• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

willey coyote got away

carpshooterdeluxe

while goose hunting in a field this morning i noticed a coyote trying to put the sneak on our spread from about 100 yards away; squeaked him in from the layout blind to about 50 yards and gave him an @ss full of hi-density BB for his troubles when he winded us and whirled around for an escape. just wondering if anybody else has had any yotes come in like that? its definetly a first for me! just wish i could have dropped him clean; beautifull pelt on him!

We had the same thing happen last year and got him. Got a nice pic of him and the geese but it's not digital and I don't have a scanner.

crazy.gif Wished you could of dropped him clean? Probably should of shot him with something else besides BB then.

its funny, i was on my stand the other morning and i saw one come right under my stand so i shot her and she ran 30 yards and laid over then 5 mins later a second one came but didnt get as close to me as the other one did she stopped about 45-50 yards away from me, so i ended up shooting her too. i never thought i would get two coyotes with in 5 mins of each other. i rather shoot those instead of deer honestly.

I shot one with my bow about three weeks ago, it gave one little yip, ran off about 60 yards and keeled over. My only regret is that it was still too warm for the fur to be prime, I would have liked to skinned it out and got the hide tanned.

Quote:

its funny, i was on my stand the other morning and i saw one come right under my stand so i shot her and she ran 30 yards and laid over then 5 mins later a second one came but didnt get as close to me as the other one did she stopped about 45-50 yards away from me, so i ended up shooting her too. i never thought i would get two coyotes with in 5 mins of each other. i rather shoot those instead of deer honestly.

same thing happened to me last week! only thing, i pulled back on it, but she kept trauting by, so i couldnt get a clean shot, i should of just let the arrow fly... 1st time Ive ever seen coyotes so close and in my stand!

Quote:

crazy.gif
Wished you could of dropped him clean? Probably should of shot him with something else besides BB then.

Shoot them with whatever you have. Need to get rid of them; go for the head!

Not saying we need to have more canines running around our areas. But, just do it right and make sure you have a killing shot before letting an animal run off full of bird shot.

Yep i agree every animal deserves to be put down fast and Ethically, yes even a yote. no animal deserves to suffer.

Actually, a lot of 'yote hunters in the desert southwest use shotguns with BB shot, although in those cases they are shooting lead.

Gerry Blair is famous for rolling 'yotes with his old Ithica 10 gauge semi auto and copper plated lead BB's.

Lots of 40-50 yard kills with lead. With steel, I would venture 35 yards would be about the limit due to the rapid energy fall off.

Shoot them with anything you have at hand!!

This is one animal that we can not stand at all.

If you have ever seen how they will kill for the fun of it, you would feel the same too!!

Had one or two go thru a barn yard two years back, sickest thing I have ever witnessed.They didn't kill one or two and take them away for food, they attacked 1/2 of what was in there maiming many that we had to eventually put down. Neighbors dogs were also attacked by them.

My 2 cents worth is, if you get a chance plug there @ss any way you can.

Farmer

I arrowed a doe at 8:15am Sunday morning. Because I wasn't sure of the shot, I let it go for 4 hours before I started to trail it. It only went 50 yards from my stand and i found it in 15 minutes. The coyotes found it before me. Both hind quarters were gone and the entrance wound was eaten out. Too bad to lose half a deer.

BOYZ

There are some of us who actively hunt Mr. Coyote, in fact we are heading north tonight for a couple days of chasing the old song dogs. If you have a desire to rid your property of these predators, we would gladly help you out, in fact, we will take you out with us to enjoy the fun. One of us has a Foxpro FX3 caller and I have a Minaska Outdoors M1 Bandit, both are wireless MP3 callers that have a range of about 250 yards from the caller to remote. We are always looking to help people out with their predator problems. We don't want deer/turkey/goose/grouse/duck/ or pheasant hunting access, just predators.

A single dose of .223 does a real bang up job on the coyote too laugh.gif

Picks, have you done anything lately ? Got my gun and I can't way to put it to work.

