• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best portable ice house for two people

Mueller

Question

I am going to buy a portable ice shelter. I saw a Frabill Prowler GT and really liked the seats and with out any other advise I would probably buy it. Do any of you out there have any comments about other makes? Here are the criteria that I have:

only need room for two people

will be carried on the back of a pick up

needs to be comfortable (seats)

needs to be set up rather easily

must be made well

Thanks

Mueller

26 answers to this question

If it will be strickly out of a truck and never any towing by ATV or snowmobile I think alot of the ones mentioned above will be fine (except Otter). If you want the most durable and well built that will let you tow etc. I would spend the money and get an Otter. I have 2 close friends and we all got different brands and after 2 seasons they all wish they would have gone with the Otter like I did.

The Frabil's do have great seats, if you are only going to use it out of your truck you might want to check out the Frabil Arctic Caboose, it's a flip over that plugs into your hitch.

Fishtrap Yukon gets my vote.

I think there is another out there with nicer seats though - Frabill?

Fish Trap Voyaguer is tops in my book...easy set up and lots of room with very comfortable seats. I would suggest hitting up the ice fishing show at the St. Paul River Center when ever that is this year. You usually can get a really good deal with all the competition under one roof. Last year, I walked out the door with over $800 in retail for just under $500.

If you were going fishing most of the time with one more person I would go with the frabill If you find yourself going alone sometimes, I would look at something with a bench seat. I have a Eskimo Quick Flip III and I love it, the bench could be a little more comfortable when sitting on it, but, if you get a little tired and want to lay down it is comfortable. I have spent the night in it, fold the back rest to the flat position and there you have more space. Rods down in the water. Reminds me I am going to have to get bells for the rod tips. It was a last minute decision to spend the night on the lake. Nice and comfy.

The otter may be comfy too, or other bench seats, Eskimo is my first flip over.

I love my Otter Cabin. Some guys are going to reply that the Cabin's too small for their needs when out with a partner, but if you're looking for a place in which two can easily be comfortable but isn't so big that you can't handle it by yourself (they DO get heavy lifting them up into the vehicle...), the Cabin is the perfect size. Not to mention it's incredibly roomy when going solo.

I reccomend the the otter lodges, they are a great choice. although I am happy with my yukon too shocked.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

As far as quality goes the Voyageur and Otter Lodge are some of the best out there. I use and Otter lodge for a few reasons. The tubs are darn near indestructible and I like the taller sides with up swept rake of the Otter tubs. Where Otter leaves the rest of the field behind is with its aluminum square tubbing pole system. Any new new flipover will setup fast with ease, give them a few years of service and then compare. Bent, rusted or galvanized poles that have oxidized will slow you down and have you out shopping for a new shelter. Yes Otters cost more but they should give you more years of service.

For seating I use the Otter seat brackets and bought boat seats so the skys the limit there as far as options.

I considered the bench seats and may make my own with a deeper seat and backrest that folds down for sleepy time.

Fish Traps are light. If your going to be dragging

your house a long distance, don't forget to put

weight in your criteria. Draggin a sled full of

gear and plowin snow is not easy.

Tony

My vote is for the Otter Medium Cabin. I fish two adults and sometimes my 5yr old son to boot. It's still pretty light weight and room enough for two adults and gear.

If you are both olympic powerlifters, you might want to look at the new Fishtrap X 2 man. Looks very nice, but OMG heavy! The one man is listed at 102 lbs!! Otherwise, you can't go wrong with the Otters listed - they rock.

I like room and dont like my fishing partner rubbing my elbow so I vote for the Otter Mag Lodge. If you want long lasting quality go Otter. Especially if you tow it. Buy the hyfax.

I had a fish trap guide. I liked the lightweight but I didn't like my fishing partner and I bumpin into each other and touching elbows.......ick. Also, I couldn't stand up.

I shopped and was torn between an otter and a voyager. I bought the voyager. I was a difficult decision as the otter was a little cheaper, but the voyager seemed to have thicker and tougher canvas/tarp/tent material.

I have a Voyager and have been very happy with it.I have hyfax on the sled and tow it with my wheeler and the bottom still looks very good after 5 years.I have also fished out of the Otter Lodge and again a very nice portable.This year I also bought a Otter.

I really think you cannot go wrong with either,but would also put the hyfax on the bottom of the tub on both.

Its a tough choice.Its more for the Otter but it may last you for a longer period of time.

I also had a Fish Trap Guide for a couple of years and share your same opinions on that particular model. I can remember fishing with my dad last year with a vexilar, aqua vu, and a sunflower, and it was practically impossible to get in and out of the shelter without falling down because of the ceiling height. I also agree with you 100% about the rubbing elbows bit. The worst is when you attempt to take off your jacket while sitting next to that person. I personally think it is better off used as a one person outfit. With that you also have plenty of room to haul your gear as opposed to the solo models. One of the advantages it did have was that it did fit very nicely in the back of my Blazer with all of the equipment stored in the sled. Was also very easy to get in and out the vehicle even when loaded with euipment due to it being so lighweight.

I have the Otter Lodge and I think this will be the sixth year of fairly heavy use. I see no reason to replace it. The sled will break. I broke one last year, but maybe I shouldn't have been pulling it 70 mph across Crow Lake. The Otter is a winner.

Another vote for the Otter Lodge. I picked one up at the Ice Fishing Show in St. Paul a few years back for a decent price with some accessories thrown in. Also a good place to compare all brands within walking distance of each other.

The Eskimo Quickflip II Deluxe great deal and very spacious ive had it for 2 years know and im loving it!!

WildBill

The Otter Medium Cabin would suit you just fine. I fish 2 people out of mine all season long.

I have a Frabill XL Twin. Wide sled, awesome seats with beer and rod holders built in. My friends have voyaguers and guides, they can not believe how nice these new Frabills are. The new material, Artic Shield I think, is nice and thick. This gets my vote.

I went with an XL twin too and am glad that I did. Nice sled, material, great seats and lots of room. Not too heavy for one old guy to get in and out of a pickup either. smile.gif