• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wheel bearing on truck

Freckles

Question

I have a 2001 F250 Super Duty. It now has 50,000 miles on it. I know that is low for the year but I don't drive it all the time because the cost of Diesel fuel. Any way when I had 42,000 miles on it the right rear wheel bearing went out at a cost of $285.00 to fix , Now at 50,000 miles it is going out again. doe's anyone out there know what could causing this? I have had other trucks with over 100,000 mile on and never had to replace rear wheel bearings.

Freckles

13 answers to this question

did it kinda go click click click as you drove - that is the sound I am heaing from the rear end of my truck - F-150 2001

Yes it would click, snap,and sometimes it sounded like I was fliping up a peice of metal. Also it shakes when I hit 50 MPH.

fRECKLES

Thanks - must be whats wrong with mine - but I have a little over 150,000 - sorry you are having so many troubles

Sometimes when a rear baearing goes out, it scars up the axle. If they dont put in a "repair" bearing in those cases, it can cause premature failure of the new bearing.

A repear bearing simply rides on a undamaged portion of the axle.

You don't by chance have a locker rear end do you? If you are hearing the clicking and snapping in a corner and you have a locker I'd say it's the locker making normal noises.

The F-250 SD has a full floating rear axle, they do not make a "repair bearing" for them. It is not likely that the wheel brg has failed again, if it has it was caused by something during repair, improper torque etc. these use a ratcheting type of retaining nut on the bearing and require a special socket to adjust torque and preload. If you hear it around corners and it is a locking rear end, this is not normal, the clutch pack in the diff is bad, when its right there should be no chatter, binding or noise. I would return to where the bearing was replaced and have them ride with you and get diagnosis of the concern. I've seen a few of these bearings go and eat the spindle on the axle housing, that housing costs alot of money (>$2000) so don't wait on it. Have it checked out and once you know what the problem is you can determine your options.

Sounds like it is in the diff to me also. Bearings will usually make a howling noise and will usually get louder or quieter depending on which way you turn (say you start to hear it around 40 mph, if you turn slightly to the left and it gets louder its the right side bearing). I would bet that the noise went away after the first bearing was replaced because of the new fluid that was added. Just a theory!

I pulled the right rear axle out last night and bearings fell out. So I either have something wrong or the mechanic screwed up installing the last one. I borrowed the tool to remove the racheting nut that holds the bearing on , but when I try to turn the nut, the tool just slip out of the notchs. I guess I will try again tonight. I just ran out of time last night.

Freckles

the clicking noise in the back end of mine was the emergency brake - I just had them remove it as I never use it.

Well heres an update on my truck. It has a bent diff. tube. I found a complete rear end for at for $1330.00. Installed it last weekend. Run and sounds like a champ again.

Freckles

That is really unusual, was this truck ever involved in an accident that you are aware of? If not, I wonder how this could have happened, high speed off roading, frequent major air, do you just have regular seat belts or a 5 point harness? Just kidding, I'm happy you were able to find a good used rearend and the price sure sounds right.

Yes, it was a roll-over. I bought it from a salvage and repairable lot two years ago.

Freckles