• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Update

What's the word? Has the fishing gotten any better now that December is over? There must be some big girls starting to show up in the river? Water temp? Any current reports or info would be great. Thanks. wink.gif

I spoke with Kaz a bit ago and he was on the river this morning....Report was not so good. I am a believer in a somewhat stable barometer and we have'nt seen that this past week. Monday saw the barometer sitting quite high at 30.51, fell, fell, fell, and yesterday I saw a reading of 29.38. A movement like that and I'd bet everytime the bite would be a tough one for sure. Stable at 29.88 right now, if we can see a day or 3 of non bouncing barometer the bite WILL come around. Forgot to ask Kaz for a temp reading, we had 54-55 on Monday in the river, bet it's fallen quite a ways since then. Myself, ccmonsr, and a friend of his are hitting it bright and early tomorrow morning and if ccmonsr can't catch em no one can as he is the second luckiest fisherman I know!!!! Will post tomorrows findings good or bad either tomorrow late or early Monday.

fiskyknut

Thanks fisky, trying to decide whether to make a 4 hour drive to the river mid-week. Was hoping to hear water temps in the 40's, which may be the case after last week! Looking forward to your report.

Fisky: It got a lot better after we spoke!! Released a 28" and a 24", caught 11 for the three of us, stayed until dark at Wilson Creek. The first two days were lousy!! But late Saturday afternoon it turned around and we did OK... Now I'm ready for the ICE!!! Good luck Cabin Boy... Kaz

I was out with Fisky on Sunday. It was really slow. We only kept 3 for 3 guys. released 1 20" eye and probably 10 little guts. The water temp was around 44-45 degrees averywhere we went. Any day now and it should be good, hopefully.

I'll be up there the next 5 days and I'll put some time on the river inbetween bow hunting, grouse hunting and duck hunting. There never is enough time for it all but a 5 day weekend is a pretty good start. I'm hoping for some stable weather also. It looks like it could come later this week for a few days. I'll be in a red lund 1800 pro-v tiller so say hey.

Anybody get out on the river on Monday? Any reports? I am heading up for Friday and Saturday and hope to fish the river. I hope they are ready for me.

Five: We were up Grouse hunting when the wind was blowing so hard. Only one grouse south of Williams, but shot four Mallards in one of the ponds in the creek back there. I think the Grouse were hunkered down because of the wind and there was a lot of snow on the branches, so we couldn't see them very well. Lots of Aspen back there too, good for grouse.... Have fun... hope the weather is OK, it wasn't to good for us last weekend.... Bap, try up river by the Welson Creek, both sides. See my report this post..Kaz

Two of us went up thursday eve. (10/12)

Friday we fished the river only. Large waves, even in the river.

Weather conditions were cold and very windy.

Kept one walley.

Saturday weather was better, still somewhat windy.

Was able to fish the bay also.

Kept two walleye.

Sunday was beautiful !

Fished the river, bay and lake. lake was completly stirred up. looked like swamp water with a layer of green on top.

Kept four walleye, two northerns (one 27" one 43") and three nice perch.

Water temp was around 44. (down almost ten degrees from the weekend before)

Had a great time. Especially Sunday. What a beautiful day to be fishing.

Good luck,

Unc.

Thanks for the update Kaz. Our deer shack is south of Williams so I'll be looking for those greenheads.

Any new reports from this week? Just a guess, but maybe the fishing is so good and nobody wants to let the cat out of the bag? shocked.gif I hope so!

This darn wind just before freeze up again.. NOT a good sign.........sigh sigh.. Man I hope it settles down before hard water begins.

Just got back from a week up there. Monday and Tuesday not so good. Crappy and Windy !! Wednesday started to come around fishing started to pick up.(I never left the river, fished wind sock to corner across from Wheelers) Thursday was great on the corner, lot of fish in the am 16's - 19's, saw a few slot fish boated. Woke up this morning to snow covered boats, fished the am and caught about 8 fish, again good size (all the fish are fat with shiners right now)Left at 11:00am. All in all a pretty good week.

Pulled the boat up and back without dropping it into the water. I have to confess that we wussed out due to cold and snow. We stayed very busy grouse hunting, bow hunting, and general deer scouting. I did not get a deer but the kids of our group ended up with about a dozen grouse. I myself had several flushes but no shots. It was a very fun weekend.

6 of us went out on Friday and it was pretty good. We ended up catching maybe 120-150 fish. The only big fish of the day was a 51" sturgeon. Went out again on Sunday, not nearly as good. 10 kept with 10 little throw backs, 1 23.5" released.

