Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Whales

Lake Placid/Crow Wing River

5 posts in this topic

A friend of mine has a place on the Crow Wing River near Pillager and Lake Placid, we are going up for some fishing next weekend. Never been there, any suggestions for walleyes? Just looking for general info to get us pointed in the right direction, the rest I can figure out. Thanks!!

Quote:

A friend of mine has a place on the Crow Wing River near Pillager and Lake Placid, we are going up for some fishing next weekend. Never been there, any suggestions for walleyes? Just looking for general info to get us pointed in the right direction, the rest I can figure out. Thanks!!

From the handful of times I've fished Placcid I've found that the flow of the Dam make a huge factor in what's going on... In a drought when the water is held up, walleye numbers are decent... When the Dam is open... It's a bountiful land of suckers and carp.

Essentially all you can do is find the old river valleye and troll the heck out of it with your loudest flashiest rap.

Beware the wilder side of the river (The side opposite the Landing) as it rockets up from 18 feet to 4 feet in the span of about 10 feet.

Also you have to keep an eagle eye out for deadheads, as it still is a river afterall...

Some A-hole upstream put some brush in the river, and it floated down as a slog to snaggle up into my prop...

Something else to watch out for is that the launch has taken some erosion on... And after the last concrete tie there is a massive drop off, whatever you do DO NOT let the wheels of the Trailer go past that last concrete tie, or YOU WILL be going into the water up to your neck to pull your trailer out, as it will snag up into the trailer frame.

All told Placcid is a hit or miss type of River Resevoir that can turn up some really nice Pike action... Just watch out for it's little quirks, and fish it like any other res...

Hey thanks for the info DWW....especially the boat landing part!! That could have been ugly. What about the river itself? I was thinking I would get some redtails and jig the river too hoping some fish might move up into it in the fall? Is it worth trying?

Well I hate river fishing for it's unpredictability, and with a new boat I wasn't going to risk my skeg on unknown rocks... So I never went far enough up stream to really give a good testimony...

There's a sand bar almost straight out from the landing that has a drop off... Good Crappie Action... But beware the drop off is caused by the dam's Draw down... So if you hear anything that sounds like the warning bell, you pull anchor and boot just to be safe!

Otherwise your best bet is just to troll up the weedlines... If you troll the Landing side Shore line long enough, you eventually come to an area where a small creek empties into the Resevoir... All sorts of stuff piles up there in the summer, and Spring... but I don't know about Fall...

Just wherever you go, always keep an eye on your depth gauge... There are some spontaneous shallows in places... So don't just put the hammer down until you feel familiar with the place.

Thanks again for the info.