I was down at my in laws this weekend, we went out and I had some battery connection issues with the remote, fixed that after 10 minutes of cursing under my breath. Called in a number of crows, shot one, missed the other. I was going to give you a call but I am heading north tonight, and the bride has decided that will be enough hunting for this week. Have you been hearing them lately? Take a pumpkin, fill it with water, re plug the hole and hit it with a ballistic tip out of your new rig. good fun.

I will call or email you next week Val.

hevi-shot BB with a pattern master choke out of my 3.5. inch super x2; patterns @ roughly 60 percent at 55 yards. i just shot behind him somewhat due to him winding me and whirrling around on a dime. first dusting of snow and he or any of his buddies unfortunate enough to be caught in the open is going to have a nice speedy .22 diameter hollow point in him from the M-77.

Picksbigwagon

JUst an FYI

Have you checked with a CO about remote callers? Our Co Says they are illegal. Says its part of taking animals with use of radio. Also said is OK to be remote just cant be wireless!

I think it sucks but that is Direct from our CO! I do wonder what other co's think!

This seems absurd to me, the remote control for these caller controls the machine, is not the actual caller.

But it's a good point of discussion, like the handheld light at night.

Let's see what are the replies.

Well I posted the question on a predator hunting dedicated forum and yes the reply is: remote controlled callers are not legal in MN, they are considered same as remote control, motorized spinning wing decoy for duck hunting.

We have to change this, I assume the law cannot keep up with technology.

I just returned from up north, I will have to look into this wireless caller issue. when I did the research before, I was told it was okay to have one, I will contact the local CO and the state and see what they have to say. went to the garage and got the regs:

Page 26 of 2006 regulations: "Unprotected animals, weasels, coyotes, gophers, porcupines, striped skunks, adn all other animals for which there is no closed seasons or other protection are unprotected animals. They may be taken in any manner except with the aid of artificial lights or motor vehicle to drive, chase, run over, or kill the animal...."

on page 30: "Radios and Other Wireless Devices -Using walkie talkies, cell phones, or other radio equipment to take big game or small game is unlawful.

-A DNR permit is required to take unprotected animals with the aid or radio equipment.

Now here is where it is gonna get fuzzy, and I think where a lot of confusion comes in, when I contacted the DNR last spring, the said as long as I am not in contact with another person with radio equipment, the caller is fine, yes it uses a radio signal, a FRS signal to start,stop,vol up vol down, but there is no vocalizing with another person.... I will email the state and see what they happen to say this year, but I know that last year my local CO was completely fine with me building my homemade caller that was wireless.

Of course, they made a mistake in the use of handheld lights portion of the first regulation, it is now legal to use hand held lights from january until until march 15. here are those regulations which now cloud up this whole topic too:

Page 46

A person hunting coyote from Jan 1 to March 15th may use an artificial light under the following conditions:

-While on foot and not within the public right of way

-using a shotgun

-USING A CALLING DEVICE

not within 200 feet of vehicle.

I purchased a predator calling device, it is an electronic calling device, but a calling device none the less.

I will post what my local CO and the state have to say. If I am wrong I will get the radio permit. stay tuned

Oh yeah, I was up around pine river/longville this week doing some grouse/ducks/ predator calling. Didn't see any coyotes up there, but there were deer everywhere. Saw them along the road sides at 1:00 in the afternoon, feeding in the ditches. Had something crash through the woods at sundown on our 2nd to last calling set, never heard it run away, could have sworn I heard it grunt/groan at me. OF course it didn't help that we were watching a beer hunting video the night before. I thought I was gonna be a big snack.

this post is too long....stay tuned for the State's response

We have lots of coyotes in our deer hunting area by Pine City. I'm going to keep a shotgun in my stand for running dogs and I got some ammo two days ago. I got 12 ga., 3&1/2 in.number four buckshot. I think that might just spoil their whole day. grin.gif