Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big musk411

Todays Report

8 posts in this topic

Today was a great day to be on the river. Water temps were hovering around the 50 degree mark. The Smallies were active. It wasn't fast and furious, but stedy all day. Most fish were caught jiggin, a few lindy rigging and some even hit spinner baits. We caught most of our fish in deep water or ajaicent to deep water. Seemed like others out there were doing good as well. I gave my fishing partner a jigging lesson, he snagged about ten jigs and I only lost one. Every time he was retying, I caught a fish. The highlight of the day was when this fish hit my six inch redtail,

p1010245ro9.jpg

Notice the gash behind its head. My buddie thinks it got hit by someones prop, I was thinking incident with River Otter. Any ideas?

Randy R, how did you do? I fished your area early with limited sucess.

Best Regards,

Matt T

Hi Matt.

At least I didn't run into you yesterday! grin.gif

It was slow for me, the water temp I had was 47 degrees (I am sure it warmed as the day went on, it was a very nice day) and the bass were not agressively hitting tubes. I did manage to get a few smallmouth but nothing to brag about, and one plump 18 inch walleye. Minnows would probably been a better choice, particularly for walleye.

Nice walleye, how long was it?

I would guess the scar was from some kind of predator.

The area you were referring to is where I got the walleye. River walleyes always impress me with their strength and stocky bodies. I have fished jigs and minnows there, but I usually stick to plastics for bass.

Yea, I like the challenge of the river Walleyes. Seems like I get more satifaction catching them out there than on a like. The fish in the pic was 23.5 in, my personal best river eye. I think next weekend should be even better. A week of stable cold weather and hopefully a rise in water level should get the eyes going. Its going to be a long wait.

Im suprised the water temp is much warmer down there. Just yesterday the temp was 43 and the fish just turned off.

Toby, there is a nuke plant in Monticello that puts off warm water. I am not sure what type of effect this has in my particular area, however you can fish open water throughtout the winter within 5-10 miles of the plant. Last Febuary I was catching fish jigging in the open water. I would get in about 2-3 casts and then have to warm my hands up, very cold but a nice change of pace from ice fishing wink.gif.

Matt,

I was on "the spot" yesterday (got off work early) and it was hot! The current velocity is up from last weekend, and I worked the current seams all along that shoreline. The stronger current has created a number of new areas to fish in that area. The bass were in or adjacent to deeper water and definitely avoiding the current. Jig and larger redtails were the bait of choice. The pick ups were as light as cold water walleye bites, you could barely feel the take sometimes. Water temp wars 49 degrees.

No pigs, (well, I did lose one at the boat) but excellent average size, all but one was at least 16 inches. No walleye today, but I did catch 3 pike, all about 20 to 24 inches.

Good luck if you go, Friday afternoon on the river is tough to beat.

Good to here Randy! I'll be out there tommorrow bright and early. I think five dozen Chubs is on the menue, I ran out with three dozen last Sunday. Will post report, and hopefully some good pics!

Matt T

Report from last Sunday-

It was a tough bite. Myself and another guy were out virtually all day. We caught a dozen smallies, biggest about 15in. All jigging with mminnows. At the end of the day we got a double header of some walleyes. p1010252mh5.jpg

The bigger one is 18in, caught by my buddie Pat "Pattytaps", was his first river Walleye. Both fish released.