Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Borch

Mercury not charging batteries.

11 posts in this topic

My 91 60 HP mercury is no longer charging the batteries. I'm having a tough time figuring it out. Any ideas to the likely culprit?

Rectifier.....

A likely culprit is usually hooking up the cables backward. They don't seem to like that.

It is usually a small puck shaped object. Easy to replace.

A good way to test your charging system is to put a meter on your battery when not running and then with it running. You should see a jump in voltage. I want to say off hand somewhere around 13 volts when running.

In checking the mercury parts list I'm not seeing anything called a rectifier listed. confused.gif Anything else they might call it?

What's the serial and model number Borch ?

I bet your tach also does not work. same thing happened to me. It needs a new part but i cannot remember what it is called. call a merc dealer and they should be able to get you a new one

Quote:

What's the serial and model number Borch ?

Serial OD195670

That's interesting, Mercury Parts Express doesn't give any info on it, here's picture, we are talking component # 39 and # 16 which says N.A. (not available).

You might have to check with a dealer, they might be able to find it for you, it's an easy installation.

15_500.gif

Based on the description I wondered if that wasn't the part in the drawing. I ran into this before when I had a relay switch go bad for my tilt and trim motor. I had to take a digital photo and email it to mercury as the dealers couldn't figure it out. Mercury had just totally changed their design on it.

Thanks for the help guys.

My 01 90hp Merc was not charging, it was the voltage regulator.

BAM site calls out voltage regulator as part number 883072T and price is $127.92 and rectifier 816770T(old design)$37.92. Does the Tach work? If not chances are it is the regulator or the rectifier.

another thing to consider when you replace the regulator is to make sure your battery is in good condition. If it is in poor shape, it can pop your spanking new regulator. Even a state of severe discharge on a good battery can pop it. They are designed to provide a "trickle charge" and not much more.