Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zaraspooks

Re-pack Bearings

11 posts in this topic

I've had some problems in the past with trailer bearings. Do you guys recommend re-packing every year, every other year, or when???? I think doing them in the fall would be the best time. Just wondering what every one else thinks.

I pop the covers a couple times per year (or before a particularly long journey) and repack as necessary.

I have tried going a couple years between repacking and it has usually cost me a bearing. I used the bearing budddies and keep them full of grease, but the problem is after a period of time the seals fail and then you get some water or worse dirt in there and I am sure you can guess the rest of that story.

So I would say pull it apart and repack at least every other year.

At least every other year. I do mine in the fall so its ready to go in the spring!

And don't forget to change those rear seals, cheap insurance against bearing failure.

This comes up every year about this time .I feel all bearing failures starts when your trailer sits for a long period of time if there is any moisture at all the bearings and races will get small pits and over time they will fail good water resistant grease and bearing buddies will not do any good when your trailer doesn't move for a long time . Best advice i can give anybody is to repack your bearings and replace seals everytime right before you store your boats . I have been pulling boats for over 30 years I have never replaced a bearing had any problems ever . I have seen alot of people at wayside rest feeing there bearings and a few fryed bearings people always tell me I have bearing buddies. Best advice i can give anybody .

Thanks for the replys. Re-packed the bearings last night. Only took about and hour (and six beers).

Good call. Its like a lot of maintenance things, you'll never hurt anything by packing new grease in those bearings, but you sure might if you skip it!

Only 2nd guessing myself.... will someone please post the correct process of packing a bearing or direct me to an official site.... PLEASE. No problems in 30+ years so I must be doing something right. Thanks

sal

After I re-pack my bearings, before I put it away for the winter, I like to put the trailer up on blocks. Maybe I'm just being anal but I think that helps both the bearings and the tires. 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

1DIRTBALL, I put my trailer on stands, some for the tires off the concrete, but also to give the suspension a "rest". And I've still got plenty of bounce grin.gif!! Even after ALL these years!! Phred52