Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lookincalifornia

trout lures

12 posts in this topic

i am starting to get tired of the twisted lines that come with trowing spinners for trout. i have had success with a countdown rapala in a trout pattern. used to get em' on a rebel helgramite before it became a tree decoration.

i started on panther martins, and that is pretty much as far as i have ventured in my trout arsenal. i used to fish winona county creeks with a guy who would always get a couple on a maribou jig.

any body out there care to share a favorite lure, or good tip to reduce line twist?

I tie a snap (no swivel) to the end of my line and then hook up my hardware to that. Helps reduce line twist and allows me to change lures without re-tying.

i love those little snaps, they don't seem to work good with livebait on a hook, but put a spinner on there and they work wonders.

thanks,

i've tried a snap with a swivel, but had trouble getting the lure to spin as easily. i'll have to go with a snap only.

have you guys noticed how hard it is to find a solid pink rooster tail any more? i have a couple that i aquired from my grandfathers tackle box, and they work great. they are my new favorite color for trout.

whenever i look for more in any store the only have a rainbow trout patern. and that is as close to pink as they get. i did see pink in a BPS catalog, i'll have to stock up.

give pink a try if ya got any.

Flipping your bail by hand tends to reduce line twist opposed to cranking on your reel to auto flip the bail

i usually do flip the bail manually, but i think i need to do a better job of taking up all the slack before reeling.

it is hard to do when you cast upstream. i try to make my 4th or 5th cast downstream to put tension back in the line, but sometimes i get lazy.

i was hoping there was a cure all, but it is likely just me.

has anybody tried those rebel cickhoppers for trout? i have one, but can't remember the last time i saw a grasshopper under water swimming like a minnow. i cut the lip off to keep it on the surface, but still have never caught anything on it.

I hit a nice brownie on a hopper just a few trips ago. I know Ikeslayer has caught a few on the hoppers as well.

See Here

i guess i'll just have to keep throwing that hopper. do you twitch it on the surface, or crank em'? i can't crank mine anymore.

I've only used the hoppers once and I tried both twitching it on the surface, and cranking it in. I never had a bite while twitching it, and caught 1 fish on the retrieve. It dives 1-3 feet down.

well, i guess i'll use it sparingly unles i hear of somebody really hammering em' on hoppers. even then, i think i'll just throw an adams hopper with my fly rod.

thanks ty

Last time i trout fished, it was a few months ago in arkansas, but a friend and i caught 60 rainbows/browns/cutthroats in 3 hours with nothing but the small 2 inch long shallow running rapalas, one blue and white, the other yellow and white. We just gave it a real jerky retrieval and the trout went nuts for them.

yea, i like the little raps. most of mine are now in trees somewhere. i see they make an even smaller countdown now. i'll have to give that a try. it is like 1 1/2 inches long, and still probably 6$!