I was on the River Thursday the 19th through Saturday the 21st. We fished from Vidas to Frontier on Thursday with little success. Marked lots of fish, but struggled to get them to bite. On Friday we fished out of Wheelers point and did very well in the a.m. The bite slowed in the p.m. but still did O.K. We caught most down by the airport in the p.m. On Saturday our bite died at Wheelers so we went to Frontier. Did very well at Frontier on Saturday.

The report I got from talking to folks was the fishing was extremely good at Birchdale on October 19 and 20th, and tough all over on the 21st. Look for the deepest holes in the area and start there. River fishing...my favorite time of year but it can be here today, gone tomorrow, especially with the unstable conditions we've been facing.

We were up at River bend resort on 20-22. Fishing not good and either was the weather. Lots of shiners. My eldest boated a 23 incher and the middle son a 15 incher. Is this time a year normally a good time to go up or should i go up earlier?

Well, I've fished both early in Oct., and Late, If you want Numbers of fish, early Oct. is good, Out in front of the gap, in the main lake, or over by the morris Pt. Gap, for nicer fish, we'd try out on the lake first, but always went down toward Birchdale, and always did better, on size esspecially, and most days size and numbers, Lake early Oct., further down river, late Oct. Hope that helps, The Bumble

Sachem,

You were there at the right time. Even at prime time its

still not a gimme. Weather can shut everything down for a

day and make it miserable to fish.

Read the post above about the group that caught fish up

river one day and near the lake the next and then nothing

at both places. These fish are on the move and you can

either wait for them or hunt them down. Somedays either

may work, some other days neither might work.

I always go to the lake first. The Morris Point Gap is

very good. There is something about 14 feet deep and the

MPG that holds fish most of the year. The lake is more

consistant that the river, it doesnt have as many of those

shut downs.

We have a group going to Riverbend this weekend. I will

post about it early next week.

Yepper Sandee in my book it kicked into high gear this week. After that big 4 day blow couple weeks back put the kabosh on the hot bite out on the pond we started hitting the river with mixed results.. 1 day good, next time same spots slow. This week it seemed to all come together and we had great fishing 3 days in a row on the same river spots. Good reports coming from up and down the river this week for sure.

fiskyknut

I was up with four guys Saturday afternonn and Sunday morning. Saturday was ok for the few hours we fished, but yesterday morning was one of those days. Four of us were out by the Gap, and we were throwing fish back within an hour and a half. Nothing in the slot, but the action kept up until about 10:30 or so. We headed in about 11, cleaned our catch, and headed for home after one of the better weekend trips I've had. This was the first time we decided to hunt some pheasants over at Truman's Game Farm on the way up fishing, so that's what we did Saturday morning, fish in the afternoon, a nice cabin with a few beverages and cards at Borderview Lodge, outstanding fishing Sunday morning, and home just after halftime of the early NFL games. It can't get much better than that. Good luck on the water and in the woods. WJ

Hi Jon,

I am such an (Contact Us Please). Right after we left the Gap I realized

who it must have been in that Alumacraft. I saw lots of

guys in insulated camo this weekend. I watched you guys

hauling in fish pretty fast.

Sunday morning we needed only one fish, but a friend of

mine showed up early so that gave us 5 more to get. We

fished the Gap Friday afternoon, most of the day Saturday

and Sunday morning. We just stayed choosy and one short

of the limit until we decided to quit for the day.

Hopefully at least one more trip in two weeks, but if its

all over now it was a good way to end open water fishing.

Cat Man Lee boated a 27 incher first fish of the day

Saturday. We had a 23 and 20, all others were potential

keepers.

WOW!

Yes Sir,that was us. Experience tells me that from now until ice up, the fishing should be outstanding. This latest round of weather should trigger the big females to really start feeding in earnest. If any of you has the time, this is arguably the best few weeks of the year to catch not only numbers of fish, but numbers of big fish. If you're coming up this way to deer camp, bring a boat and spend a day or two on the water, you'll kick yourself for not doing it years ago. Good luck, stay warm, and be safe. WJ

Hey Jon,

Who were all those people in the boat with you?

The boat belongs to my buddy Brian, who you met at the summer get together in Warroad a couple years ago, and you know the other two guys, Chad Peters and his son Cody. My fishing partner Mike was also up with us, but he had to leave Sunday morning to catch a flight for work.