Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Dog vest?

9 posts in this topic

I am thinking about getting a dog vest for my 10-year-old and the puppy. Any thoughts to brands or types? Do they make a revesible? Orange and camo would be nice.

How about sizes. Do I have to measure the dog or would most fit a lab?

Thanks!

it depend on what type of hunting you are doing. for duck i have a 5mm neopren vest with armor gaurd on the chest and belly with added foam on the back. i got that one at sportsmans wharehouse. you will just need to figure out what thickness you want.

for pheasant's i have a remington blase orange vest that is made out of nylon or cordura. can't remember and that has a double layer on the belly also. and that open on the back to keep them cool and it just has velcro straps to hold it on.

for sizes you need to measure you dog. just like humans each dog is different in sizes. just take measurements around the neck, chest and waist. make sure when you measure to keep it a little loose and then bring those measurements to cabela's or some place like that and find someone to help you and tell them the measurements and you should be set. good luck

Does the camo one help them float a little? Like on a long swim?

yes it does. mine has foam in the back that helps a lot. especially on those long retrieves. it's like a life jacket.

Any Brand over another? Do you pretty much get what you pay for and are all manufacture brands nearly the same? What would you say is the best bang for your buck in water dog vest(s).

yes you pretty much get what you paid for but not all the time. what i look for in a vest is, that the zipper has to be on the back with some sort of flap to cover up the zipper, it has to have add floatation some where and the big thing is it has to have armor flex on the chest. i hunt just about 4 days out of the week chasing ducks and my lab has put her vest threw everything. and that armor flex seems to help alot. ya their is getting a few tare's here and their but it's still holding up. the best bang for the buck vest would have have to be one with added floatation, armor flex on the chest, a zipper on the back with a flap to cover it and it has to be 5mm. i go mine from sportsman's warehouse.

Thanks Stretch, I know exactly which ones you are talking about....On my work lunch break, I head over to Sportsman's Warehouse about 3 times a week, it is very hard to come out of there without going to the pay counter first. But anyway, my lab pup is only 16 wks so I have some time yet...Maybe can pick one up on clearance at the end of the season. But if I can't, I don't have a problem spending money on one a few week before 2007's hunting season, as I want to, first and foremost, make sure it fits comfortable for her. Thanks for the great info again...

hey hunting_24_7, no problem with the info. i was in the same spot trying to figure out what to get. also you can trim the vest so it isn't rubbing on your dogs legs and neck. ya i would wait till the the end of the season to pick one up then you can introduce it to your dog during the summer so it can get use to it.. good luck and happy hunting.

Great info guys!

Thanks

Hitman

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• leech~~

Posted

2 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down! :mad: This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 

Could have throw a line off the south shore since you were all the way up there. :(

• easyrider25

Posted

Hey guys thanks for the tips.  What you are saying really makes sense.  I have been working on these items this week, not expecting a completely changed dog out there but looking forward to continued exercises this weekend out in the blind.

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down! :mad: This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 

• papadarv

Posted

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

I bet the state, not the political cronies, would get a lot more money by having the auction on the internet or allowing phone bids.  Heck, put them on the bay of E. 

Actually DMV and DNR do quite well at their auctions. You win bid, You Pay, You own. No red tape, no collection process, simple and things seem to sell for quite a bit of money. Go and one see for yourself, its quite amazing. Lots of them at the Arden Hills DMV. Hard to collect money over the phone and on the internet. I do believe they will use the same auction process for this property sale as the DMV and DNR are good at it and a lot of buyers will be there. If the internet were to be used, the "political cronies" would need to create a bill, Ear Mark several million to develop a site, create an app, hire 40 to 50 people to manage and than increase taxes to cover the cost much like Obama Care Not a good plan. If your interested, go to auction, bring lots of money, win a bid and own.

2016 MN auction schedule if your interested in going to one.

http://mn.gov/admin/citizen/surplus-property/auctions/schedule/

• SpecialK

Posted

They were dredging there today. Not sure if they are done or if it will take longer.

• the weather has not been good this past week either, but fishing was still do able. Pike island is a popular spot and I am sure you can find fish there. Gold is. would be worth a try as would the area around the wolf pack. We had 4 nice walleye today and a great fish fry tonight. Heading home in the morning for the season. so good luck

• I bet we will end up going to red trying to convince the couple guys that dont like sleepers for some reason that a 10x24 sleeper is just like a cabin and that we can bring 2 portables to bounce around if we want. Dont really need a guide ill probably allready have gone there 3-4 times before this trip.... Maybe superior will freeze good this year and I can convince them to go there i guess I just get kinda bored or red sometimes

• delcecchi

Posted

I bet the state, not the political cronies, would get a lot more money by having the auction on the internet or allowing phone bids.  Heck, put them on the bay of E. 

• delcecchi

Posted

On 9/13/2016 at 4:37 PM, loadmaster said:

Well, got out of the hospital and rehab a couple of weeks ago, Its been a long haul went in on Feb 15, with some massive heart attacks.   Starting to feel better and have hit Fish a couple of times.  Thought I would check out the site and see if traffic has picked up,  Sorry to say not much different, a lot of lookers as usual and not a lot of posters

Been there and done that.... Not the site but the hospital etc

• certified jumbo

Posted

In northwest Wisconsin 26 hunting dogs have already been killed this late summer.   Already breaking the record of 23.  Be careful in the northland.

• leech~~
      Could have throw a line off the south shore since you were all the way up there.
    • easyrider25
      Hey guys thanks for the tips.  What you are saying really makes sense.  I have been working on these items this week, not expecting a completely changed dog out there but looking forward to continued exercises this weekend out in the blind.
    • JBMasterAngler
      Drove all the way up to grindstone this morning from Forest Lake. As I'm driving along the shoreline, I can't stop admiring how beautiful of a day it is, and how great it will be to be on the water. Was totally amped up to fish for some trout! Then I pull up to the boat launch...and it's closed down!  This dredging project has been pushed back for years, then they finally decide to do it on a beautiful sunny day, that I picked to come here...on the last day of the lake trout season nonetheless! Needless to say, I was very upset! 
    • papadarv
      Actually DMV and DNR do quite well at their auctions. You win bid, You Pay, You own. No red tape, no collection process, simple and things seem to sell for quite a bit of money. Go and one see for yourself, its quite amazing. Lots of them at the Arden Hills DMV. Hard to collect money over the phone and on the internet. I do believe they will use the same auction process for this property sale as the DMV and DNR are good at it and a lot of buyers will be there. If the internet were to be used, the "political cronies" would need to create a bill, Ear Mark several million to develop a site, create an app, hire 40 to 50 people to manage and than increase taxes to cover the cost much like Obama Care Not a good plan. If your interested, go to auction, bring lots of money, win a bid and own. 2016 MN auction schedule if your interested in going to one. http://mn.gov/admin/citizen/surplus-property/auctions/schedule/
    • SpecialK
      They were dredging there today. Not sure if they are done or if it will take longer.