Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
croixeyes

A Tail Of Two Rivers

4 posts in this topic

Well guys,the winds of change are a blowin.Im sure many of you are thinkin about hittin the water hard this weekend,and if I didnt have pressing family issues,Id be doing the same.Anyway a couple of things to think about this weekend while your out plying the waters.In fall,my favorite water temp is from 41 to 48 degrees,this is when I find fish starting to stack up on classic structure,points and sharp breaks.Of course,current can play a big roll in fish location on these areas.Two kinds of current on the river,natural down stream flow and wind driven.With the low water right now,wind driven might be more important with the exception of the narrows of the Kinni and the Hudson channel and Prescott.

As far as this weekends water temps think about this.The temps on the Croix may be alot different if you fish from the high bridge to the highline,compared to the area of the highline to Prescott.I think its safe to say there may be a four degree difference in temps between these areas.Well, breakout the jiggin and riggin rods,grab some fatheads or redtails or bladebaits and crankbaits and givem he#$% this weekend,im jealous frown.giffrown.gifbut there is always next weekend smile.gifsmile.gif..Good luck out there....Side note to Tunrevir,if you get out upriver this weeknd shoot me a note on the water temp.Thankssssss

I am all over it on Saturday morning. I have my jig rods ready, the rig rod set to go and a rod with some cranks ready to take on the action. I was out there this last week on Friday night and had an absolute blast from 5:30 till dark with the panfish and smallies. I do not recall the temp this past week but I'm sure that the temps will be in the low 50's to high forties by the weekend. Can't hardly wait. I may have to even break out the plastics. If last week was any indication, even the sunfish were nailing crappie minnows on a 1/16th oz feather jig! I'm taking the weekend off from the woods due to the early doe season so I am looking foreward to the fishing. If all goes well then I'll fish Sunday evening as well if I can get the kitchen pass from the misses. Good luck to all this weekend! I'll report back after saturday. The eyes should start to stack up like you said if the temps are right.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Croyeyes,

Nice post and good point about the water temp differnece. It's good to know the whole river to take part in the differences in temp, water clarity, and baitfish.

croixeyes, Upriver temps were 41.3 early a.m. and 42 later in the day. Panfish bite was off a bit due to the temps but the smallies kept us busy today with enough crappies to make it interesting.

Tunrevir~