• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fisher trapping question

Cooter

Actually a couple questions. First, is their fur good by this time of year(I'd like to try this weekend or the next). Second, with a 220 and a pail for a cubby set, what kind of cuts/openings do I need to make for the trap springs? I know so very little about conibears that I'm having trouble picturing everything and don't want to try figuring it all out in the woods(yes call me 'last minute Cooter'). Also, will a 220 fit in the average 5 gal bucket or are pails not the way to go? Finally, I'm planning on baiting with venison and some type of lure, any recommendations? I'm thinking some weasel gland lure. Thanks, this is gonna be any interesting venture for me! BTW - I couldn't find squat on cubby sets for fishers on the internet and the books at the local library weren't worth two dead flies.

We cant set our traps for fisher til sometime in nov. My 220's fit in a 5 gallion bucket. All i do for the notchers are to take a snips and cut kinda a tri-angle into the bucket and get it deep enough so that it is completley into the bucket so that it dont get rained/snow on it, then stake it solid with 1by2's. Make sure you wire it solid too or you endup looking for your caught in the woods. Had big coon take my bucket up into the barn last year becasue all i did was wire the trap to the bucket. I used them for raccoons and it works great. I did gete a fisher last year and that came on a cleaned frozen duck in the back of the bucket. Make sure that whatever you got for bait that you make sure that they have to go in the bucket ro else you get sprung traps from them reaching in. I would wait til at least November for fishers as the fur isnt quite fully prime. I saw one under my tree a week ago and he looked okay but i'd wait for a while. No sense getting screwed by the furdealer when he tells you it isnt fully prime and he knocks off 20 bucks. I also checked a dead coon for being prime and they might be getting close but we have to wait til the 21st to start here.

Cooter,

If you want something that really stinks and attracts fisher, cut a deer hide in small strips. Put them in a garbage bag and seal tightly. Put this in a second bag and seal just as tightly. Two weeks in the basement and the strips should stink enough to attract fisher from a long distance. Also, try prebaiting. Once you have a fisher coming in, you should catch it in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. As far as the fur being prime, I'm not gonna sell, just would like a rug, full mount, or soft tan - am I still better off waiting until Nov? I'd like to trap for them now cuz I got time off work in Nov for bowhunting and I also have a bobcat tag which may keep me busy in Dec depending on snow. Guess what I'm saying is I'm short on time and the next two weekends would work for me to get out and set some traps. Also, anyone used the traps Scheels sells, think they are called Ed's or something. Thanks again, later.

How long is your season ?? when does it start and end ?? (dates)

I'm thinking they wouldn't be prime for awhile......