Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wade Joseph

Anyone heard of "FLITZ"

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering if this or any other products out there would polish head light lenses on a 98 F 150. I think they are plastic not glass. They seem kinda "frosted" after all these years and aren't as bright as they used to be even with new halogen bulbs.

Try 10% acid vinegar first.......

Wade, I have a Dodge and had same exact problem. I tried some products but they all revert to the same problem again.

Practically they are a very fine rubbing compound cream, and a silicone/wax cleaner. You rub the plastic with the compound until it gets clear then seal it with wax.

Well after trying 3 times with different products I ended up buying new headlights last month.

If you want I can tell you where to buy a new set for just a little more than what it cost the rubbing compound.

Or you can try Ebay, even the cheapest headlight assembly beats the rubbing compound.

Here is another way to solve cloudy headlights. A guy on one of the jeep forums I visit posted it.

headlight fix

Jeeps way is the way to go. I, being a bodyman have fixed many cloudy plastic lights and glass this way for years and it works the great. You have to get rid of the outer layer of damaged plastic then buff back. That outer layer becomes porous and clouds up so you get rid of it and buff, Walla , clear plastic

Wade I have a product by Novus I use it on My Harley windshields its a 3 step process but works great it got rid a alot of my small scratches ,,and now Im much more carefull what I clean them with ,,,You will need a buffing wheel tho to do this ,,,Im thinking the sand paper thing may be easier

Randoid

Something else you might want to try and being a Ex military you might have some is Brasso. I have used it on watch crystals and my old locator and it will clean them up if it is plastic.

When I was in the Navy we used "Neverdull" it was cotton batting impregnated with some kind of polish. Hard to find these days and very flamable. The Navy quit using it.

Think Im gonna try the wet sanding thing.

After you wet sand try some Novus plastic polish. It comes in a couple different "grits?" I highly recommend it for any plastic scratches.

You mentioned Flitz...it takes HEAVY carbon off stainless steel pistol barrels in a jiffy. It's the only thing my buddy tried that worked out of the big name auto brands.

Good Luck,

Ferny.