• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who is going to South Dakota this weekend?

2thepointsetters

I will be out in Eureka from this friday until the following Thursday. If anyone will be hunting that area let me know because my hunting partners are going home Tuesday morning. We all paid to rent the house until Thursday but they dont want to stay that long so I will be hunting alone.

which house are you renting? I know several of the people in Eureka... we usually don't go till late season when the crowds subside. My buddy is a voulunteer fireman and says we miss the best party of the year at the firehall on the opener... all the steak and beer you can get in you for like 8 bucks!

Good Luck out there and let me know how you do. We generally have incredible luck but like I said it's late season on private land...

Ken

Labs4me, I would agree that you miss 1 heck of a party. Who is it you know. We have family from out there and my dad being a retired fireman from this part of the world,we have gotten to know quite a few of the firemen. The Smoker that they put on is GREAt. I even won a gun there last year.

I have been looking forward to the SD opener for just under a year when our season closed. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Dave Frank

ill be there....haha sorry couldnt resist

first year ever I will be able to say I am hunting with MY dog. He just turned 1yr old and I cannot wait.

Ive shot many birds out of bird traps etc when training this summer, but that first wild rooster is going on the wall for us.

just as excited as you non-res hunters, its gonna be a good year again guys. Good luck! noon on saturday cannot get here soon enough!

I was in Eureka over the opener last year, too, and hit the fireman's shin-dig. What a crew of people! I wasn't lucky enough to bring home any guns or anything, but I ate til I was ready to explode! Great way to end a day of hunting.

I know Eric Odenbach (fireman) and hunt with him, and Dennis Jahrus (sp), I stop and chat and drop off gifts with several other of the farmers up around Greenway each year. I know Janice from 'just like Grandmas' bed and breakfast (we've been regualrs). I know all the gals at AL's (there our pals grin.gif)(old joke) and look forward to our $8.00 steak and junk box every year... and a couple of farmers from the Hosmer area.

We usually don't get out till December though. I've only been there once for the opener and boy I couldn't believe the crowds... that was before a lot of the walk-in areas went bye-bye.

Good Luck!

Ken

I am planning my first trip to SD Oct. 27-30! I can't wait, if it is anything like I hear we will have a blast! We had a good opener here, but it can only get better out west!

Quote:

which house are you renting? I know several of the people in Eureka...

I am renting the house from Dick Stille (not sure if I spelled the last name right) He has the houses in town with the big pheasants on them.

What is the firehall thing you guys are talking about?

Man I thought Eureka was an unknown place? But I guess we see a few hunters out there. I'm going the Nov. 8-12. Labs 4 me you wouln't happen to know any Mergens from IGH would you?

Nope... sorry. IGH is the home where I spend most of my time... WORK!!! frown.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

Heading out early Sat morning, at sunrise we'll be scoping out the ducks and geese as we go over the causeway by Waubay, we'll be having breakfast in Aberdeen by 8:30, then onto Ipswitch and beyond. By the time we get to our spot, out partners that took the southern route will be there, pacing the floor. As my brother and I slowly unpack and gear up, getting the shells and guns out, the dogs will be getting wound up, the spincter muscles start to get excited, a quick lunch is made, and down the road we go to renew aquantances with our farmer friend and stand around until noon, then into the first field!!! Can't wait to see that first South Dakota rooster in the air!!!!

Can you tell I've been thinking about SoDak?!!!!

Looks like temps will be perfect too, 30's and 40's and low 50's. Work is really going to drag the next day and half!!

I agree that work is a drag. It is even worse that I can only hunt thru Monday. Then get dropped off in Fargo to catch a 5am flight to Memphis. I CAN NOT WAIT til noon Sat. to see those roosters it the AIR!!!!!!! and then off to the firemans smoker to get a full gut of steak and adult beverage!! Good luck to all and hunt SAFELY!

Good luck everyone. This is my last post before I leave. If you see a black 2004 Chevy Z71 with MN plates and a pheasant sticker on the back window stop by and say hi.

I'm already here...you guys need to be quiet, because most people think there aren't any birds north of about Huron or Redfield. I've got my spots picked out up in the Leola area for the season...

Though I will admit to heading south this weekend, to join a bunch of friends around the Mitchell/Forestburg area.

If you are hunting around mitchel this weekend, I don't know the details, but cabelas released 50 banded pheasants... one of which could be worth some major money. Keep your eyes open.

Dave Frank

I am leaving tommorow afternoon for SD. I can't wait! My dogs and I are ready, and ther reports have been just making the wait worse. I still like to see them though. It will be my first SD hunt, I will post when we get back.

Can't wait as well. Nothing better than walking the beautiful SD fields behind a group of excited dogs with a group of more excited hunters. Not to mention exploring the "back roads" as the sun starts to set, hearing somebody yell "STOP", piling out of the truck like a bunch of bank robbers and watching as a whole field full of birds lift off into the distance. Ahhh. . .

About 10 of us are heading for SD tomorrow. We will hunt friday thru monday. We will be staying in Andover just east of Aberdeen 1/2 hour or so just off hwy 12. A friend of ours that grew up in the area ( who lives here in MN now )rounded up a bunch of guys and now its a yearly event . Last year was my first time ever to hunt pheasant and I had a great time so now I am hooked. If you see a grey Dodge pickup with Ontario plates ( its my dad's ) stop by and say HI. Not too sure where we hunt. I am pretty pumped for this weekend. I will post when we return. Good luck and be safe! Brian

Was out opening weekend and we did very well. We were based out of Doland SD. Day one there were 10 of us with 5 dogs. We all had limits and our birds cleaned and were deciding to do the rest of the day by 2:00. Amazing hunting!! The next four days were also very good but not so quick. We did manage to get in 9 holes of golf on the last day too!! Great hunting. Be safe and have fun!!

Just got back Wednesday, it was fun, fun, fun!!! Saw lots of birds, shot lots of birds, had a couple of days where we were done early but had a couple of others where we had to hunt all day. Biggest problem was that it had been so dry all summmer that the farmers were out cutting all the grass in the low areas, all of our favorate spots were flat!!! Had couple of areas that were full of water several years ago that were now dry with sagebrush growing!!! Can't wait to get back on Nov 17th!!!