Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pigashalaka

Rainy Report and graph question.

7 posts in this topic

Fished

Red Gut Bay for crappies/Black Sturgeon Bay on Saturday. Did not do well for crappies. Marked plenty of fish, but only caught one. Went to NW bay on Sunday. Did much better, took a long time to find fish, but once we were on top of them, things went well, ended up wtih 21.

Question for anyone: In fall time, how can you distinguish crappies from other species. We marked TONS of fish, but only seemed to catch fish (crappies) with horizontal lines on the graph. Graphed plenty of horizontal clouds about 3 feet off the bottom, which I think are baitfish, because we caught other species instead of crappies. Anyone have a tip to distinguish crappies on a locator? Probably go back up to Rainy this weeeknd. Those crappies are addicting!!!

Anyone fish walleyes in NW bay in the fall????

Pig

Between last Saturday the 7th and Thursday the 12th we had 90 walleye over 21 inches caught and released with the largest being over 30. Most were caught on cranks, but as the weather grew harsher jig and minnow. Vince Allan-Amik Lodge

Wow, Vince. That is impressive. Any recommendations on specific locations or spots to try? Reefs? Deep water?

Pig

The fish were caught in mostly shallow water from 6 to 14 feet. The cranks where taildancers black/gray. I would also put on a bottom bouncer with chartruese blade spinner and a minnow, but leave a long snell.(biggest fish caught on that combo) I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding the productive spots. Vince Allan-Amik Lodge

You must have had a couple of excellant fisherman at your place that week!!! grin.gif

Pig, I was one of the fishermen. How did you make out? Vince Allan-Amik Lodge

Vince--

Did well for crappies again. Sometimes fast and furious, sometimes dead slow. Weird. There are so many fish on the graph in deep water in NW bay, it is amazing. Must be millions of baitfish crusing around there. There were times when the graph would sense fish as bottom. Did that happen to anyone? Vince, how did you make out?