Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
USPENAMC

which would be an all around dog

USPENAMC

Good morning,

i have been looking at different adoption agencies and there are alot of breeds to choose from I dont want a dog that will do one thing and not another i would like an all around dog what type should i get.

things i plan on hunting would be

DUCK, GEESE, PHEASEANTS, and DOVES i would like a dog that could find a pheaseant, as well as dive in for a duck or geese and find a downed DOVE. im looking at gsp pointers, labradors, retrievers, lab/ret mixes which one should i get and how old. there are from 7 months old to 5 years or so

gspman

I think any of the flushing/retrieving breeds would be your best bet plus they might be more available from the adoption agency. A couple pointing breeds to look at are German Wirehair and Wirehaired Pointing Griffon but you might have a hard time finding one at the agency.

stretch

i would say a lab. cause they don't pick up alot of burrs like a long hair dog does. they can handle the could weather really good and they are really good with kids. that is just my 2 cents. good luck picking out a dog.

jbdragon17

Why in the world would you adopt? If you want a hunting dog go to a hunting breeder. Adoption costs are getter closer and closer to breeder costs. I would suggest finding a couple breeders with good bloodlines and finding a dog you like. You are increasing your chances GREATLY of getting a good hunter and family dog if you go to a breeder. The last dog we adopted cost $350, then bit 13 people and ended up going back.

You can usually find real nice hunting dogs with good blood lines from $400-$600. This is an animal you will have with you for 10+ years. Choose wisely.

As far as the breed goes... I would probably look at one of the Versatile breeds... GSP, GWP, PP... etc.

verg

get a lab. they are the most versatile dog. Name another that can pound cattails for pheasants and not get burrs, then jump in an icy slough and retrieve for hours-then go home and sleep on the rug with the kids. Just my opinion.

rundrave

Not even going to go there. I think the best dog is the one you buy, and put your time and money into.

it doesnt matter what kind it is. If it does what you want it to do. great

on a side note, I say GSP...lol

Eric Wettschreck

One of my dogs is a mix between a black lab, border collie, golden retriever and prolly a dozen other breeds. The mutts the best darn dog I've ever had.

It's good with the kids, loyal, comes when I call it, she even hunts kinda. I think her only downside is she likes to drag things into the yard and eat them and holy crap does venison give her the smelly farts.

Like earlier said, the best dog is the one you have and work with.

Blaze

USPENAMC,

Do you want a pointing dog or a flushing dog? That will immediately shave the list down. This question of "all around versatile dog" comes up every year it seems, and the basic responses seem to be this:

Flushers: labs, springers, or field bred cockers/boykins (labs will have less coat maintenance)

Pointers: german wirehairs, griffons, german shorthairs (also check out VDD registered Drahthaars). The GWPs & griffs will have the advantage retrieving late season ducks, though.

NAVHDA would be a good resource for you to see versatile dogs in action and get a feel for good breeders in the area as well.

Good luck,

Blaze

Powerstroke

Hey Dave,

I just went through this very process. My wife and I intended to buy a rescue dog from an adoption place or other accredited dog rescue and found that unless you're getting a "pound puppy", the price to adopt has gone up dramatically....to the cost of getting a bred puppy.

I chose an English Springer Spaniel. After finding several juvenile and adult dogs, we decided that the price differential is not that much to adopt or buy a puppy from a reputable breeder.

To answer you question I think with your style of hunting a lab or springer would suit you best. Labs are almost a dime a dozen but a good hunting dog is a bit harder to find.

I would suggest if you're really hoping to find a dog for hunting that you either focus on the youngest dog you can find or plan to buy a puppy from a breeder and start at the beginning.

I paid $450 for my springer from a small town breeder that specializes in hunting spaniels. They are breeders, not kennel and train people, but the blood lines on the dogs are field champions and my little guy has great instincts.

Dahitman44

Hard to beat a lab. I have two now. One that is 10 and one that is six months.

The 10-year-old is my best friend. It will be hard when he passes. There is something about the lab that makes it the best choice. The eyes, the positive attitude or the 1,2,3 or 4 lip curl when they are upset with you. It is funny.

They are SMART.

JDM

If you want to hunt now, buy a started dog from a trainer. It is well worth the cost. To me, adoption sounds like a good pet, but the odds of a good or even servicable hunting dog have to be low. I would buy a puppy.

You will be happy with a lab or golden retriever. They can do everything you mentioned. I am a lab guy, but golden puppies are the cutest things ever.

aprowl

Hey powerstroke, who did you get your springer from??Mine will be 8 weeks next Tuesday, she's coming from Montana..This will be our third Springer..If you want to get together in the spring to train let me know....aprowl

caseymcq

My wife lucked out. For $287 she got a black lab pup, Oscar, from St. Francis of Assisi Animal Rescue in Forest Lake. The pup came neutered, chipped and first round of shots. He turned out to be a pretty good dog.

oscarsl2.jpg

We bought a female from an awesome breeder but we paid $600. She was well worth it but the $287 was a steal for Oscar.

I will put a plug in for labs, specifically black labs grin.gif, as one of the best all around dogs if not the best all around dog.

ReelTimes

A dog is a long term investment. Therefore, I would take your time and make sure you find the breed that is best suited for you. It is mostly personal preference. Any of the hunting breeds from good bloodlines can be excellent dogs. First you should consider what you will be hunting. For example, I used to hunt waterfowl and all upland game, and have had a few great labs over the years. The labs are a great overall dog for the guy who does alot of everything. I no longer hunt waterfowl (very little anyways) and primarily grouse hunt, with 2-3 weeks of pheasant hunting in the dakotas. I have a english "field bred" cocker and he is a great little dog. His small size is a great advantage on grouse and he does great on pheasant in most conditions. I may get a springer to have something a little larger for higher/heavier cover but went with the spaniels because I like the way they quarter and work hard to cover the ground, yet stay in fairly close (and as I said, I don't waterfowl much). Someone else suggested deciding between pointer or flusher. Get out and hunt with guys who have both. I have had the pleasure hunting with some excellent pointing dogs and they can be alot of fun, too. So I would suggest deciding what your gonna hunt, preference for flusher or pointer, and that will help narrow the list. Then get out and hunt with somne of the breeds. It really is personal preference