Its frustrating because every year we get one or 2 dandy slabs that make you think that there is still something down there.. Too many little potatoe chips coming outta the whole the past couple winters on Portage

The one thing I noticed that last couple of winters when I go up during the week, even the locals aren't out on Portage. This kinda tells me either the fish aren't biting or that there aren't too many nice ones to be had. I used to be able to catch a couple of eater sunnies on they bay we are on, now the last couple of springs, no bites or potato chip size only.

Saw lots of grouse while we were out chasing bambi....

If you drive down the road and see a rabbit hanging by a driveway, that is our driveway.