Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lookincalifornia

new guy

8 posts in this topic

hey all

i am an iowan currently living in california. i spent two years in winona, and have a sister-in-law in houston. my wife and i LOVE the area, and plan on moving to lanesboro in the fall of 2011. i know that is a long way off, but i have already started using this site to plan my future fishing trips. i also have a buddy in rochester, and he could use all the fishing help he can get. my family and i will be in the area a few times over the next 5 years, and i hope to use information from this site to put my kids on some fish.

already i like the vibe that this board is putting off, can't wait to go to my 1st backwater brawl. i don't get to do alot of ice fishing here in sunny california.

i'm not really sure what i'll be able to add to the fourum, but i did live in winona, and fished alot. some of the names of the trout streams i fished have long been forgotten, but i will do what i can.

thanks for all the great updates, see ya soon

hey new guy! i lived in california for 27years, glad i got out!your from oakdale huh? i know exactly where that's at, i fished lake tulloch, new melones, and don pedro for big bass and rainbow and browns! i lived in san jose for a long time! went to the rodeo in oakdale before too!went to the frog jump contest too! you ever fish the delta? caught many big stripers, sturgeon,and big cat's. good fishing here, you'll like it!

Welcome to FM, lookincalifornia. I bet you're feelingminnesota, huh? smile.gif

Try your hardest to stay warm out there, and post away in here.

cool.gif

haven't hit the delta yet. i am a shore angler, and have heard that some of the accesses are in rough neighborhoods.

that is crazy that you fished the same lakes i fish now. i have been here four years, and am still trying to find new spots.

glad to see a garden fan out there.

and i am definately feelin' minnesota.

it's been so long since i've caught a walleye. there are a few lakes with pike, but they are considered a nuisence and it is illegal to put them back if you catch them. they must be killed. they would get huge eating all those trout if they would let them grow.

i know you can rent boats from lake tulloch resort,i have. if you ever do ,go to the second cove to the west on that side, i've caught largemouths anywhere between 3 and 8pounds or more! my friends parents had a cabin in that cove and i fish it alot back in the early 80's.spinner baits are the ticket there, and jig's down deep for smallmouths off the rocky point in that cove! smirk.gif

Cali, welcome from one Soundgarden fan to another. Glad you found us.

welcome to the sight! never be afraid to post. grin.gifyou found the greatest site and the best of friends here!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?

• proguide

Posted

Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 

The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.

Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.

• leech~~

Posted

26 minutes ago, DANR said:

From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes.

Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :):)

• FishinCT

Posted

They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope

• gizmoguy

Posted

Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.

• From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 

• Hello Friends:

Looking for some help as I've been up here since yesterday morning and only two 22" walleyes. I've fished fairly hard (5 or 6 hours) and tried all of my normal spots in Frazer/Smarts/Narrows area using all presentations with minnows and crawlers. Would love to have a walleye dinner (couple of 15's) for my black lab and I tomorrow night and any suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm not looking for spots, but general depth and bait.

Thanks guys

Andy

• delcecchi

Posted

It is great.  I don't know if they are still doing grumpy gary chicken this time of year but it is good.  They have specials on various nights, at least in summer.  

• Sculpin

Posted

Dennis Anderson, Outdoor writer for the Minneapolis Tribune had a nice write up on the duck opener at Pelican. In addition there were some locals quoted on duck hunting there. Sounds like the ducks are back, and they have the water levels well under control.

• Thanks Don! its a good time of year to be on the water!! :)

• fins_n'_feathers
      any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?
    • proguide
      Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 
        The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.
        Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.
    • leech~~
      Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring!
    • FishinCT
      They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope
    • gizmoguy
      Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.