Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DRH1175

Early firarms doe season

14 posts in this topic

I hunt in 225 and have the early doe season this weekend. Even though I like my bowhunting. I will take a week off to help thin some does out with my rifle. I was wondering if anyone else participates and what are all the feelings about it. I do think the oppourtunity to fill the freezer is good. As is another chance to take a few does.

This season runs right up where i go to school in Crookston Mn and im all for it. Lots of deer to be shot, i will be out of town pheasant hunting this weekend so good luck to all who participate and be safe.

A Shae

I really would like to pheasant hunt. However I feel it is my job to work on some of those does. You never know it may add to my buck chances later this month too.

I'd love to do it, but it's too far from home. Can bow hunt around home cheaper & get in less trouble, not gone all weekend, so not doing it.

I'm way up in 257 and will be on my way up after work tomorrow. It's a long drive for 2 days of does only but oh well. Any chance I get to shut off the cell phone and sit in a stand for 2 days I will take.

Gotta thin out those does!!!

DR,

I will be in area 225 as well. Where in 225 are you going to be at?

I will be set up just south of Hiway 70 on public land. This will be my first time hunting this area. The deer trails look good, but I did not see any deer during the scout.

Just north of Almelund which is off of 95 between taylors falls and northbranch. It is at my Father in laws cousins farm. We hunt here everyyear. South of 70 has plenty of deer as well. I do a lot of grouse hunting in that area and have seen a lot of deer sign this year as normal.

DR,

Need a hand getting rid of 2 more does? wink.gif

Do you have two brown dogs? Might have seen you.

Well not much this weekend. Heard one snorting on the way in and saw one saturday evening about 300 yards out too far for me to try. All in all waste of time! Wish I would have spent the weekend with my Golden instead chasing roosters!!

Same situation here: it was a waste of time. The fields and woods were deader than the Dead Sea. Should have gone pheasant hunting instead.

Saturday morning, it was still 6:20am, not legal shooting time, we heard dogs barking from the road. We were not just setting up our climbers. We were over half a mile into the woods. 6:45am, still not legal shooting hour, guy with dog showed up by the brother-in-law. Holy Smokes!!! What was this grouse hunter thinking: putting the early surprise on the grouse? Dude could have waited until legal shooting hour before pounding the thickets. Now, suppose he and the dog were to chase a doe my way. Do I shoot it or do I just let it go knowing that my hunt is over? Of-course I will let it go; it ain't legal yet.

I don't mind sharing the woods, but a grouse hunter with dog pounding the thickets before legal shooting hour really makes me think twice about the hunter's brain functions. It was still too dark to make out the blaze orange when he went in. What if a deer hunter is sitting in a treestand on his way in and his dog kicks up a grouse in the deer hunter's direction?

What did we do? We gave it a little time then headed back to the truck and took out the shotguns and BB's. We massacred the local area's grouse and woodcocks.

grin.gifgrin.gif

I took this early season as a time to take my 13 yr old daughter for her first deer hunt (she got her certificate on the 5th). She said she wanted to go, I bought her a gun, got her to the range, etc. Had her dressed from head to toes in orange and even bought a buddy stand so we can enjoy it for many years.

Sat morning, we went out and got in the stand (but not after I fell in some mud and got wet almost to my waist) way before light. She heard a deer walk to her left but could not see it. At shooting time, I heard something and turned around to find 2 does standing where I fell in the mud (scent control works!). She could not get a good shot, so she asked me to shoot one of them - must have been the shivers from being wet, but I missed. Shortly after, we left so I could warm up and she could get some sleep.

I thought about it and decided to try again on Sunday afternoon. After about being the stand for about 20 minutes, I saw one about 70 yards out and my daughter did too. I was thinking - 'this is her shot - first deer!' - but she did not want to take the shot. Not because she was afraid, but because she did not feel she had the best angle and was not totally comfortable with the shot. She asked me to shoot it and I got this one. We went over and started preparing it for the next task.

Not once did she act disgusted or try to run away. She also reminded me of the tagging regulations and how she was told to remove the entrails in class. I was so proud of her!! Although she did not shoot the deer, she exhibited the most grown up attitude and judgement of most people I know that hunt.

She is ready for normal season and maybe she will get that big buck. If so, we will have to see how her mother feels about having a mount in her room!

Sorry I'm a bonehead, had the youth deer hunt in my brain, forget about what I posted. Really, I've never done drugs.

Ummmm...anyone can hunt early doe season. If they both had early doe season tags either of them could take the deer. Early doe season is NOT a youth hunt. Hope this helps clarify.

Take care!

Ice Fritz,

YOu had a good weekend that is good to see. Your daughter will be hooked for life. She seems like she really enjoyed it and very mature. I agree sounds like she is 100 times more mature than the average deer hunter these days!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• easyrider25

Posted

Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?

• On 9/24/2016 at 3:30 PM, ZachD said:

she's getting big

She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 

1 person likes this
    • delcecchi

Posted

Maybe that is how they can stay in business 

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/25/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/26/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• perry p

Posted (edited)

Thanks Workin, Bart and especially Jim for the replies. My family really enjoys fishing on Clearwater lake.

Edited by perry p
      Misspell
    • muskie-mike

Posted

Good walleye bite on leadcore..40 walleyes in 25-28 ft of water,mid lake..None over 16 inches...

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

First time up in Brainerd in 3 years. Went to big trout on Friday, thinking it would be a guarantee (which it usually is). Nope! Not even the rock bass were hitting! Only ended up with a couple pike and a couple largemouths. The inspector at the boat launch was showing me some pics of a couple lake trout this one guy had caught a few days earlier, a 34 and 36 incher! Saturday we were going to fish gull, but it was jam packed with people! Was there a tournament going on? Ended up at a secret little lake where my wife caught bass and pike one right after the other, while I couldn't get a bite to save my life! Was good to be back up there after a 3 year absence. Hopefully I'll find the time to get up there again.

• Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

Very nice walleye no matter how the picture came out! Do not see many of those each year!

We ended up keeping 9 walleyes and releasing 3 slot fish between 19" and 23".

Cliff

• LBerquist

Posted

Here's the proof of the 28" I told you about today cliff. Unfortunately this picture doesn't make this fish out to be nearly as impressive as she was in person. I'm gonna need to work on my selfie skills.

20160925_104541.jpg

2 people like this

• easyrider25
      Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?
    • MattL
      She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 
    • delcecchi
      Maybe that is how they can stay in business 
    • flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/25/16   Happy Fall!   On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.   Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.   The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!   Until next week, good luck fishing! Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau   Flag Island Resort 218-223-8011  
    • flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/26/16   Happy Fall!   On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.   Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.   The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!   Until next week, good luck fishing! Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau   Flag Island Resort 218-223-8011