Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wdgold

Kettle River Fishing

2 posts in this topic

Any good fishing this time of year on the Kettle river near banning state park. Any technique ideas. Thanks

I grew up on the kettle outside of sandstone. As a rule of thumb the walleye bite is best in the fall when the popple trees are turning colors until they were gone. Then it tends to slow down. The kettle has many walleyes in it mostly in the 15-17inch range. If you are by banning use the hwy 23 boat landing and go up stream about 3/4s of a mile where you will find some minor rapids. Use small 1/16 to 1/8 inch jigs tipped with minnows. For what ever reason I,ve always had better luck with nuetral colors, black or gray. This area of the river is excellent in the spring also. In the park you can jig off shore using the same methods. For your info a GREAT 2 day paddle is from rutledge to Banning jigging all the way. At the right times of the year I've had 50 fish days. There is a great campsite on a old logging dam/stagecoach crossing site just upstream from the I-35 bridges (far enough so the rapids drown out any noise) this is an excellent spot to fish also. Hope this helps. Good Luck.