Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walli1

Techniques

7 posts in this topic

I was thinking about the lethargic fish and how to got them to bite this past weekend, I needed to stay vertical and a slow presentation lifting and lower while riggen, triggered the fish. Now after some thought, I wish I would of went to a technique that paid off for me back in august when the fish weren't active, I broke out the bobber rods and it payed off. I'm willing to bet if you get on the fish that aren't active and dropped down a redtail on a slip bobber it would be on! If the weather doesn't stabilize by this weekend and the fish don't quite have there feed bag on, you will see at least one red lund with the bobbers out! wink.gif

Hey Walli, I forgot where you told me the redtails were. Can you give me the baitshop and location again? Looks like insurance is totalling my boat so in the market for a new one. Maybe I can get on before ice and have some fun on the Croix.

Redtails are at Vados bait in spring lake park 3 miles north of 694 on 65. I'm heading that way to stock up for this weekend looks like another 50 spot weekend, 80 cents a bite for the big ones adds up! But its worth it!

I was thinking the same thing last weekend - that breaking out the slip-bobber rigs would have been a good idea... If I get out this weekend, I'll probably throw out a slip-bobber per person and jig another line. We did pretty well jigging fatheads - the technique that seemed to work best was doing 6 moderately slow lift-n-drops (maybe 6-12 inches total range) and pause just above bottom. Wait a second or two and try lifting again - if the line felt heavy, FISH ON, set the hook and bring 'em up. We managed a 3-person limit of nice sized saugers that way...

Walli,

Do you use or is there a special rod that is desinged more for bobber fishing? I am just wondering if a guy should have a shorter or longer rod for that?

My two favorite bobber rods are a 7 foot St Croix med action and my other one in a med heavy 8'9 fenwick planner board rod its quite flexable and looks cool when its keeled over, I like a longer rods, helps take up the slack in the line easier and helps with the hook set grin.gif

Thanks for the info Walli, I will have to check those out before next spring