Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
New Yankee

Steel Shot in a 50's gun?

New Yankee    0
New Yankee

I have my fathers mid fifties vintage Ithaca 37 with a full choke. Should I feed it steel? My guess is that steel would cause a bit more barrel wear, but not be an issue other than that - am I thinking straight?

lawdog    0
lawdog

Those old full chokes are really tight. I wouldn't advise of it. I've heard horror stories about bulging a barrel with steel shot. I've never seen it, but I wouldn't risk it out of an old full barrel. You could either get a different barrel or possibly have a gun smith bore that out to modified to shoot steel through.

I just wouldn't risk the gun or your safety.

New Yankee    0
New Yankee

Law - was kind of afraid that may be the case - this one is tight as you mention - 30" barrel as well. I'll leave it home. I can imagine a bulge and wouldn't forgive myself for it just because it's a lighter carry than my 1100.

Thanks for the quick reply - I think you're right on.

Rost    0
Rost

Take it to Gary's or Scheels and they'll bore the barrel out to a mod choke for around $50.

icehousebob    0
icehousebob

Even if you get the choke opened up, steel shot will erode the barrel. If you want to use it for waterfowl, use Bismuth shot instead of steel. You also might try to see whether you can pick up a newer barrel that is modern steel to handle the steel shot. I have a Remington 870 of the same vintage that I only use with lead shot and I use my newer ones for steel.

New Yankee    0
New Yankee

Good tips Rost and Bob, I'd kinda like to keep the choke/gun original. although it's a field grade 37, it has more value to me. Never thought about Bismouth, I'll check my wallet blush.gif

Barrels are a tougher deal - up until the late 50's or early 60's (s/n before 855,000) each of the barrels had to be fit to the receiver individually, and the barrel thread may be different as well.

I think the bismouth is a grand idea for as much as I'll be in steel situations with it.

Thanks!