Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thomas

hauling deer

25 posts in this topic

How do people get their deer home, without a pickup? I'm thinking of trailer or a hitch platform that is 60" length by 20" wide. The hitch is lot cheeper, so would prefer to buy it.

5 gallon buckets, if you do it right.

Hitch works ok IF you cover the deer with a tarp.If you dont you can throw away the deer by the time ya get home.1 gravel road and the deer is full of dust,rocks and everything else

Quote:

How do people get their deer home, without a pickup? I'm thinking of trailer or a hitch platform that is 60" length by 20" wide. The hitch is lot cheeper, so would prefer to buy it.

Like this:

JettaandDeer.jpg

I'd go with the trailer if it was me.

You can find many cheap ones at Farm/Supply stores and after season they can be used for many other projects needing supplies around the house or acreage. wink.gif

Farmer

As stated above, I strongly suggest in either option that you take extra care in covering/wrapping the deer up to keep dirt/road salt (if cold enough) off of the animal.

the wife loves this, I lay a tarp down take out our 3rd row seats and they fit perfectly in our windstar

Quote:

the wife loves this, I lay a tarp down take out our 3rd row seats and they fit perfectly in our windstar

Don't you worry about the deer ticks?

I drive a jeep and all I do is field dress the deer, line my otter sled with a tarp, load the deer in the sled, wrap it with the tarp and put it in the back of my jeep. (I have to lay down the back seats) This keeps the deer from getting dirty on a rack. If it is cold enough, I just keep my warm clothes on and drive home in the cold. If it warmer, I turn on the air conditioner and put ice in the body cavity of the deer. This method is tried and true with multiple deer and antelope!

Dave Frank

grin.gif

This topic brings back memories when I got a deer bowhunting and I rode my motorcycle that day!

I got the deer home, but I got lots of funny looks with a deer riding sitting up behind me held on by a couple nylon straps and a couple bungee's holding it to the backrest and anything else I could connect a strap or bungee to.

Thank god for the helmet... the antlers smacked me pretty good when I hit the brakes too hard!

That may be the funniest thing I have ever read on here!! Good Story! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I don't know if that story is true but who cares, that is one hilarious mental picture. I agree with the five gallon bucket routine. We always bone our meat out. It takes up less space and, if its a long drive, nobody wants to butcher when we get home.

I maybe have to question your confidence in harvesting a deer on a night you rode your motorcycle...

Is your bow & all your hunting clothes & everything already at the place you were hunting, otherwise where did you carry all that stuff?

I agree it's a hilarious mental picture, no matter how you slice it. Somebody should have taken a picture of it.

Big Bucks.

I was wearing my Coveralls(Camo hunting clothes), My bike had a rack on the back and I just strapped it to the rack in a hard case. Any thing else I need fits in a fanny pack(knife, etc). This was a semi-dressed bike with a windshield, ajustable back rest(driver or passenger), saddle bags rack, etc.. it was a full size 80's cruiser bike, not a rocket.

I had an alternate plan to contact friends or family when I needed a deer hauled.. everyone was at work, or not answering the phone. I wasnt leaving the deer.

Needless to say my coveralls were pretty much destroyed(stained) by the blood, and I was still finding blood specks on my bike a year later... my insulated coveralls soaked most of it up.

I managed to support the entire deer up to the last couple inches of neck. The head did turn and sway a little, but it wasnt bad unless I braked too hard(would head-butt me). It probably took me close to 2 hours to strap that deer on. I always had a lot of bungees and straps for carrying my fishing gear, bow, rifle cases, or a keg of beer here and there(I was young).

Man would that have made some GREAT video!

no, at least I haven't, I might now

I believe in Mn you have to take it out whole. Better check the regs. on that before you use buckets. A pick-up works great and the animal is not in sight for "squeamish" people. A trailer would probably be second choice. Although the mental image of a deer on a motorcycle is hilarious, I don't think that would be a recommended method for many reasons. wink.gif

I bet people would pay money to see a video of that! I could see it happening though! Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jibmo

As long as you register it I think you could bone it out.

Quote:

As long as you register it I think you could bone it out.

2006 Regs book, page 72:

"The head of the deer must remain attached to the carcass until the deer is registered. Skin and entrails may be removed before registration. Deer may be quartered before being registered, but the animal's head must remain attached to one of the quarters".

Thanks for the answer lcornice!!! Just this morning I was wondering about this, I've been pheasant hunting some big WPA's and thinking about bow hunting a couple of them but then started contemplating the looooong drag out after I get Mr. Big (gotta be an optimist to be a bowhunter), was wondering whether just leaving sex organs on was enough, but I guess the head is the key. That could be weird bundle to carry, a head attached to the front qtr....

Anybody tried this, could a person carry a quartered deer out in two trips?

I guess the other question would be, "Can you leave parts of the deer at the kill site on a WMA?"

If you quartered it, could you leave the legs, skin, anything else? You leave the gutpile, so I wouldnt think that would be a problem, but you never know.

If you could leave behind some "parts", I would think you could very easily get a quarted deer out in 2 trips.

BUT if you factor in all your hunting gear AND a deer in 2 trips, thats gonna be a load. (Bow, stand or blind, gear bag, etc)

I haven't tried that, but I carried two quarters of a caribou, along with the head & rack (forgot the saw at camp) about 4 miles across the tundra, so you should be able too carry a deer as even an abslutle monster buck would only be about the same as a bou. I'm no muscle bound monster either, but I am 6'1" & at that time weighed probably about 200, so it's not like I'm a real little guy either.

I will say, it was absolutely all I could carry & I had to have help to get up if I sat down. I think my shoulders still hurt & that was 13 years ago...

With the hitch platform don't you worry about the exhaust warming up the deer. If you have a car just trunk it on a tarp. Leave a leg out and it is legal.

I meant if you registered it in the area you shot it first than you could bone it out to bring home.