Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Fishing Report Clubs - LIMITED MEMBERSHIP - Join Today - FREE   01/24/2018

Fishing Minnesota had added a new menu item (see above) called Fishing Report Clubs. It's a way to keep the really good fishing reports coming and being shared only with those who also provide detailed fishing reports. We will only approve new members who request to join if they have already posted a recent fishing report in the area forum, associated with the Fishing Report Club area  you want to join. We are going to limit the number of regular memberships, in the Fishing Report Clubs, to the top 20  members in each Club, to those with the best frequency and quality fishing reports provided in the club and less so in the regular fishing report forum open to all members. The higher quality fishing report reserved for the club of course. If  you want fishing reports  around your area, I would Join Now, some of the clubs are starting to fill fast. Use the Fishing Reports Club link in the Menu above (after you've posted a fishing report in the regular area forum) and request to Join.
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
chucker34

Sighting in Shotgun

chucker34

Hello,

Bow season has been slow so far so I think I might partake in the firearms season this year as well. I was thinking about it anyways.

I haven't shot a slug for two years now and wanted to shoot a box to make sure I am sighted in and have the feel for it. I have a remington 870 with the rifled barrell and will be shooting shots pretty much 50 yards and under. Hunting in thick woods that don't present much longer shots.

My questions are (a) what are the regs or where can I find the regs about sighting in? I seem to remember time restrictions on doing so - even on private land and (B) where do you sight in? On the land you'll be hunting? Do you feel half a dozen shots or so in the middle of the day is enough to scare them off for the season?

I appreciate the responses. Thanks.

lawdog

Look in the hunting synopsis there is stuff about the day before and after season if I remember right...

I would never shoot where I'll be hunting.

chucker34

Aha. Thanks, I found it. You can't posess a firearm or ammunition of any type outdoors in any area where you could legally take a deer from 5 days before season until 2 days after season.

And I had pretty much ruled out sighting in where I hunt just that I hear gun shots nearby all year long on adjoining land and wondered how many actually tried practicing on their own hunting land.

Powerstroke

There are no rules as to sighting in on your own property. There are rules in almost all state lands prohibiting indiscriminate shooting. Sighting in is usually not allowed.

chucker34

I was wondering more about sighting in on private land within a certain time in relations to the firearms opener. Page 25 of the reg book says I can sight in on private land only if its at least six days before the firearms opener or if I am using an "authorized target range" on private land.

See the reg section below:

Possession of Firearms Before, During, and

After the Firearms Deer Season

(Note: This section does not apply to the Muzzleloader Season, see page 86, except that muzzleloaders legal for deer may be possessed only by persons with a muzzleloader or all-season deer license during that season.)

No person may possess a firearm or ammunition outdoors during the period beginning the fifth day before the open firearms season and ending the second day after the close of the season within an area where deer may be legally taken by firearms (see page 32), except:

• A person who has a valid firearms big game license in possession may hunt big game during the open season with a firearm and ammunition authorized for big game.

• Possession is also legal under these conditions:

a) An unloaded firearm that is in a case or in a closed trunk of a motor vehicle.

B) A shotgun and shells containing No. 4 buckshot or smaller

diameter lead shot or nontoxic shot.

c) A .22 caliber rimfire handgun or rifle with .22 caliber short, long, or long rifle cartridges.

d) Handguns possessed by a person with a carry permit.

e) On an authorized target range.

BLACKJACK

Quote:

No person may possess a firearm or ammunition outdoors during the period beginning the fifth day before the open firearms season and ending the second day after the close of the season within an area where deer may be legally taken by firearms

Sit out on your deck or in your deer stand (bowhunting) the Friday evening before gun season, you'll hear guns getting sighted in all over the coutryside.

bigbucks

I wouldn't worry about sighting in on the property you hunt on. I probably wouldn't do it from my stand the week before season, but if it was in the middle of the day & it was on a field edge it would be fine. We've sighted in shotguns with in plain sight of three of our deer stands for as long as I can remember & deer cross that field within 100 yards of that target, during season, every single year.

The year I bought my muzzleloader, I sighted it in from about 3-4pm on one end of a field & sat in a stand on the other end of the field, approximately 400 yards away. Within an hour I was looking at a nice doe piled up in the same field.