Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hemlock

Algae/Scum Removal off of Fiberglass and Aluminum

10 posts in this topic

Couldn't find any recent posts on this. I am wondering what takes algae off of a boat that has been in the water for many months. Both Fiberglass and Aluminum recommendation welcome, thanks.

I own a car wash and the ol' pressure washer doesn't cut it. Tire and engine cleaner sitting on it for 15 minutes doesn't do much good either.

Vinager. You may have to let it sit on there for a little bit and put a little elbow grease into it, but from what I have seen it will take it off.

Simple green. Some of the greatest stuff ever.

On the fiberglass it may have stained, if the growth has come off and the color remains you will have limited sucess with one of two products I have used, one is called Zing, it's active ingredient is hydrochloric acid so dont get it on metal or the trailer. This product is also available for aluminum boats but I have no experience with it, my aluminum hull has anti fouling paint on it. The other product is called Krazy Clean and has worked quite well and is safe for all surfaces. The cheapest place to buy it is from Defender daht kahm. These stains can be very stubborn, I wish you luck.

"The Works" Toilet Cleaner 1.99

Spray on, let soak 5 minutes, scrub off. Admire the shine.

Works magically!

The Works is the best, cheapest and does the job good.

It is stained for the most part....you know the Lake of the Woods stain, you've all seen it.

The algae comes off nicely with pressure washer. So are you guys saying the Works does work on the stain itself? Do you put it on with a brush?

Just use your own spray bottle, and buy the one in the regular bottle not the spray (if it makes sense).

I purchased a bottle of "the works" and the label

says "do not use on aluminum or painted surfaces" I tried a small spot by the transom and didnt see any damage to the paint. I am still a little hesitant to clean the entire boat with it. Do you guys use it straight up or dilute it?

I have had sucess with vinager but a little elbow grease is required.

I use it straight, if you dilute it you loose the strenght.