• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I will be staying at a place on Farm Lake over MEA weekend (October 19, 20 & 21) with the wife and kids. I have already decided not to bring the boat, but could rent a boat while there. I have never fished this lake or chain before... will it be worth it to go out for a few 1/2 days? If so, any advice rergarding locations, time of day, and methods? Not looking for all of your secrets, maybe just one or two! wink.gif

Would I be better off looking for a rental on a different lake - or just shore fishing from a particular spot? Depending on the weather, I may have one or two kids with, probably the 11 and 6 year old... as long as its not too cold!

Thanks for any advice!!

That is a nice chain of lakes. I have never fished it during this time of the year. In the summer we have found bass and panfish up in the weeds. White Iron Lake on that chain can be good for walleye and northerns. White Iron has a lot of structure just print a copy of the lake map off of the DNR page. Yes it would be worth your time, and Silver Rapids should rent you a boat or there is a number of other resorts. If you have a lake master chip that chain will be on there. Good luck

Where on Farm are you staying??? We (family) have been staying up there during the Summer (July) for a week at TimberTrail Lodge for 7 years. We always do well on Walleyes. If, by any chance your'e staying there, Bill will show you on the map where this spot is. It is not that far out from the Lodge. I know for a fact they do very well in Oct. for Walleyes. There is a hump out there that tops off at 4 ft. and drops off into deeper water. Try 8-12 ft. Get out there and troll Shad Raps in different depths. Crayfish, and firetiger works well. Let me know how you do up there. smile.gif

Thanks Rodmaker,

Yep, we are staying with Bill. I will bring up the Cranks and ask him to point me in the right direction. Is that usually a day or night bite? I understand the water is stained on these lakes so maybe day is as good as night??

How is the rapids area near silver rapids lodge? Is that an area to hit?

Any other area lakes that would produce as well??

Thanks Rodmaker... I will let you know how the trip goes!

Woodland,

Have you stayed up at Timbertrail before???. If you can bring your boat. They have rentals available, but I don't know how many of you will will be fishing at one time. It's always nice to fish in your boat. Do you have electronics??The Public Access is awesome. Mention to Bill that I spoke with you,(Mark Pothen) and your'e all set.

As far as the bite, we caught them during the day, but I know they will be there during the eve bite also. We use to take 4 people out towards eve and use lighted bobbers in 6-8 ft and did very well. Do you have a lake map of Farm ?? If so, give me a call at work (651) 604-9540, and I'll give you some more spots to fish. Be prepared to catch som big Smallies also . I caught a monster 20" that went 5++. cool.gif Bill can show you the photos before it was released.Like I mentioned Crayfish color , firetiger, Gold/black work well!! It's rocky so be prepared to lose a few "cranks". You could also try some Husky Jerks (the same colors I mentioned). And anchor in 5 ft and cast them.

Good luck, and say hi to BIll and the Crew for me. Please get back to me and let me know how many "Eyes" you caught. grin.gif

Rodmaker.

Woodland,

Hope you and your family had a good trip. How was the fishing / Timbertrail Lodge??

Rodmaker. smile.gif

Rodmaker,

Nice advise to Woodland. We have been staying with Bill at Timbertrail also. Very nice family operation. Was wondering what your thoughts are on the Walleye slot limit?

love2fish1

Skip111,

How many years have you been staying up,there?? What time of the year do you go??? When we go, we end up going with my Sister-In Law and her family. I always have a full boat when we go out, so we slip bobber with leeches and small glow jigs and do very well. It's never a problem for a fish fry for 12 once a week, and a few meals to bring home for each family. cool.gif

This was the first year I tried trolling Cranks. I had a chance to get out by myself around 11:30 am. I trolled for an hour and caught 5 eyes and kept 2. I caught probably 15-20 Eyes my self trolling Shad Raps in 3 days. With the total fishing time probably around 4 hours. grin.gif Be prepared to lose some Raps, the rocks are hungry up there.

As far as the slot goes, I think it will take a few years to really notice. It will help definatly!!!! The biggest eye caught for us last year was 21" trolling. WE caught 3 that were 19". Most of the fish we caught last year were 14-17". Not to mention the "cigars" 8-12".

I know there are monsters in there also. Bill has mentioned that at this time of the year they catch 8-10 pounders trolling cranks. The biggest one we have caught up there has been 7 lbs 8 oz. It's kind of frustrating when you do catch a 19 or 20 and have to release it, especially when your'e use to catching the small guys. But keep some of those 13-15" for a meal. They're better eating anyway.

Have you caught any "monster Smallies"?? I've caught 2 in the last 3 years that have 20". The one this year was just a little over 20 1/4. It weighed an est. (using the formula) 5 lbs 7 oz. I'll end up getting a graphite made soon.

What's your opinion on the slot up there???

I know by setting the slot on Mille Lacs has done wonders over the years!!

Rodmaker

We ended up not fishing farm and fished Shagawa on Friday, in the snow. Only two walleye to show for freezing all afternoon. Saw lots of eagles and the scenery was beautiful with the snow falling!

Did Bill mention how the fishing was on Farm this Fall?? It's so peaceful and beautiful up there, I wish everyone who likes that kind of wildlife could experience it once.

Nope, they said that because of the weather, they took all boats and docks out. Certainly didn't seem to encourage the fishing.

• 3 months later...

Rodmaker,

Sorry it took so long to respond. Was out of commission for a while. We have been fishing White Iron/Farm/Garden every May for the last 12 years. Prior to that we were fishing Big Lake on the Trail. Last May was my best Walleye year ever on Farm. I credit it to a specific hot crank bait. My boat partner was frustrated with the action, so we shared my lure. Caught walleyes in the 4+ range, literally with each pass. My biggest was 27 inches. Wouldn't you know, they just introduced the slot limit that year. All of our action was in heavy current water. We stayed at Timbertrail.

Fishing Crane Lake this year with my two sons. Any tips?

Happy Fishing!!!

Skip111

Skip111

Hope all is well. Still trying to figure out if we can get up there again this year in July. Kind of hard with Baseball/ Final Tournaments.

Care to share the "Hot Crank" color you were using and depth???

I have never fished Crane, but I guess trolling cranks would work there also. They must see so much live bait combos, cranks may be the ticket.

Rodmaker,

The crank bait was sort of shaped like a flat fish. Yellow and orange was the hot color. Current was bringing it down to about 6 - 8 feet, near the bottom. Walleyes slammed it.

Keep in touch with your plans.

Happy fishing!

Skip111