• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

wolves

verg

I think i read some stories in the past on here but..just wondering if any of you minn, wisc, mich boys have had any new experiences with wolves recently. My cousin lives on rainy and (i think it was he) who told me a couple wolves attacked a hunters dog? Anyway, i've always liked hearing/reading these encounters.

Every year a number(usally a dozen or so) of hounds are killed by wolves in WI, typically during bear season. Also, I see a bunch of our reintroduced elk have been killed by wolves this year again. Thats our wonderful DNR, lets bring both elk and wolves back to the same area crazy.gif

A guy I hunt with had 5 calves killed last spring DNR told him pups were being trained to KILL. We had a den with 6 pups on our land 2 years ago and a bear dog was killed this fall a few miles away. I keep a close watch on my lab when out bird hunting. A friend of mine went to track a bear he shot, the next morning found blood where it treed and fell down and was nothing left but the carcess. Verg I' be heading out to your great state on Tuesday to Pheasant hunt.Always a great time Newoodhntr

Yep I believe it was Brittney snagged right in front of him and he was afriad to shoot for Federal Repercusions. But that is just the word from the Jack Pine Pipeline and Telegraph.

big drift

One thing is for sure is that the wolves are getting worse every year. This last muzzle loader season I personally saw 5 wolves and actually called one in with a deer grunt call. One thing to remember is that if a wolf starts to approach you or your dog you do have the right to shoot them and it states this in the regulations. We also have a family friend that is in the DNR and he confirmed the fact that if you feel threatened you are able to defend yourself or your pet with no ramifications from the DNR. Good luck to all hunting this year and hopefully we will see some sort of season on wolves in the near future.

I was curious about how to deal with a wolf encounter so I asked the DNR.

Here is what I asked:

I was reading a Star Tribune article about a Grouse hunter that defended himself and his Brittany Spaniel from a pack of wolves. I am under the impression that you can only defend yourself or another person since wolves are protected. Am I mistaken?

There has been a lot of discussion between the guys I hunt with about what effect the wolf has on wildlife populations. I personally think the wolf should be in Minnesota. I am just curious how one can and should deal with an encounter with one.

DNR's Response:

You are technically correct; current Federal law allows a person to take a gray wolf only in defense of a person's life; it does not authorize taking to protect domestic animals. However, when a person is accompanied by a dog, and wolves attack the dog, determination of any concurrent threat to the person is subject to interpretation on a case by case basis.

Minnesota laws are more permissive; they allow a person to take a wolf that poses an immediate threat to a domestic animal. However, state laws are currently superseded by Federal regulations, and will not be in effect until the gray wolf is removed from the protection of the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973.

This is the information I will be using if I ever have an encounter with a wolf. I do also know that if Maggie (black lab) is with me and she was attacked, the wolf's only chance is if I miss.

I got this answer from the DNR last year. I am not sure if the wolve has been delisted or not but this is the answer that I am going with.

Very interesting!!

I posted this story on another forum, granted I put myself in harms way by hunting at night.

It simply shows that wolves are about and not all are afraid of humans.

Some years ago I was hunting predators in the big coutry of Northern Minnesota by light of a full moon. It was a beautiful night, with no wind and an almost ere calm.

On my fourth set up I was calling, with my back to a stand of large pine, when I saw movement in the field. I immediately realized that the animal was far too large to be a coyote.

Realizing the animal was a timber wolf I stopped calling. Confused and unable to pinpoint me the wolf zigzagged back and forth trying to pick up a scent trail. Then he stopped and let out a long sorrowful howl. The hair on my neck stood straight up on end and a shiver went through entire body, when it hit me. He was calling in the boys!!

Not long after, another wolf appeared followed by another. I now have three animals in front of looking for a meal, and I am on their ground. Frankly I was not comfortable, and knowing it is not legal to shoot a timber wolf, I sincerely hoped it would not come to that end.

With that a small gust of wind and they winded me and 2 of the 3 bolted. The largest one stuck around and just looked at me, growled and walked off defiantly, truly unafraid.

I stood up and went back to the truck, had some coffee and tried to calm down. When the sun came up I walked out to the spot where I was sitting only to cross a set of fresh tracks not 20 yards directly behind my hunting position. There was a 4th animal that I did not know was there. I was so fixated on the 3 in front of me that I neglected to watch my 6 o-clock.

I have not hunted predators at night ever since...

There was a rumor awhile back about opening the hunting season (lottery) on wolves after declassifacation. I belive in 2008??? Anyone else hear this?

love to hunt..your story raises the hair on MY neck.

I wouldn't think there would be a lot of yotes around with the wolf population??? Just mean that here in SD the yotes kind of ran off/killed or knocked the fox pop. down.

good stories--any more??

verg,

I still wake up with that scene burned in my head sometimes.

For the most part I would agree with you about the wolf running off the coyote. I know that fox will totally vacate when a larger predator is about but I have heard the coyote and wolves are more tollerant neaghbors. Fact or fiction I don't know.

I do know that wolves move around alot and perhaps that would explain why I see coyote in that area. Perhaps when the wolves are not around the yotes are more likly to show themselves.

I did score a fox and a coyote that night, makes a guy wonder.

Most areas in WI with wolves have seen a decrease in yote numbers and an increase in fox. Certainly fewer fox in areas with just coyotes. Don't know if wolves are more tolerant of foxes vs coyotes, would assume. Seeing more grey fox also, possibly the tree climbing helps them avoid yotes? And an update, 13 hounds killed this year by wolves so far.

when you say hounds..what do you mean? Like coon hounds or guys using certain breeds for bear? How are they getting killed? Tracking something and get to far ahead? Just curious.