• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Guys, I am thinking about hunting behind my cabin on Ely Island this year for the deer opener. What are my chances of getting there & back without having to bust ice?

It's been a few years since we had to worry about that... back in high school I remember a few trips where we were whacking the ice with a paddle and anchor for 200 yds to make it back to Stuntz bay landing!

The water temp. in the Stuntz Bay area was 37.4 degrees today! There is a good chance that at least Stuntz Bay will be frozen over by the Deer opener. But then again, if it warms up again you may not have any problems.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, I thought it might be iffy.

Someday I'll go out to the cabin by boat in the fall and then walk back over the ice. Just to say I did... wink.gif

"Someday I'll go out to the cabin by boat in the fall and then walk back over the ice. Just to say I did.."

Done this before several times hunting in black bay, out of neccessity. Be sure to have a canoe with you for security and to haul your stuff. In these shallow areas, it can go from ice free to walkable in 1 or 2 nights. Beyond 2" it is difficult to crack through with the boat.

The rod eyes were freezing up out there today. Won't be too long. Unless it warms up we won't have water for deer opener.

Fun busting ice to get to my truck up east two river.

Wind has a way of cooling things off FAST.

Burrrrrrrrrr.

If your out on the lake PLEASE be careful and wear your life vest at all times.

grin.gif

T.

Quote:

If your out on the lake PLEASE be careful and wear your life vest at all times.

The extra warmth of the life vest would be a good thing too. grin.gif

Lots of skim ice on Pike Bay today. It was still there this evening! shocked.gif

Cliff

Bummer, I was at the cabin this weekend, lots of sign back in the woods, from the looks of the rubs there is a big buck back there too. Looking at the forecast maybe the ice will hold off?????? Maaybe?

About 1/2 of Pike Bay was frozen over this morning when I went out

There was around 1/2 inch of ice in most areas and I hit a 1/8 mile stretch around Duffy Island that had at least 3/4 inch of ice on it! frown.gif

Cliff

Oh well...

That big boy out on the island will live to see another year...

A lot of ice melted today and a wind may break up what is left. You can never tell what will happen this time of the year! confused.gif

Cliff

was on the west end today...and saw very little if any ice...probably on the smaller bays....drove past pike bay and saw some skim....the smaller lakes are icing....weather outlook looks cold....so we could get some real nice first ice....one may get to deer shack or maybe not...like cliff said...one never knows

Just got back from the lake. We had ice around the boat each morning and also to bust some ice to get out of Black Bay this morning. Judging by the forecast for this week, I believe that a lot of the smaller bays will be iced over this week.

Any updates on the ice situation after a couple of cold days and nights? I have been trying to call my contact up there but haven't been successful.

wh1stler

Still got ice in the back bays. Only thing keeping ice off the main lake is the wind we've been experiencing. Couple calm nights with temps that we've been having and we'll be froze up. Forcast is changing constantly so who knows what to expect. Cold and windy today that's about all we can say for sure. If your accessing shallow/protected bays expect to break ice. If your staying the week/expect to break ice regardless of location.

I'm actually on Elbow Lake, but am back in a sheltered bay. Any idea how thick the ice is on some of those bays?

I figured there would be ice but just wanted confimation. The amount of ice makes the difference between taking the boat across or coming in the back with 4-wheelers.

Thanks.

wh1stler

I'm sure there is some ice on your bay on Elbow, nothing you can't break through. Looking at the forcast I would bet your fine in a boat. However I think we've all seen forcasts be wrong by a long shot so you never know. If day time temps truely hit the 40's you'll be good to go. Good luck.

I got a report today that Stuntz bay and most other shallow bays are frozen over. Big Bay was skimmed over also except for a section in front of McKinley Park!

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...

Lund explorer,

I hope that it was not your group that capsized getting to their hunting area last week! shocked.gif

The group was way overloaded and capsized their boat. At least they were smart enough to be wearing their life vests and were able to get to shore.

They were cited by the local warden for unsafe boat operation! crazy.gif

Cliff

Cliff, no that wasn't us. I heard there was ice on Stuntz bay on the opener that would have been a chore to get thru, so I hunted up by Orr. Maybe next year out on the island....