Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jps

dog whistles

8 posts in this topic

I never see anything posted about dog whistles. Should they be used? If so, what kind of whistle? I recently brought a 4 year old lab home from the humane society. Guess I just wanted to have a dog around. She seems to be a very nice dog. No info from previous owner of course. Seems I can tell she knows what a leash is. Loves to play "fetch"! We still live in the country, so have lots of room but our house is close to road.Plan on an inground fence to keep her off of road. Problems is when I take her for a walk she gets far away and doesn't always hear me call her back. Will a whistle help? Sorry for rambling. Guess I'm just excited to have a nice dog. Thanks for any help! jps

Congrats on the dog.

We use just a plain old whistle that you could buy anywhere. It works great.

Thanks for the reply!!! jps

Whistles will only work if the dog has been trained to know what the whistle means. Lots of hunters use them because like you've found, voic ecommands can get lost on the wind or on long distances. SOunds like your dog may have selective hearing too.

They can work, but only if the dog knows what is expected of them when you blow.

Okay-this is going to be easy. Soon as possible buy a whistle-just a good loud "dog" whistle. Now, you say the dogs likes to play fetch? Toss a dummy or whatever and as soon as the dog starts back toward you blow three or four quick blasts on the whistle. Very quickly he will associate the whistle with returnng to you. I'll bet he also knows the "sit" command. Tell him to sit an blow one blast on the whistle. Make him stay sitting until you release him. This is all totally basic stuff for somebody new to dogs and training and whistles, but I'll bet if you do these few things you can get him under control and you'll both be happy! Good luck and be sure to give your new pal lots of attention.

Whistle combined with hand signals is awesome. I have a 16 wk old that responds to either, or the voice, just as Ufatz mentioned above. I know I have a ways to go, but glad I am on the right path...following Wolters-Waterdog vid. Now with me having a new pup (for the first time - Black Lab), I think I have read almost every single thread, or what it seams, just to hear some "REAL" advise on peoples experiances. Much more than what any book or vid could provide. Thanks all

Hey there 24/7, sounds like you have a great pup there. A time is coming though when he won't be quite so perfect, so be prepared!! He is awfully young yet. Go slow now and you'll end up with a great dog. Best of luck with your new pal.

Thanks for the help, guys! jps