• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Honda Passport

BlueBasser

Question

Hey guys looking for some information on Passports. I have done a ton of research and looked at a bunch of opinions on them. So i know they arent really made by Honda, and I have read good and bad reviews. My question would be for people who have had one... Just wondering if it is fairly decent vehicle. I am looking at a 98 Passport, selling for around 6000 dollars with 100,000 miles. I am just not sure if i should pull the trigger. The price is right and that is about all i have to spend, but i dont want to buy a headache. Thoughts????

14 answers to this question

I reluctantly allowed my wife to buy a used 97 model, and can say now that other than some minor nicle/dime stuff happening, its been a good vehicle. fair on mileaage too.

On the other hand, Im 6'3" 220lbs, I dont fit well at all unless the seat is all the way back and the back is reclined a bunch. also the radio/stereo sounds like a transistor radio. other than that, she likes it.

Don't Do It!! I believe these ar nothing more than a glorified Isuzu. As we all know there are many GM parts on the Isuzu and as we all know GM parts back then are not the most reliable parts. Back when these vehicles where only a couple of years old, I heard our customers complain more about them than praise them. The most dissapointed people where the ones that where loyal Honda owners who where excited to finally have a larger SUV option. Most of the complaints where annoyance related like rattles/clunks/squeaks, but there are a few that where ongoing machanical related problem.

Hope this helps!

Airjer

DON'T DO IT/ DON'T DO IT/ DON'T DO IT I had a 2000 and replaced the engine the transmission and the rear end and when I sold it the rear end was leaking fluid again. There is no way to check the tranny fluid easily because it is a sealed transmission. The engine is very quiet and does not give you the same audible cues you get with other engines and the (Contact Us Please) lights have a history of not working. If you go to a passport forum you will here nothing but stories like mine from people who have the same disapointments as I did. If you get sucked in to the 1st expensive repair (engine remanufactured 7 grand used 4 grand) you will feel obligated to ride it out with the next problem. Don't let the low cost suck you in to this purchase unless you have a lot of extra spare cash. If you want a Honda or japanese reliability you will have to pay for it. If you read the forums you will find out that there are some recurrent problems with the passport that Isuzu just did not or would not correct.

Be careful in buying that Passport. That 3.2 motor is notorious for bad rings and ticking valve problems. I had a Trooper which used the same motor. Like what Airjer said a lot of times sensors would break and I come to find that they were GM sensors. And the sensors broke often. They are asking 6000 for that truck, I looked at the value of that truck and it is only around 4000.

As luck would have it I was passed by an older Nissan Pathfinder on the way home from Cook today, It dawned on me that the Passport is the same as the Nissan Pathfinder not the Isuzu. Nissan is still not high on my list but not as low as the Isuzu. Still, DON'T DO IT!! grin.gif

Thanks guys for the information, thus far I have heard more negative than positive. Can anyone recommend a good used SUV for around 5 or 6 thousand??? Oh and airjer i think you were right the first time, it is an Isuzu made vehicle. The other cars I am looking at are 4Runner (EXPENSIVE) and Pathfinders (expensive)... thanks again for the input.

Be carefull with the older 4Runners. Toyota had problems with the head gaskets in the V-6's in I believe the early nineties. The issue has been resolved in the later model vehicles but something to keep in mind. The other vehicle I would stay away from is the S-10 Blazer/GMC Jimmy. Just to many problems to begin listing!

Quote:

As luck would have it I was passed by an older Nissan Pathfinder on the way home from Cook today, It dawned on me that the Passport is the same as the Nissan Pathfinder not the Isuzu. Nissan is still not high on my list but not as low as the Isuzu. Still,
DON'T DO IT!!
grin.gif

No Passport is the same as a Isuzu Rodeo. Nissan never had a alliance with Isuzu before. Nissan had a alliance with Ford through the Quest and Villager vans but never with Isuzu. Pathfinders are actually really tough trucks. I work at a Nissan dealership and I don't see many of the old Pathfinder trucks coming in for service, now the newer Nissans thats a different story. Passport=Rodeo with Honda badges. Like what everyone is saying stay away from this truck.

*not a personal attack*

Quote:

...I don't see many of the old Pathfinder trucks coming in for service...

That's assuming they aren't all in the junkyard (or worse), or there were a large number of them sold to begin with (100,000 vs 10,000,000 units). I don't see alot of them on the road, so they must be bad trucks (bad hypothesis). Just because a vehicle isn't coming in for service doesn't mean they are good. Not knocking Nissan; I drove a 89 Pickup for a few years until it got totalled, with no regrets and little service required. I'd stay away from the Passport; it is a rebadged Izuzu Rodeo and NOT up to many peoples Honda standards. That also goes to the Acura SRX(?), a optioned-up rebadged Passport.

I own a 2000 Isuzu Amigo, same engine and I believe tranny as the 98-2001 or 02 Rodeo/Passport. Here's a short list of mechanical issues I've had.

About once a year, maybe a hair less frequent, I get to have the intake manifold gasket replaced because they are prone to cracking. Talking to a few Isuzu mechanics, this is pretty common. Cost ranges from $170-500. My mechanic is lower, the dealer wants $475

The engine was replaced at 78,000 miles. It threw a bearing and I lucked out finding one with 18,000 miles for a tad less than $2000.

Another common issue is burning 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles.

The transmision leaks due to a faulty plug. Replaced that for $130.

The intermitent wipers don't work anymore due to faulty relays. The wipers won't self park, and the rear wiper has stopped working all together. Dealer wants $375 for a new PC board. I found a site with step by step instructions to replace just the relays for around $30, just need to do it. Another common problem.

Because of the skid plates, it's a mess changing the oil, even when they're removed. If you leave them on, you'll get a 4' dia. oil spill. Off, you'll be covered in road and grime and oil. from the plates.

So, there you have it. If the other raving reviews didn't swing you, hopefully this will. The truck has around 95k on it and if I could aford to, I'd sell it. Nice truck when the check engine light isn't on, though. grin.gif lol

Stay a way from the Passport I work for a local Honda dealership in the Parts Dept. The are Junk.

I was right the first time!! So many cars so little brain! grin.gif