Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salger2k

atv winch install

7 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 Honda Foreman ES. I would like to install a warn winch on it. Dealer said it would cost $175 in labor + cost of the winch... I don't consider myself cheap, but getting the wife to let me buy just the winch will be a big job.

I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I'm surely not a professional mechanic. Is there anything I should be aware of, or afraid of, before I roll up the sleeves and take this on by myself? If I buy winch and mount kit from Cabelas will the included directions get me through? What about wiring it?

Thank you for sharing your expertise!!

The mount kits are designed for specific models and utilize existing bolt patterns. You should be able to do it yourself.

Thanks Ron!

How about the wiring? Does it just get run back and hook directly to the battery? This is probably where I am most cautious - I would hate to screw up any of the electrical.

I did it on my 2004 Foreman. Easy to do. Follow the directions and take your time. Secure all connections and cable tie all the wires very carefully and out of the way of heat and moving parts.

I installed one on my 500 Sportsman 6-Wheeler. Everything bolted right on. You might have to remove some things in front but no problem. As far as the wireing, the wires from to winch run to a switch (usualy mounted on your handle bars) Then from the switch back and down to your battery.

Just take your time and it will go smooth.

Freckles

What they said.

Thanks Guys! This is why I love this forum...

I appreciate all of your input. I'll go ahead with it now that I have a little reassurance (wife permitting, of course wink.gif)