• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Valv - Peachtree question....

LwnmwnMan2

Question

Just wondering if you (or anyone else running Peachtree Accounting on a peer-to-peer network) have issues with "Peachtree not being able to detect data path".

I've got in installed on my desktop and my laptop, now I'm getting that error message.

I can access the files from the laptop if I go to My Computer and bring up the mapped drive, but I cannot run the program from the laptop.

I talked with Peachtree about it, but they were saying it's a connectivity issue.

I don't understand this, because I'm sitting straight above my router / desktop with excellent signal showing on the laptop. Plus the fact that I can look at the files, just can't run them.

15 answers to this question

Start looking for something under options, preferences or somewhere that shows you data path. I am not familar with Peachtree but it has to show up somewhere. Make sure that the data path is correct, I am guessing it ain't looking for it in the right spot.

Remember you have to have the "server" machine booted up before all the others, or the mapping will not be available.

C'mon you two.... wink.gif my "server" is never shut off, nor do I have it go into hibernation.

I can click on it under my computer, and it shows all the files, located where the data path is.

Also, if I go into the programs .ini file, that shows the same data path....

Hmmm....how are you pointing the application to the data. Drive mapping or UNC path? UNC would show up something like \\servername\sharename, the UNC path might be a bit less problematic.

Drive mapping with windows xp home, what's UNC??

Also, when I install Peachtree, or reinstall as the computer says to do when I can no longer detect the data path, it works fine. But then 1-2 days later, ir comes back to saying "Peachtree cannot detect data path".

UNC path

Universal/Uniform Naming Convention. A UNC path describes the location of a volume, directory, or file.

The format for a UNC path is \\server\volume\directory\file and is not case-sensitive. For example:

\\Shared1_svr\Shared1\WGroups\Network\Orders.xlsRather than describe the location of a file or directory by drive letter, the Network Group will typically communicate a UNC path to describe the actual location of a file or directory. Windows drive letter mappings are arbitrary, whereas a UNC path is specific and applies to all operating systems.

The strange part is that you can access the data manually but not through peachtree. The only thing that comes to mind is that if your server is down when it trys once to connect and that hoses things. But really that shouldn't happen. Do you have any kind of support from peachtree? Or at least browsed their support on site?

One other thing that comes to mind is that drive mappings sometimes take a bit to reactivate with XP, I have seen it with some of our home users. You almost need to double click on the mapped drive to activate before you try to access with an application. Try entering the UNC path as described earlier or the way they described it. It by passes all the drive mapping and the failings it has.

You enter it something like this: \\<servername>\<shared folder> The server name is the name of the PC acting as your server and the shared folder is the name of the share. I know in some cases it works better.

Quote:

UNC path

Universal/Uniform Naming Convention. A UNC path describes the location of a volume, directory, or file.

The format for a UNC path is \\server\volume\directory\file and is not case-sensitive. For example:

\\Shared1_svr\Shared1\WGroups\Network\Orders.xlsRather than describe the location of a file or directory by drive letter, the Network Group will typically communicate a UNC path to describe the actual location of a file or directory. Windows drive letter mappings are arbitrary, whereas a UNC path is specific and applies to all operating systems.

The strange part is that you can access the data manually but not through peachtree. The only thing that comes to mind is that if your server is down when it trys once to connect and that hoses things. But really that shouldn't happen. Do you have any kind of support from peachtree? Or at least browsed their support on site?

One other thing that comes to mind is that drive mappings sometimes take a bit to reactivate with XP, I have seen it with some of our home users. You almost need to double click on the mapped drive to activate before you try to access with an application. Try entering the UNC path as described earlier or the way they described it. It by passes all the drive mapping and the failings it has.

You enter it something like this: \\<servername>\<shared folder> The server name is the name of the PC acting as your server and the shared folder is the name of the share. I know in some cases it works better.

2 things...

Yes, I have support from Peachtree, but they broke it down to being a connectivity issue. I can create a bogus company on my server, and it shows up on the workstation, however I haven't tried to access that company from the workstation.

I don't understand how it could be a connectivity issue, unless I'm just not connecting at good enough "speed"?? I can access the internet, do basically anything I want on the laptop, but Peachtree doesn't want to access the data path.

As far as UNC, basically I'm telling the workstation the exact location of the file, not just telling it what drive the file is on, correct??

Upnorth - I appreciate your help on this. The reason I directed it towards Valv in the subject title was I knew he has experience running Ptree on a network and was wondering if he's ever run across a deal like this.

I'm reinstalling Ptree one more time tonight, the 4th time in a month to try to get this to work. If it doesn't work this time, maybe I'll just have to switch to a different program.

My mom's computer is tied into this network as well, maybe I'll install it on her computer and see if it works or if I have the same issues...

I'll post back if I have any more problems.

Thanks again guys....

Glad to help. If the UNC path thing don't work make there is no windows firewall issues.

I admit it I was hiding behind the curtains on this question... blush.gif

I don't know what to tell you. Every time I start Peachtree I have to open the company manually and point to my P: drive which is Peachtree folder on server.

It doesn't open the correct company automatically.

I can speculate you might have a problem now after you reinstalled it several times. Could be there's something in the Registry that is left behind from 1st installation and is crating all the problems.

You could call support and have them guide you to a complete full unistall, including registry keys any record.

Reboot computer then restart installation.

Well, I took the Ptree disc and completely removed everything, except I didn't go through and do the registry, if the "complete" uninstall doesn't take care of that.

I then reloaded the entire program and it all works.

We then took our 4 year old and 1 year old to Chuck E Cheese, and while we were gone, the battery ran out on the laptop.

When I rebooted the laptop, "Peachtree could not detect data path".

Did you try the UNC path instead of mapping a drive? If not try rebooting the laptop and opening up "My Computer" and double clicking on the mapped drive that you used for the data folder and then opening PeachTree. Sometimes XP has an issue with mapped drives, I have seen this with 2 applications at work and because they have to work off of a mapped drive they have to make sure the drive is available before they start the app. There are some versions XP that do this more than others.

Yep, tried the UNC version... Now I'm back to remapping all drives and reinstalling on all the workstations.

What I'm trying to figure out now is, am I not able to reconnect after the laptop loses power.

I'm going through step by step to see if I can isolate the reason that I'm no long able to access the program.

I'll try your next suggestion once it's reinstalled on the laptop.

I've gotta get out and load up some firewood sometime today too..... mad.gif

DING DING DING!!! I THINK WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

I rebooted the laptop, and double clicked on the mapped drive coming out of "my computer", then it worked.

I've narrowed it down to it's when the computer either dies from the battery, or gets turned off, either way, that's when it no longer detects the data path...

Thanks Upnorth!!

Seen this before with XP, and not really sure why. Hey happy to help you track this down. smile.gif

By the way for ease of reconnecting you can open up My Computer and right click on the mapped drive and select create a shortcut, it will say it can't create a shortcut here and ask you if you would like it on the desktop, say yes and you will have a shortcut to the mapped drive on your desktop for easy access.